Aftermarket seat for GSA - Page 3 - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 23-Aug-2018, 12:38 PM (734)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwibiker View Post
I have a 2016 GSA and am considering a replacement seat as the stock one is literally a pain in the ass after not very long at all.
On my 2015 GSA, I too found the stock saddle intolerable after only 3,000 miles. Since I was on tour out west at the time, I ordered a replacement saddle from Bill Mayer for two reasons primarily: 1) they make their own seat pans so that the stock seat is not sacrificed, 2) they would drop ship it to me at a friend's place in Colorado. I shipped the stock seat home and occasionally put it back on the bike when carrying a pillion since the stock pillion seat won't mount along with the Mayer saddle.

Since then the bike has over 70k miles on it. I regularly ride over 500 miles per day and have been satisfied with the saddle in both sit-down touring or standing adventure position. At the time, the seat was the same price as Russel Day Long saddle, ~$600.

Don

2015 BMW R1200GSA.......2008 Kaw Concours 14......1974 Kaw Z1
2013 Triumph Trophy SE....2004 BWM R1150RT..........1973 Kaw H1
2010 Kaw Concours 14......1981 Kaw KZ1000

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 23-Aug-2018, 06:54 PM (995)

Looking at their website, apparently now it's send your seatpan in and $600...
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 23-Aug-2018, 10:45 PM (156)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwibiker View Post
I have a 2016 GSA and am considering a replacement seat as the stock one is literally a pain in the ass after not very long at all. What is everyone's experience and is there any consensus or should I just save my money and stick with my Airhawk? All opinions/suggestions appreciated.
I have an 18 GSA with the high suspension. I went with a Sargent heated front and Sargent non heated back. I had a Sargent on my K1600 GTL and loved it. I was told by them that their standard seat would be maybe 1/2 in lower than my stock seat on my high suspension. He told me the high suspension bikes have a thicker seat pad than the lowered bikes. I thought the lowered bikes were all done in the frame being lowered, but the seat must be a bit of that equation as well.

My seat now in the low setting is just right where I can flat foot the bike on both sides. I am 6 foot tall and longer in the legs. But in the high setting, I am on the balls of both feet. The problem is with my seat, in the low setting, it throws me forward into the tank. When its on the high setting the seat is flat and perfect but than I am to high.

Sargent said their seat will not throw me forward like the factory seat. My K1600 seat seamed the same way, until I put the Sargent on. The funny thing is I have been doing over 200 mile travels on the bike now with this seat that drives me nuts, and it really doesn't hurt so bad now lol When I first started it would get to me after 20 miles. I still hate being slid into the tank, but the padding I am getting used to.

I will update when I get the Sargent, and post some pictures.

post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 24-Aug-2018, 07:38 AM (527)
Super Awesom Person

Quote:
Originally Posted by Direwlf View Post
I have an 18 GSA with the high suspension. I went with a Sargent heated front and Sargent non heated back. I had a Sargent on my K1600 GTL and loved it. I was told by them that their standard seat would be maybe 1/2 in lower than my stock seat on my high suspension. He told me the high suspension bikes have a thicker seat pad than the lowered bikes. I thought the lowered bikes were all done in the frame being lowered, but the seat must be a bit of that equation as well.

My seat now in the low setting is just right where I can flat foot the bike on both sides. I am 6 foot tall and longer in the legs. But in the high setting, I am on the balls of both feet. The problem is with my seat, in the low setting, it throws me forward into the tank. When its on the high setting the seat is flat and perfect but than I am to high.

Sargent said their seat will not throw me forward like the factory seat. My K1600 seat seamed the same way, until I put the Sargent on. The funny thing is I have been doing over 200 mile travels on the bike now with this seat that drives me nuts, and it really doesn't hurt so bad now lol When I first started it would get to me after 20 miles. I still hate being slid into the tank, but the padding I am getting used to.

I will update when I get the Sargent, and post some pictures.
My Sargent seat seems flat in the low position. I don't know if you know this but unlike your 1600 the GS seat has an adjustment for the back of the seat as well. You also need to remove the rubber screw-in plugs on the Sargent seat to put it in low.
Direwlf likes this.

Rick
2018 R1200GS
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 24-Aug-2018, 08:30 AM (562)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick92040 View Post
My Sargent seat seems flat in the low position. I don't know if you know this but unlike your 1600 the GS seat has an adjustment for the back of the seat as well. You also need to remove the rubber screw-in plugs on the Sargent seat to put it in low.
Flat is what I am looking for, thanks! I did know about the back adjustment, but did not know about the plugs in the Sargent seat. Thanks for the heads up!
post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 25-Aug-2018, 08:35 AM (566)

Quote:
Originally Posted by judgedelta View Post
Looking at their website, apparently now it's send your seatpan in and $600...
Thanks for mentioning that. It's unfortunate that BMS has stopped offering their own seat pans. I'm just glad that it worked out for me while on tour in 2015.

Don

2015 BMW R1200GSA.......2008 Kaw Concours 14......1974 Kaw Z1
2013 Triumph Trophy SE....2004 BWM R1150RT..........1973 Kaw H1
2010 Kaw Concours 14......1981 Kaw KZ1000

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 28-Aug-2018, 08:19 AM (555)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsa_guy View Post
got the saddleman 2 weeks ago , i now have 1200 miles on it. its a winner.
the gel makes all the difference. looks good too.

https://www.saddlemen.com/r1200gs-2013-up

That is a really good looking seat. I hear the gel can get really hot if sitting the sun. Has that been a problem?

Clark
2017 R1200GSA
"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens." (Jimi Hendrix)
post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-Nov-2018, 01:41 AM (320)

Seat

Iíve got a low version Sargent on my 16 GSA. Done quite a few Auckland Wgtn return trips with it. Extremely happy and imo, well worth the money over the stock seat. Youíre welcome to come and give it a try. PM me if int. Geoff.
post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 26-Nov-2018, 08:38 PM (110)

seat

I had TerrysCustom seats build me one. It was great. Love the seat and the price is great. Check them out.

ed
bigjohnsd likes this.
post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 27-Nov-2018, 03:56 AM (414)

I have a Corbin tall seat on my 16 GS very comfortable, RDL seats are by far the most popular for comfort on long rides if you have the inseam to accommodate the extra height of the seat about 3/4"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode