Aux light suggestion? - Page 2 - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 30-Jan-2018, 05:26 AM (476)

Just a little bit

Quote:
Originally Posted by justwant2ride View Post
X1 on these. Prior to installing these on my 2015 GS, practically every time I went on a ride I had a close call, someone pulling out in front of me or crossing over into my lane. after some research i had these installed. knock on wood, NOT 1 close call since. I am sure it is the yellow as that catches their attention firt IMHO. darlas because they are made by Clearwater, enuff said.
After 40 plus years of riding nearly 500K miles I have a decent sense of dangerous situation awareness around cars, but every little bit
Banzairf likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 30-Jan-2018, 06:40 AM (528)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by saughblade View Post
Look like the same ones I got from Amazon for the same purpose:

Not having an EZ-CAN adapter, I just wired up a $4 Bosch relay (triggered by the low beam headlight lead, which is always hot on an '06) to power them from the battery. The lights came without wiring, so between the lights, longer bolts and spacers for mounting, wire, connectors and shrink tubing the whole project cost me maybe thirty bucks. Mounting was extremely easy, as I just bolted them to the existing holes where the beak is attached to the frame.

They are actually somewhat brighter than they look the photo. Seems to me LEDs always look dimmer in cell phone camera pix. I haven't had a chance to see if they actually light up the road any better at night (they are 1000 lumens each, about 2/3 of a 55-watt halogen), but they certainly seem to increase daytime visibility.
Looks good. If you ever decided to go with the Hexezcan I don't think you'd be disappointed. It allows the the light to go half power on low beam and do the quick 3 burst "Flash to Pass." At one point, if the Denali D6 brake light comes out I'll put that on the Hexezcan.
PoppyGreg likes this.

--
2017 R1200GS
1992 K75S
2013 G650GS
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-Mar-2018, 05:04 PM (961)

Garage
Im about to do the same thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by saughblade View Post
Look like the same ones I got from Amazon for the same purpose:

Not having an EZ-CAN adapter, I just wired up a $4 Bosch relay (triggered by the low beam headlight lead, which is always hot on an '06) to power them from the battery. The lights came without wiring, so between the lights, longer bolts and spacers for mounting, wire, connectors and shrink tubing the whole project cost me maybe thirty bucks. Mounting was extremely easy, as I just bolted them to the existing holes where the beak is attached to the frame.

They are actually somewhat brighter than they look the photo. Seems to me LEDs always look dimmer in cell phone camera pix. I haven't had a chance to see if they actually light up the road any better at night (they are 1000 lumens each, about 2/3 of a 55-watt halogen), but they certainly seem to increase daytime visibility.

Here is a link to them on Amazon.
I have the lights but nothing else yet.
Anyone have any instructions, tips, vids or anything that a trained monkey/dunce/me could follow to install without stuffing it up? Like big colour pictures and words of one/maybe two syllables. Yeah I'm good...lol

Mine's a 2010 btw
Thanks
Greg

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy

Last edited by PoppyGreg; 02-Mar-2018 at 05:06 PM (962). Reason: Add info

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-Mar-2018, 07:25 PM (059)
Senile Member on 2006 GS

Garage
Well, I can tell you how I installed mine on my '06 GS. I think the '10s are substantially similar (no LED headlights, etc).

Mounting: I just mounted the spotlights to the same holes that attach the beak to the subframe that supports the oil cooler. Remove the two T25 (?) screws, then gently pry off the clip nuts on the frame tabs. The lights come with 5mm bolts (I think--whatever size takes a 10mm wrench). You will need slightly longer ones. I also put in a couple spacers, maybe 5mm long, between the light and the beak.

Wiring: most of the information you will need to wire the system is found on this page:

Motorcycle Info Pages - R1200GS Lights / Spotlights > Hella FF50 Spotlights

Scroll down past the part about mounting lights to the crash bar.
PoppyGreg likes this.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-Mar-2018, 10:36 PM (191)

Garage
Thanks mate

You're a legend.
PS did a quick time/date conversion between us - your reply was about 9pm yesterday...received about 2:30pm today 3MAR here.
Wanna know what happens? Lol
Cheers
Greg

post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-Mar-2018, 01:47 PM (824)

A 20k+ bike and some are complaining about how expensive Clearwater Lights are.. There lights have been mounted on two GS/A' s that I've owned. They've been great with customer service when issues arrised..no questions asked when items needed to be replaced..way after the warranty expired.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-Mar-2018, 12:01 AM (250)

Garage
So the lights are hooked up

Odd moment - at first they seemed to be in different modes (one flashing, one low beam, etc) then, after a while I went back with the intention of troubleshooting, and all working fine?!?!?.
Well hey, I'm not asking questions...
Will still install the ezCan asap.
Thanks all for your insights and comments.
Greg

PS went with crash bar mounting

Last edited by PoppyGreg; 04-Mar-2018 at 12:06 AM (254). Reason: PS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode