Pannier Racks: BMW vs Touratech vs Brooks - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By rrrdbw

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 23-Feb-2018, 09:42 PM (154) Thread Starter

Pannier Racks: BMW vs Touratech vs Brooks

Hoping someone can shed some light on the pannier racks. Are the BMW pannier racks better/stronger than the Touratech or Brooks models? My main concern is where the rack connects at the passenger foot peg area. Which is better/stronger?
- The BMW uses a bent piece of metal to attach the rack;
- The Touratech uses a flat piece that is welded to the rack tubing to slide into the foot peg mounting area;
- Can't tell about the Brooks from the photos and various videos on the internet. It almost looks like the the tubing is flattened at the end to mount into the foot peg area. Or is it an actual flat piece welded to the tube like the Touratechs?

Also, anyone know the ballpark price for a set of the GSA pannier racks? Didn't get a chance to call the dealership before they closed and now I'm curios. Do they make it in black? Have only seen the silver ones (yeah, I'm being lazy).

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 26-Feb-2018, 10:27 AM (685)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve339 View Post
Hoping someone can shed some light on the pannier racks. Are the BMW pannier racks better/stronger than the Touratech or Brooks models? My main concern is where the rack connects at the passenger foot peg area. Which is better/stronger?
- The BMW uses a bent piece of metal to attach the rack;
- The Touratech uses a flat piece that is welded to the rack tubing to slide into the foot peg mounting area;
- Can't tell about the Brooks from the photos and various videos on the internet. It almost looks like the the tubing is flattened at the end to mount into the foot peg area. Or is it an actual flat piece welded to the tube like the Touratechs?

Also, anyone know the ballpark price for a set of the GSA pannier racks? Didn't get a chance to call the dealership before they closed and now I'm curios. Do they make it in black? Have only seen the silver ones (yeah, I'm being lazy).

Thanks.

Just because this went so smoothly for me and a price much reduced vs what I would have paid in USA, I recommend KFM and here are BMW part numbers on their site:

For the top case (I have the GS; the GSA already comes with this)
BMW Luggage grid = 191.56 EUR = 235.59 USD
part number 46548522360
https://www.kfm-motorraeder.de/cms/e...id=46548522360

There are 3 tubular parts to the left and right panier racks:

on the RHS...
BMW Case carrier, right = 136.94 EUR = 168.43 USD
part number 46548520068
https://www.kfm-motorraeder.de/cms/e...id=46548520068

on the LHS...
BMW Case carrier, left = 136.94 EUR = 168.43 USD
part number 46548520067
https://www.kfm-motorraeder.de/cms/e...id=46548520067

around the back...
BMW Cross brace = 39.13 EUR = 48.13 USD
part number 46548520069
https://www.kfm-motorraeder.de/cms/e...id=46548520069

these fit in between the passenger footpegs and the frame and then bolt to the case carriers on the left and right sides...
BMW Set mounting parts for case porter = 65.21 EUR = 80.21 USD
part number 77418543993
https://www.kfm-motorraeder.de/cms/e...id=77418543993

if like me, youre on the GS and not the GSA, you need different passenger footrest plates. Let me know and I can give those numbers to you.

I get nothing from posting these links and data. KFM just saved me quite a bit of money. Ensure that your year and make of GSA are consistent with these parts before ordering because they charge 50 EUR for every 1000 parts shipped stateside.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 26-Feb-2018, 11:23 PM (224) Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedepp View Post
Just because this went so smoothly for me and a price much reduced vs what I would have paid in USA, I recommend KFM and here are BMW part numbers on their site:

For the top case (I have the GS; the GSA already comes with this)
BMW Luggage grid = 191.56 EUR = 235.59 USD
part number 46548522360
https://www.kfm-motorraeder.de/cms/e...id=46548522360

There are 3 tubular parts to the left and right panier racks:

on the RHS...
BMW Case carrier, right = 136.94 EUR = 168.43 USD
part number 46548520068
https://www.kfm-motorraeder.de/cms/e...id=46548520068

on the LHS...
BMW Case carrier, left = 136.94 EUR = 168.43 USD
part number 46548520067
https://www.kfm-motorraeder.de/cms/e...id=46548520067

around the back...
BMW Cross brace = 39.13 EUR = 48.13 USD
part number 46548520069
https://www.kfm-motorraeder.de/cms/e...id=46548520069

these fit in between the passenger footpegs and the frame and then bolt to the case carriers on the left and right sides...
BMW Set mounting parts for case porter = 65.21 EUR = 80.21 USD
part number 77418543993
https://www.kfm-motorraeder.de/cms/e...id=77418543993

if like me, youre on the GS and not the GSA, you need different passenger footrest plates. Let me know and I can give those numbers to you.

I get nothing from posting these links and data. KFM just saved me quite a bit of money. Ensure that your year and make of GSA are consistent with these parts before ordering because they charge 50 EUR for every 1000 parts shipped stateside.
Thanks for the info. Wow. I have the GS, so I would have to get the other foot pegs. So, it's going to be at least $700.00 just for the racks alone. Those Brooks racks are looking really good, right now.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 27-Feb-2018, 01:39 AM (319)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve339 View Post
Thanks for the info. Wow. I have the GS, so I would have to get the other foot pegs. So, it's going to be at least $700.00 just for the racks alone. Those Brooks racks are looking really good, right now.
Yes those are another 170 roughly.

BMW Footrest plate, rear right =110.19 EUR = 135.53
part number 46718526741
https://www.kfm-motorraeder.de/cms/e...id=46718526742

BMW Footrest plate, rear left =110.19 EUR = 135.53
part number 46718526741
https://www.kfm-motorraeder.de/cms/e...id=46718526741

Keep in mind this includes set up for top case which is 235.59 = third of the 685.79 cost without the footrest plates. GSA owners only need the 685.79 - 235.59. The GS has standard set up for Varios that many prefer. I do not - for offroad I prefer durability of adventure kit.

Last edited by goethe; 27-Feb-2018 at 01:50 AM (326).
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-Aug-2018, 11:54 AM (704)

My 2 cents.

I was going to go for the Brooks, since they are cheaper and local for me. I watched all the videos on install and youtube reviews. I have also personally seen how they mount to GSA. They secure by threaded rounded plastic screw. I also read about a ride whose box came off due to not tightening the screws tight enough. I read users rigging the screws by replacing them with aftermarket bolt and screws or locktite them. I was going to pull the trigger on the Brooks. Fortunately they were n back order for a long time and I could not wait.

My lovely GF purchased the original BMW panniers for me that I was too cheap to get. Now that i have them and the things I have put them through, the cheaper knock offs would not have lasted. I took my GSA for an adventure, few weeks ago. Several drops, hard off road riding and hard hits from tree stumps, bushes and trees later they are still good as new. A little dinged and scratched , but they remained air/water tight and looked as good with battle scars to add to poser points.

If I had the Brooks, and seen how they mounted on my GSA, some of the hits that I took with BMW pannier, because the way they solidly attach to mount they took the full force and stayed on. The Brooks would have snapped at mounting points.Not to mention several times I had to purposely lay the big GSA on it's side so I can rotate and change direction on narrow trails. Yeah I could have gone cheaper, but I would probably regret getting the Brooks after my adventure. In those situations when you do something stupid or make bad adventure decision, the last thing you want to worry about is if your gear will fare through the unknown shit storm coming your way. For peace of mind spend the money and go with BMW panniers. GO cheap elsewhere. You can probably go Brooks top case.

*** if you your adventure consist of pavement and Starbucks, then you might get away with Brooks. *** Buy the Brooks pannier bags they are great and will fit BMW panniers at less than half the price.
K7TNT likes this.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 20-Mar-2019, 11:43 AM (697)

With all respect, your post on the Brooks cases is inaccurate and misleading. The cases are held in place with thick metal bars, that latch behind the frames and attached to an 8mm threaded rod which goes through to the inside of the case, at two points. If anyone can break these in an impact, or the two huge nylon "hooks" at the bottom of the case, then there's going to be extensive damage to the rest of the bike and the rider and the cases will be the least of their concerns. The plastic "wheel" which I think is what you are referring to, when you talk about plastic parts, is purely an outer over a metal nut that assists you in tightening said nut, then there is also a lock nut that also tightens against it to ensure they cannot come loose. If someone had one fall of then that was completely down to user error and ineptitude. To imply they are only good for going to Starbucks is a complete misrepresentation of the cases and their abilities, I do not have a direct comparison, but IMO they are stronger than the BMW OEM setup based on the research I did before buying mine.

I don't care what cases people buy, but to write these cases off based on a lack of understanding of the system and thereby misleading other potential buyers is not helpful to anyone. I bought mine last May and they have been fantastic in every way. Initially I kept a sharp eye on the "nuts" that lock the mounts, but to date I've never found them to work loose ever, and rarely check them now.

Last edited by redhawk4; 20-Mar-2019 at 11:56 AM (706).
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 20-Mar-2019, 12:16 PM (719)

Garage
I count Starbucks stores every time I go for a 10,000 mile ride. When I coffee up, it's my onboard Aeropress.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 20-Mar-2019, 07:19 PM (013)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk4 View Post
With all respect, your post on the Brooks cases is inaccurate and misleading. The cases are held in place with thick metal bars, that latch behind the frames and attached to an 8mm threaded rod which goes through to the inside of the case, at two points. If anyone can break these in an impact, or the two huge nylon "hooks" at the bottom of the case, then there's going to be extensive damage to the rest of the bike and the rider and the cases will be the least of their concerns. The plastic "wheel" which I think is what you are referring to, when you talk about plastic parts, is purely an outer over a metal nut that assists you in tightening said nut, then there is also a lock nut that also tightens against it to ensure they cannot come loose. If someone had one fall of then that was completely down to user error and ineptitude. To imply they are only good for going to Starbucks is a complete misrepresentation of the cases and their abilities, I do not have a direct comparison, but IMO they are stronger than the BMW OEM setup based on the research I did before buying mine.

I don't care what cases people buy, but to write these cases off based on a lack of understanding of the system and thereby misleading other potential buyers is not helpful to anyone. I bought mine last May and they have been fantastic in every way. Initially I kept a sharp eye on the "nuts" that lock the mounts, but to date I've never found them to work loose ever, and rarely check them now.
I totally agree with you redhawk......I have the moskos and my buddy has the Brooks......and we have ridden into the Himalayas and back.....and yes we have fallen and rolled, hit rocks, grounded in rivers and water crossings and his brooks have held up.....and no they dont snap away as described.....they have been rock solid and I am also considering a pair.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 20-Mar-2019, 07:23 PM (016)

Well with me and Virkdoc's friend, that's two happy customers at least three if Virkdoc is allowed to have a "vicarious positive experience" through his riding buddy.

Last edited by redhawk4; 20-Mar-2019 at 07:30 PM (021).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode