18 GSA - Anyone add Sirius? - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-Feb-2019, 04:54 PM (954) Thread Starter

Garage
18 GSA - Anyone add Sirius?

I have a Sena 10U that I can bluetooth Sirius to from my phone, but lose it when out of cell coverage of course. So I am thinking an actual Sirius receiver, that can pair with the helmet and then have tunes contiuously. Does anyone out there have a setup like I'm visioning? or is there another way? I like to keep it as simple as I can, so as to not get overwhelemd by all the gasgets and connections and such. (I'm no techno wizard)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-Feb-2019, 05:51 PM (994)

Location: Livin' in a Poor Man's Shangri, La. aka New Orleans
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outaluck View Post
I have a Sena 10U that I can bluetooth Sirius to from my phone, but lose it when out of cell coverage of course. So I am thinking an actual Sirius receiver, that can pair with the helmet and then have tunes contiuously. Does anyone out there have a setup like I'm visioning? or is there another way? I like to keep it as simple as I can, so as to not get overwhelemd by all the gasgets and connections and such. (I'm no techno wizard)
Right, simple. BTDT.

I had a standalone sirius xm receiver on a previous bike. worked ok, but took up real estate on the handlebar and it was not weather resistant, so out came the shower cap when rain beckoned. And, because of exposure the connections were a bit finicky, but it is doable.

Depending on what GPS you have you may be able to integrate XM into it. I did not get the NAV 5 when I got my bike because the NAV 5, and now the 6 ---neither can play XM, but the Garmin 665 does connect to XM (and maybe the 590, but I'd need to look that up).

If you have a GPS with XM, as above, you will need to locate somewhere the antenna for it. The antenna is about the size of a hockey puck. I have mine mounted on top of my topcase with a self-fashioned magnetic mount that I can easily switch between the topcases I use: a Pelican 1550 and a 1450, or on the luggage rack if neither topcase is being used.

If you do go the Garmin GPS route it can connect to your Sena. I have the 10s, and I can have my phone and the Garmin for directions and XM. There are limitations if you ride with a pillion and do intercom for the 10 series, that the 20 series addresses. And sometimes the BT connections are less than optimal requiring turning on and off in a particular order.

Also, if you go with the Garmin solution you will have to do some surgery to the GPS mount, AND you will lose all wonderwheel accessibility.

A fix would be to have access to the GPS antenna in your phone for XM and GPS functions---that has not yet happened, though the WonderLinQ people, when I mentioned it to them, thought they could look at that later.

Interestingly, I was thinking of going the other way, IE, going with the WonderLinq (sp) device and using my phone for XM and as a GPS, the limiting facto being needing cell coverage to get XM. That solution--if it came to be--would make my Garmin 665 a brick.

I think the pricing of XM is similar whether you get it on your phone or as a standalone receiver.

\Hope this helps

John
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-Feb-2019, 03:34 PM (898) Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the info. I think I am going to have a standalone receiver, and just find an out of the way place for it and the wires.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode