Aftermarket seat for GSA - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 26-Apr-2018, 12:13 PM (717) Thread Starter

Aftermarket seat for GSA

I have a 2016 GSA and am considering a replacement seat as the stock one is literally a pain in the ass after not very long at all. What is everyone's experience and is there any consensus or should I just save my money and stick with my Airhawk? All opinions/suggestions appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 26-Apr-2018, 12:26 PM (726)
Survivor

Garage
I use a Terry Adcox seat and am very pleased. $250 plus shipping.
https://www.terryscustomseats.com

sranderle likes this.

Kevin
The Outpost, Silver City, Montana
Team Pterodactyl
2018 Ural Gear Up, 2017 R1200GSA
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 26-Apr-2018, 12:32 PM (731)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwibiker View Post
I have a 2016 GSA and am considering a replacement seat as the stock one is literally a pain in the ass after not very long at all. What is everyone's experience and is there any consensus or should I just save my money and stick with my Airhawk? All opinions/suggestions appreciated.
Is the Airhawk working out for you? If so, why bother throwing $400+ dollars on a seat a hundred bucks fixed?

I can tolerate the seat for 3 hours. I do have an Airhawk cushion "just in case." I've wondered about the same thing. It's a matter of those straps sliding around, it can raise your heals if slightly vertically challenged. A fully affixed seat won't have that issue. But... "Is it a 400-700 dollar issue."

From what I've seen you'll get 3 or more answers on which seat someone else bought.

Here's my criteria, maybe it's yours.

Am I going to spend more than 3 hours in a seat at a time? Prolly 6-8 on long trips.
Infrequently: Stick with the cushion if it works
Frequently: Get the seat your budget can afford based on advice from long haulers. Everyone has an ass, but every asshole has a different opinion.
Airhawk makes seats. I have yet to see a review. Rumor is it takes 2 weeks and is non-returnable from the manufacturer. I have used Revzilla, they likely have them in stock. They do have a fairly reasonable return policy on most items. They also have Sargeant seats.
Advart likes this.

--
2017 R1200GS
1992 K75S
2013 G650GS

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 27-Apr-2018, 04:00 AM (375)
Reprobate

To answer your question, the only consensus is that pretty much anything is better than stock.

Folks with a Sargent butt swear by Sargent. Folks with a Corbin butt swear by Corbin, etc. The best saddle if your butt doesn't fall into the off the shelf category is one custom made for you. On the GS if you never do technical stuff and ride like you're on a road bike nothing beats a Russell Day Long. I had one and won't deny it gave week long comfort on the road, but I also like to explore and found that those huge wings that were so comfy on the road kept me from being able to slide my weight back on steep descents. They dug painfully into the back of my thighs and at the end of the day it felt like I'd been kicked. I switched to a Bill Mayer Saddle and have been delighted.

So IMO step one is for you to define your riding needs and style. Step two would be to find saddle options that meet those criteria

Pete
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 27-Apr-2018, 08:52 AM (578)

Location: Washington, Idaho, Utah, Maryland, Nevada, Mississippi, Germany, Alaska, Texas, Italy...
Garage
The best for my butt (Having tried Corbin, Sergeant, Saddlemen, Stock, and Air Hawk pad as well as an Alaskan Sheepskin Buttpad) and my last purchase (and what I'll buy for every motorcycle I own from now on) was a Russell Day Long saddle. 9 hours - no problem! Standing up off road? No problem! Cold day - the seat is HOT! It's frankly amazing. If you get a chance to sit on one, take it. If you take a chance on buying one, I'd bet you love it.
Attached Images

“There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.” -- Ernest Hemingway
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 27-Apr-2018, 11:02 AM (668)

From the website, it appears that if you buy one, you better like it, because there's no going back to your original seat.
Who sells a new seat made from scratch, as it were?
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 28-Apr-2018, 12:00 AM (208)

Location: Washington, Idaho, Utah, Maryland, Nevada, Mississippi, Germany, Alaska, Texas, Italy...
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by judgedelta View Post
From the website, it appears that if you buy one, you better like it, because there's no going back to your original seat.
Who sells a new seat made from scratch, as it were?
There's this thing called "the google" that is super helpful when you have questions. From what I understand, it scours the entire internet for the phrase you enter, and returns results! Amazing! Have you tried it?

Click this and see how it works!

*edit*
Teasing of course, but that would answer your question.

As far as the RDL - you're right, the seat is built on your existing seat pan - so there is a perfect fit (not something that can be said of all aftermarket seats). If you're leery of chopping up your seat because you've read of people that don't like their RDL seats (and I'd be interested to read up on that review, as I've never heard of such a thing!) I suppose you could buy a second hand OEM seat on ebay and send them that.
Viking likes this.

“There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Last edited by Sed8r; 28-Apr-2018 at 12:08 AM (214).
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 28-Apr-2018, 04:34 AM (398)

Hmmm, pretty sure its just "Google". I believe the vast majority of us use "Google" and not "The Google". The most notable person who called it "The Google" is George W... is Sed8r really George W?!?!?!

But apparently some people do use "The Google", you can read about it here. I already googled it - https://www.theonion.com/google-laun...lts-1819569348

Since we're teasing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sed8r View Post
There's this thing called "the google" that is super helpful when you have questions. From what I understand, it scours the entire internet for the phrase you enter, and returns results! Amazing! Have you tried it?

Click this and see how it works!

*edit*
Teasing of course, but that would answer your question.

As far as the RDL - you're right, the seat is built on your existing seat pan - so there is a perfect fit (not something that can be said of all aftermarket seats). If you're leery of chopping up your seat because you've read of people that don't like their RDL seats (and I'd be interested to read up on that review, as I've never heard of such a thing!) I suppose you could buy a second hand OEM seat on ebay and send them that.
Sed8r likes this.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 28-Apr-2018, 04:50 AM (410)
Reprobate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sed8r View Post

Sed8r = anesthesiologist?

Many people buy a secondhand seat (even torn) to send in as the turnaround time can leave you without a bike for extended periods. When I had mine made I did it over the winter as here in Vermont we're snowbound from late November till at least March.

Count me as one who didn't find the RDL met my needs. It's not that I didn't like it, as it was certainly the most comfortable saddle for the open road. But I take my GSA offroad quite often. And while your earlier comment about being able to stand up with an RDL is correct, I was not bowlegged enough to comfortably slide my posterior far back when descending steep dirt roads. The wings, which were great on well maintained roads, dug painfully into the back of my thighs in those conditions.

Most GS/GSAs are not ridden like that, hence my comments about taking one's riding style into consideration when looking at saddles. For me, the Bill Mayer saddle is as comfortable as the RDL with the added benefit of letting me shift my weight as conditions dictate.

Pete
Sed8r likes this.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 28-Apr-2018, 07:33 AM (523)

Nope it's "the google" just like "on the line" duh come on guys get with it.

https://youtu.be/CewJ-ihIqaM
Sed8r and Advart like this.

Last edited by Mr. Adventure; 28-Apr-2018 at 07:38 AM (527). Reason: add
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode