Trickle charger - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 16-Nov-2018, 11:20 PM (222) Thread Starter

Trickle charger

I ride as often as I can during the winter but I still keep my bike (2011 r1200gs) in a cold garage (I live in Ohio). Should I be using a trickle charger? If so, any suggestions regarding which one to buy? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 17-Nov-2018, 02:17 AM (345)

Garage
Yes on battery maintenance in a cold storage environment. I have had good success with an Optimate 4 manufactured by TechMate. It puts a small drain on the battery to test for condition and applies low amperage charge only when necessary.

I purchased the "4" that includes a standard and Canbus capability but on advice, utilize the standard mode via a pigtail with an SAE plug wired directly to the battery terminals. They make a "4" that doesn't include Canbus and may be less expensive?

Walking away from a charger for three months was not a act I took without concern. Two Winters in I now have confidence that nothing "bad" will happen. ��
r1200gs_jeff likes this.

Last edited by Crucian; 17-Nov-2018 at 05:59 AM (499).
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 17-Nov-2018, 04:46 AM (448)

I keep all my motorcycles on Battery Tenders when I'm not riding them regardless if it's riding season or not. I've done this for the past 20+ years with all my motorcycles and have never had an issue...

I have one of these for each of my motorcycles; https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...r-plus-charger

I'm sure there are less expensive alternatives but this is the one, or model I've been using for sometime...
rsmith, K7TNT and r1200gs_jeff like this.

Last edited by Advart; 17-Nov-2018 at 04:54 AM (454).

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 17-Nov-2018, 05:58 AM (499)

I used a Battery Tender Jr on all my Harley's and have used an Optimate 4 on all my BMW's plugged through the CANBus port. I have a pigtail directly connected to the battery and could do that if I needed to, but so far, no problem.

The only battery I have had to replace was one on a 7 year old Harley, it was the original 36 month battery.
Southpaw, rsmith and r1200gs_jeff like this.

Cliff
Lincoln County, NC, USA
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 17-Nov-2018, 09:48 AM (658)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crucian View Post
Yes on battery maintenance in a cold storage environment. I have had good success with an Optimate 4 manufactured by TechMate. It puts a small drain on the battery to test for condition and applies low amperage charge only when necessary.

I purchased the "4" that includes a standard and Canbus capability but on advice, utilize the standard mode via a pigtail with an SAE plug wired directly to the battery terminals. They make a "4" that doesn't include Canbus and may be less expensive?

Walking away from a charger for three months was not a act I took without concern. Two Winters in I now have confidence that nothing "bad" will happen. ��
Hi
I have the optimate 3 which I used on my Triumph. Haven't used it on my 2018 GSA. Planning to use this winter but it isn't through Canbus neither I have a piggy tail. Can it be directly connected to the battery terminals without removing the battery from the bike. The GSA has good setup where red or live Terminal also provided on the side with a cap unlike my Rocket where battery tender couldn't be connected without removing the saddle. Cheers

Sent from my ONEPLUS6 using Tapatalk
r1200gs_jeff likes this.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 17-Nov-2018, 12:13 PM (759)
Senile Member on 2006 GS

Garage
Yep. Not only do batteries self-discharge (even the high-tech AGM batteries do it a little), the electronics in your bike consume a small amount of power to keep the clock running and (more importantly) maintain memory in the engine control system.

I have a "Harley Global Battery Charger," which is really just a Battery Tender repackaged (and probably marked up a bit; it came with the Road King ). I just have those SAE pigtails on both of the bikes (and the boat battery) and swap the connectors every week or so. Gives me a reason to go out to the garage and reassure the bikes that summer will return.

The most amazing thing, by the way, is the boat battery--it's a sealed, non-AGM (you can hear the electrolyte slosh) unit that just finished its twelfth season!
r1200gs_jeff likes this.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 17-Nov-2018, 12:44 PM (781)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by devashishchanana View Post
Hi
I have the optimate 3 which I used on my Triumph. Haven't used it on my 2018 GSA. Planning to use this winter but it isn't through Canbus neither I have a piggy tail. Can it be directly connected to the battery terminals without removing the battery from the bike.
The Optimate 3 offers 0,8AMP which is fine. When I installed the SAE style pigtail I slid the battery out allowing for connection of both leads directly to the terminals. The pigtail tucks nicely along the battery cover when not in use. All you would need would be corresponding SAE plug on your Optimate to plug into the bike side when you wish to support the battery. Once the bike side is installed there is never a need to access the battery terminals to charge.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 17-Nov-2018, 01:52 PM (827)

Quote:
Originally Posted by devashishchanana View Post
Hi
I have the optimate 3 which I used on my Triumph. Haven't used it on my 2018 GSA. Planning to use this winter but it isn't through Canbus neither I have a piggy tail. Can it be directly connected to the battery terminals without removing the battery from the bike. The GSA has good setup where red or live Terminal also provided on the side with a cap unlike my Rocket where battery tender couldn't be connected without removing the saddle. Cheers

Sent from my ONEPLUS6 using Tapatalk

That is how I use my Optimate 3+ on my 2018 GSA; pig tail direct to the battery. I confirmed with Optimate and my BMW mechanic that there would be no problems doing it this way
devashishchanana likes this.

Riding "Sir Falls Downalot"

A wish is a desire without an attempt.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 17-Nov-2018, 05:46 PM (990)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Advart View Post
I keep all my motorcycles on Battery Tenders when I'm not riding them regardless if it's riding season or not. I've done this for the past 20+ years with all my motorcycles and have never had an issue...
Plus one, never an issue.

Traded in my 2014 F700GS for the 2018 R1200GS Low Suspension. The R1200GS has just been awesome.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 20-Nov-2018, 06:15 AM (510)

Trickle charger no no

The name "trickle charger" is often misused. They are just low amperage constant battery chargers. Like the others that have posted I use "Optimate" 3 and 3 plus for our fleet. All 4 bikes have a 2 pin sae connector wired to the battery and are plugged in all winter (6 months in Northern Ontario). There are many "smart chargers" on the market, just avoid trickle chargers. I have not purchased a motorcycle battery for more than 10 years.
Crucian likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode