Additional Rear Brakelight LED - Inexpensive yet Bright - Page 2 - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 30-Jan-2019, 07:49 AM (575)

Can you please take a picture from inside your top box. I have the same concern and have been planning to mount a light on the top box. I have my top box mounted 24/7, only the side panniers come on/off depending on if its a road trip vs ride to work through traffic.

The light you listed has two mounting points, wouldn't you need to then drill two holes for the light and one at the bottom to feed the wiring through?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 30-Jan-2019, 03:19 PM (888) Thread Starter
'14 R1200 GS Adv "Freya"

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowarrior View Post
Can you please take a picture from inside your top box. I have the same concern and have been planning to mount a light on the top box. I have my top box mounted 24/7, only the side panniers come on/off depending on if its a road trip vs ride to work through traffic.

The light you listed has two mounting points, wouldn't you need to then drill two holes for the light and one at the bottom to feed the wiring through?
I actually drilled four holes, two small holes for the mounting screws and two larger holes 1/4" in rear for the Wire to pass into the box, one 5/16" for the wire to pass out of the top box, I used a grommet on the exit wire, there was a built-in grommet where the wire exits behind the light.
DaveFromDenver likes this.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 30-Jan-2019, 04:18 PM (929)

Any tips on the the actual wire setup that you used? Amazon shows that it's a 5-wire light, with 14 different flashing patterns, so I'm curious what configuration you used. Thanks!

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 30-Jan-2019, 08:31 PM (105) Thread Starter
'14 R1200 GS Adv "Freya"

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by zekester63 View Post
Any tips on the the actual wire setup that you used? Amazon shows that it's a 5-wire light, with 14 different flashing patterns, so I'm curious what configuration you used. Thanks!
I used the configuration for a "Steady Light" for the LED (the Red and Gray wires are connected to the positive lead from the EZCan, the Black to the Black). The LED unit is then controlled by the EZCan and whatever you select as a program within the EZCan setup. Mine flashes when I brake and has an Emergency Stop Signal too.
I selected Flash on Braking and Emergency Stop Signal.

From the EZCan Website - Configuring the rear and brake lights
Brightness: The rear light brightness slider sets your accessory rear light's brightness between 0 - 100%. The brake light brightness slider sets your accessory brake light's brightness between 0 - 100%. If the accessory brake light is set to a type of flashing, this will determine the brightness of the flash.

Rear light vs brake light. The rear light is always on when the ignition is ON - but an accessory rear light can be turned off even when the ignition is ON. The bike's brake light is only activated on active braking - but an accessory brake light can be set to activate on other types of trigger too, like harsh deceleration. Be aware that an overly bright rear light setting can make a brake light less visible - an effect that can partly be countered by flashing. (See NOTE 1)

Five additional options for accessory brake lights:
No flashing: On braking the accessory brake light comes on at preset brightness and does not flash (mimics the bike's standard brake light)
Flash on braking: Accessory brake light flashes to preset brightness under any active braking
California 4Hz legal flashing: When braking, the accessory brake light flashes 4 times at 4Hz to the preset brightness and then remains on for the duration of active braking. So once the brakes are applied, the auxiliary brake light will flash 4 times within a second, then remain on until the brake is released. [See full legal requirement. 25251.5. (c)]
Emergency stop signal: Accessory brake light flashes whenever deceleration above 21km/h/s (kilometres per hour per second) is detected, either from active braking or engine braking. (See NOTE 2 for more information)
California legal with Emergency stop signal: The accessory brake light behaves as a combination of "California 4Hz legal flashing" as well as "Emergency stop signal". This means that under normal braking it will flash 4 times at 4 Hz and then remain on. In addition, it will also flash whenever the deceleration is larger than the preset harsh deceleration value. Please see options (3.) and (4.) above.
NOTE 1: The bike's brake light is always brighter than the rear light, but an accessory brake light can use the same LEDs for both rear and brake lights. It is important to remember that the brightness setting for the accessory rear light should be substantially less than the brightness setting of the accessory brake light to indicate braking

NOTE 2: Emergency braking will only activate above 50km/h. If you decelerate harshly (over the 21km/h/s threshold) and keep brake applied, the light will flash and continue to flash until the brake is released. If you tap-off (i.e. release the throttle, no brake applied), it will flash as long as the speed is over 50km/h and the deceleration is over the threshold. The two cases are:

Firstly, braking hard for an evasive manoeuvre, to warn traffic behind you to be aware that you have suddenly decelerated harshly - the accessory brake light keeps flashing as long as the brake is applied, and will continue to flash when the bike has stopped. The only way to stop if flashing is to release the brake.
Secondly, two riders riding along at high speed, and the rider in front taps off - a short burst of accessory brake light flashes will be seen while the deceleration is over 21km/h/s so that the rider behind knows to be cautious - even though the rider in front did not apply his brake.

Last edited by bigjohnsd; 30-Jan-2019 at 08:37 PM (109).
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 30-Jan-2019, 09:02 PM (126)

Wow, what a thorough reply! Thank you very much. I’ve been considering my options between wiring my own relay/fuse box for accessories like this or going the EzCAN route, and this mod definitely shows why the EzCAN not only makes it easy, but it also makes sense.

Thanks!
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 31-Jan-2019, 06:18 PM (012)

Garage
I installed it day 1 and got the led from superbright LEDs, running through the HEX EZ Can
It makes the bike really visible since all my buddies complain!
Attached Images

Southpaw likes this.
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-Feb-2019, 09:28 AM (644)
'05 R 1200 Gs

Quote:
Originally Posted by virkdoc View Post
I installed it day 1 and got the led from superbright LEDs, running through the HEX EZ Can
It makes the bike really visible since all my buddies complain!
Thank you for kick starting my memory. I actually bought that fixture from Super Bright last year and it is still in the box.

'05 1200 GS
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-Feb-2019, 06:11 PM (007)

Can't go wrong here:
https://admorelighting.com/

I got their one with Smart Brake and no CanBus issues.

2017 BMW GS Adventure Triple Black
Going to war without France is like going hunting without bagpipes, you just leave a lot of noisy useless baggage at home.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-Feb-2019, 06:23 PM (016)
Survivor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60Aviator View Post
Can't go wrong here:
https://admorelighting.com/

I got their one with Smart Brake and no CanBus issues.
Ardmore: $199-$239

Xprite Emergency Vehicle Light: $15, also no CANBus issues.
bigjohnsd likes this.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 14-Mar-2019, 08:49 PM (076)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohnsd View Post
I used the configuration for a "Steady Light" for the LED (the Red and Gray wires are connected to the positive lead from the EZCan, the Black to the Black). The LED unit is then controlled by the EZCan and whatever you select as a program within the EZCan setup. Mine flashes when I brake and has an Emergency Stop Signal too.

I installed one of these and when I first turn on the ignition the light starts flashing. But as soon as I tap the brake it starts functioning as expected (California legal with emergency stop...).

Does yours do this? Maybe I was supposed to ”program” the light first? From what I read, just connecting the red and gray together with the power from the EZCan was all that was necessary.

Again, its fine after I tap the brake... but until then it flashes back and forth (left and right pairs of LEDs).

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode