Connectivity Conn Job - Page 6 - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #51 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-Feb-2018, 06:29 AM (520)
'05 R 1200 Gs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppyGreg View Post
we just asked ourselves "how much do we really need this stuff?" Haven't used anything except the Nav V for ages. Tbh I really only use it as a speedo anyway.
Can't justify the expense. Sorta like Klim gear...
Me too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troppo View Post
The solution?

Moulded earplugs.

If someone wants to ring me, they can wait.

Music? Been there, done that. Too distracting.

Feel the serenity...

I use a tank bag with a weatherproof transparent window on the top side. Stick my phone (untethered except for charging and a folded sectional map in it alongside my toll pass device. My Garmin 276 C makes a fine speedo and tells me what road I am on and what direction I am going. All I need on my '05 GS. I am with Troppo on these issues. Minimal distraction = safe and pleasurable riding.

BTW acronyms are my downfall so wth is a TFT?

'05 1200 GS

Last edited by Southpaw; 03-Feb-2018 at 07:12 AM (550).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-Feb-2018, 03:15 AM (385)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
Me too.
BTW acronyms are my downfall so wth is a TFT?[/B]
Why the big red letters?
Are you serious with the TFT? You are looking at them every day!

R1200GS Rallye - All Options - Nav VI - MaMo Light bars with LED - MaMo X-Covers - HexezCan - Stebel Horn
post #53 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-Feb-2018, 07:11 AM (549)
'05 R 1200 Gs

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcimark View Post
Why the big red letters?
Are you serious with the TFT? You are looking at them every day!
big red letters were in error. Were you offended?

I ride a 2005 and don't believe I have a TFT. So yes I am serious. Don't understand the snarkiness. Not here for an argument or insults, just for a chance to learn and share knowledge.

BTW, I fixed the big red letters for you. I finally found the TFT acronym with searches.

A TFT screen, formally called a "thin-film-transistor liquid-crystal display," is a type of LCD screen. TFT is used to improve the image of a regular LCD screen by attaching a transistor to each pixel, which provides more control over the color and images it can render.

'05 1200 GS

Last edited by Southpaw; 03-Feb-2018 at 07:14 AM (551).

post #54 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-Feb-2018, 11:35 AM (733)
Lifetime Rider of Bikes

Garage
Tft.

Naturally I bought a 17 GS following my RS purchase in 16 , so now i am very vested in the GS without the TFT. AM I sorry I didn't wait .. maybe . But the reality is I've been using the Same Nav V that came with my RS and satisfied myself with the latest BMW Clocks and readouts because that is how they come.

I don't really get why BMW puts so much design into the bodywork and mechanicals of these wonderful machines and always nearly always puts a shit seat on them and in most cases a useless windscreen then caps off the thing you look at most from the seat a cheap looking non pleasing dash arrangement that looks at best homemade. Evidently there are no technical designers in Germany who care about esthetics beyond the bike itself and engines.

I can be objectively critical because as a BMW dedicated rider for most of my riding experience I've never bought but one of them for its looks but rather for its function and efficiency of operation. That said. I would love to have the engineers hire an interior designer or someone who can create a dash panel worthy of the rest of the bike complete with all the current information arranged in a more esthetically balanced and readable configuration.

Last edited by Stixx; 03-Feb-2018 at 11:38 AM (735).
post #55 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-Feb-2018, 05:00 PM (958)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stixx View Post
Naturally I bought a 17 GS following my RS purchase in 16 , so now i am very vested in the GS without the TFT. AM I sorry I didn't wait .. maybe . But the reality is I've been using the Same Nav V that came with my RS and satisfied myself with the latest BMW Clocks and readouts because that is how they come.

I don't really get why BMW puts so much design into the bodywork and mechanicals of these wonderful machines and always nearly always puts a shit seat on them and in most cases a useless windscreen then caps off the thing you look at most from the seat a cheap looking non pleasing dash arrangement that looks at best homemade. Evidently there are no technical designers in Germany who care about esthetics beyond the bike itself and engines.

I can be objectively critical because as a BMW dedicated rider for most of my riding experience I've never bought but one of them for its looks but rather for its function and efficiency of operation. That said. I would love to have the engineers hire an interior designer or someone who can create a dash panel worthy of the rest of the bike complete with all the current information arranged in a more esthetically balanced and readable configuration.
I hear what you say...but I've never had a problem with the seat. The stock screen isn't bad, but it could do with some improvement....even if they just removed the dip in the middle and squared up the edges.
post #56 of 57 (permalink) Old 04-Feb-2018, 12:27 AM (268)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
big red letters were in error. Were you offended?
I ride a 2005 and don't believe I have a TFT. So yes I am serious. Don't understand the snarkiness.
It's just poor etiquette to write in big bold letters!
This looked to me like a bit of "Here I am" therefore I asked if you are serious about the TFT, as there was a big picture of a TFT screen right above your post.
You have TFT screens on many electronic devices, therefore I was sure you know what a TFT is and there are ongoing discussions on here and on every bike magazine page about the new TFT screens on bikes.
I don't feel offended at all, bit to old for that

R1200GS Rallye - All Options - Nav VI - MaMo Light bars with LED - MaMo X-Covers - HexezCan - Stebel Horn
post #57 of 57 (permalink) Old 04-Feb-2018, 12:35 AM (274)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stixx View Post
I don't really get why BMW puts so much design into the bodywork and mechanicals of these wonderful machines and always nearly always puts a shit seat on them and in most cases a useless windscreen then caps off the thing you look at most from the seat a cheap looking non pleasing dash arrangement that looks at best homemade.
How many other motorcycles have you extensively test ridden?
How many other motorcycle brands have you owned over a lengthy period of time?
BMW makes one of the best seats on motorcycles and ergonomics are a key factor for their designs.
The screen is a compromise for rider protection (people have different heights), looks and aerodynamics.
Every bike forum is full of people talking about better wind protection, so what is your point?

The new TFT is great and we have only compared this yesterday on a ride between my bike and a bike with a TFT screen.
Yes, the old dash is not the 'best' but far from the worst. The dash on my R1200R was actually really good (same as on your RS)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode