Nav6 Gone unstable when installed in Bike - Page 5 - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 46 (permalink) Old 31-Dec-2018, 11:25 AM (726)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crucian View Post
I'm surprised Garmin is asking so many questions about a known device fault. When I spoke to them mid-summer I explained a couple of symptoms and the tech adviser said, "Yup, Ghost Touch. The flaw is fatal, send it back and we'll replace".

This has nothing to do with the make/model of bike, the time of day, the pairing with any other device, period. I'm with. Stevel3007....defective touch screen. Even before my total failure the touch facility seemed balky but I just chalked it up to "that's how it is". After I received the replacement, touch screen appropriately sensitive.
Mine was fine until I updated software which puts my Garmin more up to date than my bike by a significant margin. Assume that's why they ask that question. Differences like this especially for 2 software environs that need to cooperate can throw off loads of symptoms that can be mis diagnosed as ghost touch. (iPhones had similar ghost touch issues 3 years ago when incorrect iPad adapters were used to charge them and when they were used outside their intended regions.)

Last edited by goethe; 31-Dec-2018 at 11:32 AM (731).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 46 (permalink) Old 31-Dec-2018, 02:34 PM (857)

Garage
OK, ?. If you have Ghost Touch, you know it. Can't speak to the rest....

When after describing "jumping", un-commanded screens Garmin ID'd the problem as a device warranty failure and replaced the unit. Not much future in muddying the waters that seem crystal clear to the Mfg.

Last edited by Crucian; 31-Dec-2018 at 02:39 PM (860).
post #43 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-Jan-2019, 09:42 PM (154)

Smile Nav 6 died

I had the same problem everyone is experiencing. I took the unit to the dealer. They'd had a few come in with similar problem. Parts guy did some question/answer with Garmin. As stated many time in this thread, it is a known problem. It not a problem with the screen but with the digitizer for the screen. The dealer sent it in and the turnaround was a little over two weeks. The replacement "new in box, cellophane wrapped". Back on the bike and after 1000 miles all is still well.
Crucian likes this.

I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move.
Robert Louis Stevenson

post #44 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-Apr-2019, 09:07 AM (588)

Garage
Sent my Nav6 into Garmin last week and received notification it is coming back soon. Will update you on its performance when received.

I had been holding out until I had a chance to upgrade my TFT. The Nav6 had the same screen anomalies everyone else experienced just after updating its software. I suspected that the communications between the device and the bike (specifically between TFT and Nav6) caused the wonkiness. Wont get a chance to test that theory as TFT is not updated and the Garmin is.

The above paragraph is a hat tip to Marc re 'if it isn't broke...'.

What I did notice is that I do use the Garmin a lot for visual confirmation of what waze is telling my ear to do. So I will be glad tho have it back.
post #45 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-Apr-2019, 02:44 PM (822)

Garage
Received the replacement. Alls good.
post #46 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-Apr-2019, 04:45 PM (906)

I, also, have the "Ghost Touch" problem. 10 minutes on the phone with Garmin today, mostly to make sure that they had my correct info. Tonight I have my UPS return label in hand. I'll send it out Monday. Hope to have it back for the Georgia Mountain Rally in 3 weeks.

Cliff
Lincoln County, NC, USA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode