OEM v Wunderlich - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Rick92040

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 29-Jan-2019, 07:52 AM (577) Thread Starter
LAS

OEM v Wunderlich

Hi all, Iím new to this forum having just ordered an R 1250 GS HP to replace my trusty (92,000 trouble free miles) 2013 R1200 R. That bike was sadly lost to a cager who ďdidnít see meĒ as he ran into my rear on a highway as I was making my way to work.
As I wait for my new wheels to arrive, Iím riding my K1600GT in places where it is not meant to go and getting all of the essential adds together for the GS. One add is crash bars. I know there is much on this forum about them; I have read most, but still dont have a firm grasp on what will serve me best. So, I ask:
Wunderlich v. OEM v. SW Motech?

I think I like the looks of the Wunderlich best, but if aesthetics was the sole criteria, I wouldnít have any bars at all. So, Iím looking for info from folks who have had actual experiences with any of these bars-not just, ďI have them, but thankfully havenít needed themĒ? Which offers good protection? Which does not get in the way of servicing? Which has caused frame damage on a drop (my dealer suggests that OEM bars are designed to give on a drop while other bars actually cause bent frames)?
Lastly, for mostly road riding with some dirt, but not enduro, are tank bars worth having?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 29-Jan-2019, 09:08 AM (630)

Location: Livin' in a Poor Man's Shangri, La. aka New Orleans
Re crash bars

I cannot speak to the Wunderlich, but can to the other two.

I had SW Motech on my r1200r and have OEM on my 2016 r1200gs.
My experience with 0 mph tipovers is not that extensive, and had no crashes at speed, BUT...

I found the SW Motech MUCH softer (more likely to get bent/deformed) in that similar tipovers with the SWM vs the OEM were MUCH more likely to bend the SWMs than the OEMs( which have not bent at all). They, the SWMs, did work, but the OEMs seem to have more memory to spring back in the limited series of <10 tipovers.

I prefer the OEMs to the SWMs for that reason. And I think they look better---eye of the beholder and all that.
I will add that there is an advantage to the SWMs in that they can be touched up or painted whatever color you choose (shake can School Bus Yellow--a nearly exact match for the Ohlins underneath)

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 29-Jan-2019, 09:10 AM (632)
Super Awesom Person

I have the OEM bars and I keep hitting my right shin on them. They also charged me to remove them to do the valve check. I wish I had gone for the AltRider bars. AltRider bars are installed on the bikes at the BMW certified riding school if that tells you anything..
mikec likes this.

Rick
2018 R1200GS

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 29-Jan-2019, 10:53 AM (703) Thread Starter
LAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick92040 View Post
I have the OEM bars and I keep hitting my right shin on them. They also charged me to remove them to do the valve check. I wish I had gone for the AltRider bars. AltRider bars are installed on the bikes at the BMW certified riding school if that tells you anything..
Thanks, Rick. I had forgotten that I hit my left shin a time or two during a trip that I took through Sicily and mainland Italia on a rented GS that had OEM crash bars. I have ruled out the AltRider bars as I donít expect to be riding in places where those much stronger (11/4Ē diameter vs. 1Ē for othersí) bars are needed, Iím not a fan of the look of them and I had a bad experience with AltRider bars on my GT.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-Feb-2019, 04:01 PM (917)

I can confirm that the OEM bars bend/distort easily.....both sides.

The welded on tabs for the mounting bolts can be bent back into place, but you need a hydraulic press to shape the bars if they distort enough. I guess they do their job in reducing the forces applied to the frame, they being the sacrificial anode.

They offer no protection to the valve covers, you will need to buy some additional cover, many out there, I went with X-Head.

Outback Motortek is experimenting with prototypes for the R1200 GS and GSA, they have a solid reputation. I've thought of replacing the OEMs when OM start production
https://outbackmotortek.com/bmw-r120...opment-part-i/

Riding "Sir Falls Downalot"

A wish is a desire without an attempt.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-Feb-2019, 07:04 PM (044) Thread Starter
LAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candubrain View Post
I can confirm that the OEM bars bend/distort easily.....both sides.

The welded on tabs for the mounting bolts can be bent back into place, but you need a hydraulic press to shape the bars if they distort enough. I guess they do their job in reducing the forces applied to the frame, they being the sacrificial anode.

They offer no protection to the valve covers, you will need to buy some additional cover, many out there, I went with X-Head.

Outback Motortek is experimenting with prototypes for the R1200 GS and GSA, they have a solid reputation. I've thought of replacing the OEMs when OM start production
Thanks Candubrain, Iíll check out the OMs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode