GIVI vs Wolfman - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 23-Mar-2019, 08:57 AM (581) Thread Starter

GIVI vs Wolfman

Hey there I just picked up a 18' GSA and looking at soft bags. Ive done some research about the GIVI Gravel as well as the Wolfman Rocky Mtns. Anyone have any intel on these two options. Pros vs Cons - Thx!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 23-Mar-2019, 10:43 AM (655)

Garage
I've had a couple Wolfman tail bags and they have been quality products. Cannot speak about Givi, although, I think they are a quality product also.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 23-Mar-2019, 10:49 AM (659)

Check out Mosko Moto Back Country 35L. I can vouch for these.

https://moskomoto.com/collections/mo...35-pannier-kit

Cliff
Lincoln County, NC, USA

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 23-Mar-2019, 04:03 PM (877)

I purchased wolfman bags and my 2 son's purchased givi bags all for the colorado BDR
by the end of our 10 days of on and off road
my wolfmans were caked in dirt and perfect condition the GIVI bags were completely
torn to pieces we had to run bundgey cords
all around the bags to keep them on the bikes.
now we use wolfman and mosko moto. don't waste your money on the GIVI.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 23-Mar-2019, 06:24 PM (975)

Location: Livin' in a Poor Man's Shangri, La. aka New Orleans
My rec is avoid GIVI.
I would never buy GIVI or recommend it to anyone that feels like they need to depend on it, and, it's integrity might be challenged somewhere along the line. I'm certain the brand has its fans.

I found the design of their topbox poor, with too short stays, so that the top would easily fall on my head while searching for something. I replaced those with my homemade stays easily an inch longer that eliminated that problem---again, poor design I think. Those stays were held on my tiny "wood" type screws into the bare plastic, just waiting to work loose and be lost
The GIVI plate that the topbox sat on had very poor (GIVI) support and one arm broke, just broke in half. broke off. When I got it welded they guy doing it said it was crap metal and that it was stronger after a remedial weld..

So, crap metal and poor design.
I called their customer service people to see if they warrant the crap metal for failing. The guy on the phone when I explained the situation said "Oh, yeah." Then silence... IOW, like he had heard of that failure before. I asked if they warrant the support that failed?
" Uh, no, I don't think we do that."
End of conversation.
So, materials, design and customer service failed me. I don't think I've had a brand that disappointed me more
Also, I think their appearance is way too bling.

Wolfman is more expensive, right? Probably for a reason.

rsgrandamerican's report is not the same as mine, but I am not surprised at all.
Candubrain likes this.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 23-Mar-2019, 07:43 PM (030)
Survivor

Garage
Had two Givi tank bags and three Wolfman bags. (Two Wolfmans were Spousal Unit’s). One Givi had a seam unravel after 3 years. Two Wolfman bags had zipper failures after 6/8 years of use. The Givi tank lock system is a huge plus to me.
Scurvy likes this.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 24-Mar-2019, 06:32 AM (481)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
My rec is avoid GIVI.
I would never buy GIVI or recommend it to anyone that feels like they need to depend on it, and, it's integrity might be challenged somewhere along the line. I'm certain the brand has its fans.

I found the design of their topbox poor, with too short stays, so that the top would easily fall on my head while searching for something. I replaced those with my homemade stays easily an inch longer that eliminated that problem---again, poor design I think. Those stays were held on my tiny "wood" type screws into the bare plastic, just waiting to work loose and be lost
The GIVI plate that the topbox sat on had very poor (GIVI) support and one arm broke, just broke in half. broke off. When I got it welded they guy doing it said it was crap metal and that it was stronger after a remedial weld..

So, crap metal and poor design.
I called their customer service people to see if they warrant the crap metal for failing. The guy on the phone when I explained the situation said "Oh, yeah." Then silence... IOW, like he had heard of that failure before. I asked if they warrant the support that failed?
" Uh, no, I don't think we do that."
End of conversation.
So, materials, design and customer service failed me. I don't think I've had a brand that disappointed me more
Also, I think their appearance is way too bling.

Wolfman is more expensive, right? Probably for a reason.

rsgrandamerican's report is not the same as mine, but I am not surprised at all.

I just purchased a Givi bag that fits under the rear rack. The velcro that is suppose to hold it would only engage about 1/4" and that was with pulling on the straps hard.

I emailed Givi and they requested a bunch of photos of the bag and my bike to confirm I had the OEM rack.
Here is their reply

Good morning

Thank you for your reply and the images you have sent.

Based on the information provided I have measured the Velcro on more of these Bags and all show the same as dimensions as what you have provided (approximate 3”)

We have not been informed of any issues on these Bags however your comments have been noted.

Thank you for contacting Givi UK.

Kind regards

So they confirm all the bags have the same length of strap, confirming my measurements stating the straps are too short....but hey why do anything about it.....

My reply to them......"You are not offering a solution? Noted!"

I will not buy another Givi product. I have the option of returning it to the retailer, but I just made an add on strap to get the length I needed
Dr. Strangelove likes this.

Riding "Sir Falls Downalot"

A wish is a desire without an attempt.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 24-Mar-2019, 07:43 PM (030)

https://www.lonerider-motorcycle.com/products/motobags

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 25-Mar-2019, 04:13 AM (384)

I've got over 15,000 off-road miles on my Wolfman bags and they have always performed flawlessly. I used the Expedition soft panniers on the TAT and I've used the Rocky Mountain bags since on the GS. They are really well designed (fastening and adjusting) and nigh indestructible (ahem, dropped on them a few times) and are made in the USA by a great group of guys HQ'd out of Longmont CO. I rode up there one time when visiting my daughter in Boulder and they dropped what they were doing and let me play with everything they made. Even sent me home with some nice swag.

I also use the Wolfman Medium duffle roll top and I can fit almost my entire camp site in there including cooking and food. I strap my camp chair and table to the top of the Rocky Mtn bags.

Current scooters:
'16 R1200GS Triple Black
'16 KTM Super Duke 1290R
'18 Yamaha WR250R
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 25-Mar-2019, 07:02 AM (502)

I commented earlier about the GIVI vs Wolfman,
since my Bdr colorado trip I've used my wolfman many times to break my fall ( I fall over regularly) all throughout central Mexico, Utah, Arkansas, Missouri and they have been bulletproof. I went to the factory in Longmont Colorado as well. this is a top notch company always looking to improve their product
you won't be disappointed in the quality.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in