R1200GS Forum banner

Locking tool box

8K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  Lowcruzr 
#1 ·
Hi all!

I'm searching for a small locking toolbox/box that I can mount securely on my bike (2015 gs). Touratech has one that mounts to the oem pannier rack, not the zega pro version. I have found a few, but again, only for the oem.

Any suggestions would be great.

Kam

#5 ·
I considered that, since the locking mechanism is partially exposed behind the seat; but if you aren't familiar with how the BMW seat locks work, it may take longer to figure out how to get a screwdriver in there and open the lock. A lock's just going to keep an honest or lazy person out anyway...

#7 ·
I see that Touratech and Adventure Designs recommend removing of the rear wheel splash guard if riding off road as it will hit and break. Also saw that mentioned on the Wunderlich model 2799116, but only if you have lowered suspension.

#9 ·
I have a SW Motech pillion luggage plate monted in lieu of the pillion seat. It locks in the forward position making it much more difficult to remove (note: In this picture I had it locked in the rear position). Added a Harbor Freight knockoff of a Pelican Case with four bolts for under $30. It is water tight, lockable and holds tools and air pump with ease.

#11 ·
I have a SW Motech pillion luggage plate monted in lieu of the pillion seat. It locks in the forward position making it much more difficult to remove (note: In this picture I had it locked in the rear position). Added a Harbor Freight knockoff of a Pelican Case with four bolts for under $30. It is water tight, lockable and holds tools and air pump with ease.

I thought about the doing the same thing. How do you like the Jesse cases? I asked them if they had an adapter kit for the GSA luggage racks before I bought the bumonts. They said they are working on them. All they have to do is move the bottom bracket to the center. I was going to try it on my old luggage I sold to my son but he didn’t think it was a good idea!

2016 R1200GSA
The Red Witch

#13 ·
I had a similar experience with Al Jesse. Back in February of '14, I had one of the first water-cooled GSAs in the US. I had ordered mounts and panniers for a '13 GS and Al wanted to know how everything worked out. As it happened, I went on a ride from NC to CA and stopped by Al's place in the west Phoenix area. He had just moved into that facility and gave me a tour of the place. He took a several measurements and photos and, after an hour or so, I was on my way. He contacted me later to see if I wanted a new mount for the left side. Seems he'd "tucked it in" just a bit. Good guy! Now, my son-in-law has the bike and, being an attorney, if he finds out those panniers could be worth millions, he'll hit me up to pay the taxes on his windfall.

Mike

#17 ·
Ok, got box. Installation was a snap.

Looks good and seems solid. Put my compressor, patch kit, hex and torx wrenches, small pliers.

My touratech panniers fit fine. I actually installed them before mounting to get perfect alignment.

I'm stoked!

Kam

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.