Tank Bag Suggestions - Page 2 - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 16-Nov-2018, 06:10 PM (007)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradB View Post
A couple questions: Can you tell me just how tall the bag is? (measured over the highest part of the tank) Do you have a more detailed picture of how/where you attach the lower straps?

Thanks!
I use the givi tank bag with their locking ring! Yes its a pain when you have to fuel up but with the big tanks its only a few times so works ok for me.

I like the handle bar bag but I have ROX Risers, and I read somewhere that with Rox Risers installed the handle bar bag obstructs the speedo.......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 16-Nov-2018, 08:07 PM (088)

Garage
Nelson Rigg Tank Bag Follow-up

At the gas fill the bag is about 4+ inches tall, unzipping the expansion increases it another 3 inches. It follows the contour of the tank so it really does not interfere with the riding seated or even standing, nor the handlebars with bar backs. I put the straps around the frame just behind the tank / seat intersection on each side. I'll put the bag on the bike and take some better photos over the weekend.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 17-Nov-2018, 05:55 AM (496)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guideboat View Post
At the gas fill the bag is about 4+ inches tall, unzipping the expansion increases it another 3 inches. It follows the contour of the tank so it really does not interfere with the riding seated or even standing, nor the handlebars with bar backs. I put the straps around the frame just behind the tank / seat intersection on each side. I'll put the bag on the bike and take some better photos over the weekend.
Thank you! I appreciate it.

I am looking for a bag that doesnít come up too high and block view of my phone (which I use as Nav a lot) in the RAM mount (mine is the low mount, itís barely above the handlebars) and while function is first, I also am concerned with aesthetics of any mount system. The Nelson Rigg bag sounds promising thatís why Iím interested in the mounts/straps and how they look/work. The price is right, too.

Iíve seen and like the Touratech bag mounts which provide a Velcro mounting pad at the base of the tank near the seat. Looks very clean and is easy to use. But they are really pricey and donít offer the utility/storage options others do for that kind of money.

The Enduristan bags are truly waterproof and the expandable model is pretty slick. They have a lot of pockets, dividers and utility. Seem very well thought out. But I think they may stand just a bit too tall on top of the tank to view my phone. And they are expensive, too.

Thanks again for your help.

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 17-Nov-2018, 11:39 AM (735)

Garage
Neslon Rigg

Here are some photos from the side. The bag, even in the high position which I do not use much, does not obstruct the handlebars or even a phone on the handlebar. I keep my phone in the tank bag clear section, works fine.

I have ridden in driving rain for hours numerous times and nothing has gotten wet inside the tank bag. I ride long distances regardless of the weather so I am not a casual rain rider. Most of the time in rain for short periods of time I do not even bother with the raincoat for the bag, remember I keep my electronics, small camera, etc in the bag and I have not had a problem. Fully waterproof - if you are that worried use a small inexpensive drybag or simple ziploc bags within the tank bag.

I added a powerlet SAE adapter to the bag through the rear pocket, connect to my Battery Tender SAE, and never had a moisture problem. ps, all the birds nest of wires you see are my heated gear controller wires which I have strapped to the bag for convenience while riding. In the summer there are no exposed wires except the SAE to the tender.

As for attachment to the bike, I run the straps under the rear of the tank between where the tank bolts to the frame and the small area under the tank above the frame, and through the head with the supplied straps, unbuckling one of the rear attachment points lets me slide the bag to one side to access the gas fill. Then reattach and tighten down. I also leave the straps permanently on the bike, tucking them under the seat when no tank bag in use. The head straps I tie together when no tank bag in use. No big deal. I also put a clear paint wrap on the tank to keep from getting small dust scratches over time, but that is just me being OCD. That I would do for any bag. Dust is like fine sandpaper under the bag and straps, regardless of the bottom side material on a tank bag.

This bag is inexpensive and works for all my needs, I have had tank bags for over 40 years and personally see no upside to expensive bags, but that is just me.

Here are the photos.
Attached Images

Last edited by Guideboat; 17-Nov-2018 at 11:43 AM (738).
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 17-Nov-2018, 05:05 PM (962)

This was extremely helpful! Thanks a lot. I'm going to give it a shot. Like you, I don't want to throw hard earned money at "big names" if it doesn't do anything more for me. Thanks again for the effort!
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-Jan-2019, 06:29 PM (020)

Garage
I have the Wunderlich Elephant tank bag. It's a great looking bag, made well, expensive like all the rest. I'm definitely going with this bag again when the time comes!
Attached Images

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 22-Jan-2019, 08:34 PM (107)

Mosko Moto Tank Bag

I saw the Mosko Moto Nomad tank bag on a 2018 R1200 GSA at the Vancouver motorcycle show last weekend. This fit very well. Good tank bag if you want a smaller capacity bag.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 23-Jan-2019, 12:23 PM (766)
'14 R1200 GS Adv "Freya"

Garage
I went with the Super Motech City Bag and its associated Clip onto the Tank Filler mounting system.

It has to be mounted all the way to the rear on the tank so that my bars with 40MM risers clear the bag, but no horn blows or the like as installed. It comes with a Rain Cover, I bought their Map Case also. I like having a paper map in view for general awareness and GPS to go some specific place.

So far I like it

Last edited by bigjohnsd; 26-Jan-2019 at 03:56 PM (913). Reason: Added second photo
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 24-Jan-2019, 09:55 PM (163)

Another plug for the SW-Motech Evo City bag. I won't always use a tank bag and was tired of having to remove the straps all the time when not in use. First impressions are that the bag is very well made. The mounting system does take a fair bit of room out of the bag, but for my intended use is not a problem.

Instructions for mounting were clear and very easy to complete.

Dave.

Dave
2018 R1200GS
2003 K1200RS
2010 Ducati 696 Monster
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 25-Jan-2019, 08:35 AM (607)

Garage
Givi bag here. I had a larger version that was just too large on my GSA and last summer went with their "sport" version that is just right. The shell is a bit more rigid than my old one and the smaller size perfect. One click and it's off, at a fuel stop.

I've seen mentions of gas cap problems after installing the ring but I never had an issue.

Fear of having it snatched off the bike when unattended for short periods isn't an issue. You have to know how reach under it on one side and actuate the lever in the right direction for it to release.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode