Nav6 Gone unstable when installed in Bike - Page 2 - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 46 (permalink) Old 23-Oct-2018, 03:45 PM (864)

NAV VI screen

Hello Steve
I had a similar problem a year ago and contacted Garmin, describe the problem and tech support ID the problem right away.
First, did you get a message when first startup? the message is "poor satellite reception" if you did, do not move the bike or ride until message turn off as this will help. If problem persist then remove the Nav and reload the map and that is what I did, it works fine, good luck with it.

Tony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 46 (permalink) Old 24-Oct-2018, 12:14 PM (718)

Garmin acknowledges issue. The resolution will require RMA and you out of device for 7-10 days. Not sure if that means takes 7-10 days for them to receive your mailed n RMA and then they ship you new replacement Or whole process , Steven (robot chat did not provide full details)

I will be checking with dealership at lunchtime to see what they can do for me, since I purchased it there .

Update;
* Dealership will not do anything. Most they will do is play middleman and delay the return process. I envy the rider who's dealership took defective device, give rider new device and worked with Garmin

I am wondering why the dealership did not own up to the defective Garmin, and provide the above and beyond experience, specially when it's a small town shop. I purchased the Nav VI at dealership a little over 6 months ago, and it has BMW logo all over it.

* Garmin- chat very helpful to get the RMA process started. Answered a few questions sent me return process email and walked me through the process. Waiting for final email for return RMA. Whole process will take about 30 minutes.

* Sending only device, no battery( score) or accessories. I forgot to ask if they are shipping me a new device or refurbished ( i should have asked) . I hope the replacement is a BMW logo unit not a Garnin faceplate. I paid extra for the BMW logo, even though i did not get BMW expected service,

* let's see how long the process takes, shipping unit out tomorrow.

Last edited by rrrdbw; 24-Oct-2018 at 03:41 PM (862).
post #13 of 46 (permalink) Old 24-Oct-2018, 03:48 PM (867) Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurCity16RT View Post
Hello Steve
I had a similar problem a year ago and contacted Garmin, describe the problem and tech support ID the problem right away.
First, did you get a message when first startup? the message is "poor satellite reception" if you did, do not move the bike or ride until message turn off as this will help. If problem persist then remove the Nav and reload the map and that is what I did, it works fine, good luck with it.

Tony
No, I never saw the "Poor satellite reception" message (that I can recall). The unit would just out of the blue jump screens occasionally at first then just increased in frequency until the unit became useless to use.

17 R1200GS Low

post #14 of 46 (permalink) Old 24-Oct-2018, 03:58 PM (873) Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrrdbw View Post
Garmin acknowledges issue. The resolution will require RMA and you out of device for 7-10 days. Not sure if that means takes 7-10 days for them to receive your mailed n RMA and then they ship you new replacement Or whole process , Steven (robot chat did not provide full details)

I will be checking with dealership at lunchtime to see what they can do for me, since I purchased it there .

Update;
* Dealership will not do anything. Most they will do is play middleman and delay the return process. I envy the rider who's dealership took defective device, give rider new device and worked with Garmin

I am wondering why the dealership did not own up to the defective Garmin, and provide the above and beyond experience, specially when it's a small town shop. I purchased the Nav VI at dealership a little over 6 months ago, and it has BMW logo all over it.

* Garmin- chat very helpful to get the RMA process started. Answered a few questions sent me return process email and walked me through the process. Waiting for final email for return RMA. Whole process will take about 30 minutes.

* Sending only device, no battery( score) or accessories. I forgot to ask if they are shipping me a new device or refurbished ( i should have asked) . I hope the replacement is a BMW logo unit not a Garnin faceplate. I paid extra for the BMW logo, even though i did not get BMW expected service,

* let's see how long the process takes, shipping unit out tomorrow.
I never bothered to contact the dealer. I read somewhere that the process for this was to go direct to Garmin. They handled it like pro's! I'm expecting a 10-15 day turnaround.

Interesting that I was told (verbally) to return the unit with my case, screwdriver and cable but remove SD card and clear data. He said they sending me a _NEW_ (in-the-box) unit. Concerns me though that I have since read the fine print on the RMA to do just the opposite.

Hope I did not misunderstand them. Oh well, we shall see...

17 R1200GS Low
post #15 of 46 (permalink) Old 25-Oct-2018, 10:41 AM (654)

In California it goes out UPS. I factory reset, removed my SD card,removed battery and just sent the Nav VI. I verified with chat representative (Joyce) that I keep the battery she replied with a yes. They only want unit. I put in plastic bag stuffed with paper for protection, put in a small box and dropped off at UPS. To play it safe i made sure my return address is taped to front of unit, along with return paperwork. Now I wait and see, hopefully within a couple of days I will get email conformation of my units arrival and they are shipping me new one.

I noticed that when I factory reset, (powered off, place finger lower right, powered on , waited for system/loading then released) that it kept some of my tracks/history. It asked me for language etc: to set up, so i wondered why it kept some information. Also noticed that it kept my "passcode" to get into device. I thought factory reset wiped everything. Must be a security thing in case someone steals unit.
post #16 of 46 (permalink) Old 25-Oct-2018, 10:45 AM (656) Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrrdbw View Post
In California it goes out UPS. I factory reset, removed my SD card,removed battery and just sent the Nav VI. I verified with chat representative (Joyce) that I keep the battery she replied with a yes. They only want unit. I put in plastic bag stuffed with paper for protection, put in a small box and dropped off at UPS. To play it safe i made sure my return address is taped to front of unit, along with return paperwork. Now I wait and see, hopefully within a couple of days I will get email conformation of my units arrival and they are shipping me new one.

I noticed that when I factory reset, (powered off, place finger lower right, powered on , waited for system/loading then released) that it kept some of my tracks/history. It asked me for language etc: to set up, so i wondered why it kept some information. Also noticed that it kept my "passcode" to get into device. I thought factory reset wiped everything. Must be a security thing in case someone steals unit.
$#it! I left my battery in the unit... I'd better call them to straighten this out. Otherwise, I think I'll get a unit back sans battery and case.

17 R1200GS Low
post #17 of 46 (permalink) Old 25-Oct-2018, 10:56 AM (664)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevel3007 View Post
$#it! I left my battery in the unit... I'd better call them to straighten this out. Otherwise, I think I'll get a unit back sans battery and case.
Good luck with that. I doubt you'll get battery back. But good news, I have read in other forums that they will send you new in the box unit so it will come with everything. You won't have a spare. Go to Garmin chat right now and let them know what happened. I bet they will get your battery back. Explain that you were told to return the battery, but know someone (me) that did it yesterday and specifically told to leave battery out. If they wont comply I can give you my RMA number I am sure the details of my chats will be stored somewhere stating keep battery.
post #18 of 46 (permalink) Old 25-Oct-2018, 02:27 PM (810) Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevel3007 View Post
Ya so I called Garmin and they said they ship the replacement unit _WITH_ a battery. But my case and cable are going along w the old GPS itself to Taiwan to be "refurbished" so I am SOL for those.

Oh well ...

17 R1200GS Low
post #19 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-Nov-2018, 09:48 AM (616)

Update:

Garmin received my RMA Wednesday 10/31/18 and have shipped my replacement out today 11/2/18. Went out DHL not sure of how long it will take for me to receive. It's been 8 days since i sent out on the 25th of October. I was told i would be out of device for 7-10 days. So far we are on track.
post #20 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-Nov-2018, 12:39 PM (735) Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Garage
The replacement Nav6 unit from the good folks at Garmin arrived the other day - a brand spanking new unit with all the accessories.

Installed it back in the bike and took a short test drive. All good. I'll give it a few trips before I declare victory here but it looks promising.

Garmin didn't quibble on the issue and sent me a new replacement unit promptly. Good service and I'm a happy customer again.

17 R1200GS Low
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode