R1200GS Forum banner

Airhawk.... What Size?

9K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  Guideboat 
#1 ·
Just curious, what size Airhawk are you all using?

#4 ·
here is link....I have had one for 3 years, it developed small leak, they exchanged for a new one at no expense. very customer service oriented. the cushion added another 150-200 miles of riding without sore butt. secret is having just enough air to inflate cushion (very little). otherwise too much air will make you seemingly float on the seat thru the curves, not a good thing. you will be pleased you got one.
https://airhawk.net

#5 ·
on the bike most of the time

I have had one ever since i have had GS bikes.
I did a twelve hour, 1200 km ride yesterday. There is no way i could have done it without the airhawk on the bike

#6 ·
After reading reviews and plus points got it last year from Motohaus UK & took it home to India. Looked good and fit the GSA comfort seat nicely using cross securing arrangements. I had the 11x11 DS Cushion. It took me at least two attempts to have the right amount of air in it.
Rode 300+ kms in the mountains good & bad roads combined. End of the day felt little numb in the lower back. Didn't bother much but the numbness followed with pain on later rides almost everytime I rode 200-300 kms at a stretch with the seat and later when I visited the doctor I was informed I had lower back disc problems. Bed ridden for a month with heavy medication followed by physiotherapy. The doctor explained that using air to cushion the butt might ease butt soar but it can cause uneven pressure on the lower back when riding over rough roads causing bulging discs.
Now I ride but without the air hawk cushion. Comfort seat of the GSA is fine for me. Plus I take breaks more often. It helps me enjoy the surroundings.
The seat might work for you but it didn't in my case. Only way to find out is use one. Cheers

Sent from my ONEPLUS6 using Tapatalk

#10 ·
Curious if anyone using the Airhawk custom seat? I spotted this one and in the continuing quest for best seat for me, it looks like it might be worth a try. I'm looking for lower and narrower near the tank in order get feet on ground better, and take some load off my left knee when stopping.

Attachments

#11 ·
People that have problems using an AirHawk are probably putting too much air in it. I did that when I first got it and it felt like I was sitting on a beachball rolling back and forth on the seat. To adjust to the proper amount of air, inflate it and then sit on it on the bike. You'll probably feel like you're rolling around on it so start letting air out of it while you're sitting on it until you can feel your butt in firm contact with the seat and then stop. IMO, this is the best use of it where you're still sitting, for practical purposes, directly on the seat with the AirHawk filling in and supporting your backside in all the places the seat doesn't. You don't feel disconnected from the bike and get a more comfortable LD ride.

I use and AirHark R model on my GS and on my 1600GT when I had it. I'm OK with the OEM seat with nothing else on it but I'll use the AirHawk if I know I have a long day on the highway ahead of me. With no air in it, it packs up pretty small.

Reactions: PoppyGreg
#12 ·
i have the "fatass" size

works a treat. one of the best bits of kit ive bought. As stated above - take the time to set it up properly and don't overinflate. Great for putting off numbness. Also comfy when the Gomers are playing up...

#13 ·
Airhawk Seat Owner

I first bought an Airhawk pad, Tracy with customer service was great. Recommended a small. It seemed small but was perfect feel. The key is less air not more. Then I got thinking I did not want a cushion that someone could borrow, so I ordered a standard Airhawk IST with Air; they took back the cushion no questions.

The seat came last week, excellent build quality, extremely comfortable cover and feel. Now I have not ridden thousands of miles on it yet but so far love the seat. I am planning a long trip from NY to YT in a few weeks and expect this is what the doctor ordered. This is the most comfortable seat straight out of the box I have tried. I have a custom Meyer seat on my RT for over 15 years, and I have to say I expect this will be even more comfortable than that seat. IMHO, seats are a personal preference, but having tried others on my GS, the Airhawk seems ideal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.