Connectivity Conn Job - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 57 (permalink) Old 24-Jan-2018, 09:22 PM (140) Thread Starter

Garage
Connectivity Conn Job

Hi, anyone out there getting full functionality from TFT with 3rd party communicators? Here in Australia BMW want AUD $700 for their brand of communicator which can only be fitted to a $1000 BMW helmet and they want 1hr workshop labour to plug the two together!!! Also, you can't use in ear monitors with the BMW rig, only the supplied ambient speakers. And of course you must double the cost of this imposition should you also need to outfit a passenger. BMW are trying to monopolise on what should ethically remain simple, universal Bluetooth Hands Free Protocols. This is nothing more than a shameful and arrogant price gouge. Additionally, why offer the emergency call function/option, when a simple direct call button to activate "Siri" or "Google Assistant" would have been loads more useful? Don't get me wrong, the TFT is no doubt a quantum leap forward but I think that BMW should really take another look at their firmware.
I use a set of Scala Rider Q1's and an Android Samsung phone. I don't have any additional Navigator of any brand. I can achieve about 90% compatibility with the TFT. All data transfer from the Motorrad App works fine, all my phone media and contacts are available on the TFT screen and I can control all functions via the multi wheel except playback volume. Pairing is a bit hit and miss but once connected it seems stable enough. The only thing that is out of whack is the phone audio. No audio signal is sent or received and if I try a call, a strange feedback loop occurs that will crash the Bluetooth connection. Also, can't say yet whether the intercom is stable or not. I have been in contact with Scala Rider and they are aware of the situation and they are currently working on a software patch to fix the compatibility issues. I wish them the best of luck, and I am sure that any 3rd party comms manufacturer who can crack the smarty pants BMW codec will be sitting on a gold mine. Watch this Space!
Crucian and chaostrophy like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 57 (permalink) Old 25-Jan-2018, 01:49 AM (326)

Garage
After a lot of rooting around

we just asked ourselves "how much do we really need this stuff?" Haven't used anything except the Nav V for ages. Tbh I really only use it as a speedo anyway.
Can't justify the expense. Sorta like Klim gear...
Southpaw and JW96 like this.

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy
post #3 of 57 (permalink) Old 25-Jan-2018, 02:48 AM (366) Thread Starter

Garage
It's true enough that none of us need any of this techno fluff, but if BMW are going to offer it, then they should make it accessible with no further investment required. Buy any new car these days at less than the asking price of a new r1200gs and you will get a Bluetooth Infotainment System that automatically functions with any mobile phone that you choose to pair it with. Why should the new TFT/Connectivity system be any different or any more complicated?
chaostrophy likes this.

post #4 of 57 (permalink) Old 25-Jan-2018, 05:48 AM (492)
Naviator

Garage
My GS doesn't have the TFT but my next one will (hopefully soon) and I want it to work correctly as it should.
I would not buy a BMW communicator just yet I'm 99% confident that all the issues with BT compatibility is something that BMW engineers are trying to sort out at the moment and that much of it will be addressed in the next few weeks via software updates.
But what do I know, most of my riding gear is made by Klim.

2013 R1200GSW

Last edited by JetSpeed; 25-Jan-2018 at 12:39 PM (777).
post #5 of 57 (permalink) Old 25-Jan-2018, 11:54 AM (746)

If you are in Sydney you are welcome to try it with my Sena 20S and see if that works. I also have a set of Scala Q1 and it is a pretty old device now where the Sena is a later version of the bluetooth protocol
post #6 of 57 (permalink) Old 25-Jan-2018, 11:56 AM (747)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppyGreg View Post
we just asked ourselves "how much do we really need this stuff?" Haven't used anything except the Nav V for ages. Tbh I really only use it as a speedo anyway.
Can't justify the expense. Sorta like Klim gear...
I can justify it easily as I like to have the extra information the TFT display plus I like the look of it. I do not need it though but I don't need the bike either.
PoppyGreg likes this.
post #7 of 57 (permalink) Old 25-Jan-2018, 01:17 PM (803) Thread Starter

Garage
I wouldn't hold out much hope of a back flip from BMW to address this issue. After all they created the problem by introducing exclusive codecs into the Bluetooth connection. The system is designed to use the TFT as the Bluetooth Hub. The phone and helmet must conform to the hubs protocols. (sadly the TFT doesn't play well with others). The TFT option is set to become available across the entire BMW range. All that BMW can see is the mass potential sales of their helmet and communicator combo. Let's see it turn round and bite em when other makers crack the codec and offer full functionality and compatibility with the TFT at a realistic price.
chaostrophy likes this.
post #8 of 57 (permalink) Old 25-Jan-2018, 01:26 PM (810)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st.AussieTFT View Post
I wouldn't hold out much hope of a back flip from BMW to address this issue. After all they created the problem by introducing exclusive codecs into the Bluetooth connection. The system is designed to use the TFT as the Bluetooth Hub. The phone and helmet must conform to the hubs protocols. (sadly the TFT doesn't play well with others). The TFT option is set to become available across the entire BMW range. All that BMW can see is the mass potential sales of their helmet and communicator combo. Let's see it turn round and bite em when other makers crack the codec and offer full functionality and compatibility with the TFT at a realistic price.
The BMW Navigator (made by Garmin) is also used as a bluetooth hub and has awful bluetooth issues. Like I said above, if you are in Sydney you are welcome to try the system with my Sena 20S to see if it works better.
post #9 of 57 (permalink) Old 25-Jan-2018, 01:36 PM (816) Thread Starter

Garage
hi Fredaroony, thanks for the offer to try the Sena but I'm rarely in Sydney. Out of interest can the Sena 20s intercom communicate with the Scala Q1? Also, is the Sena a better patch with the Garmin Nav than the Q1 was?
post #10 of 57 (permalink) Old 25-Jan-2018, 01:42 PM (821)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st.AussieTFT View Post
hi Fredaroony, thanks for the offer to try the Sena but I'm rarely in Sydney. Out of interest can the Sena 20s intercom communicate with the Scala Q1? Also, is the Sena a better patch with the Garmin Nav than the Q1 was?
Yes it can intercom with a Q1, I have used this setup with my wife using the Q1. You setup with one of the bluetooth connections and it works ok but it does have a little static.

No, it's not better with the Garmin nav as it's the nav that is the problem. I've tried several headsets and phones with it but the Nav is always the common denominator.

I have a Nav VI now but also had the same issue with the Nav V.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode