Show us your Top Box/Case! - Page 2 - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-Apr-2019, 04:38 PM (901) Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kam View Post
More photos

Do you notice any type of drag when you’re at speed with any of the boxes? I assume that the smaller one has less drag. I currently have a small top box on my Versys X300 and was just thinking of getting the adapter plate to install on the GS but I think it would look really small and funky on it....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-Apr-2019, 04:44 PM (905)

Garage
Show us your Top Box/Case!

Quote:
Originally Posted by asaulo1 View Post
Love that Fuji X100! For the smaller top box that you have, does it fit at least 1 full face helmet? Also, was an adapter necessary to mount the top box or did you have to totally replace the rack?

No, the 25 liter box will not accommodate a full face-helmet. I know others use top boxes for that purpose but it has never been important to me. The Bumot attachment system requires no special adaptations to be used on the GSA. Here's what it looks like underneath with the OEM rack system:

not my photo

Since that photo was taken, they've modified the attachment somewhat and it is rock solid.

Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-Apr-2019, 06:06 PM (963)

Location: Livin' in a Poor Man's Shangri, La. aka New Orleans
OT
Look at the Pelican case foam insert with the pluck foam. They come in various sizes, are cheap, and can be made to custom fit your cameras/lenses.

post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-Apr-2019, 06:14 PM (968)
Kam

Regarding drag, 1200cc, what drag?!

Actually, where I feel the difference is the nimbleness. I do notice the difference with and without the boxes.
asaulo1 likes this.
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-Apr-2019, 06:16 PM (969)
Kam

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikec View Post
I've been fortunate to do a lot of motorcycle touring. For years, if I had space in panniers, I filled it up with "stuff." Since retirement, though, I've figured out the old travel adage, "Less is more." When I got my newest machine, I equipped it with Bumot panniers and top box and I've been impressed with the quality. The top box, though, is 41 liters and, on last summer's trip to The Last Frontier, my camera equipment seemed to get "lost" in there. Of course, I filled in the spaces with more "stuff."

Well, I got in touch with Jason at ADV Motorrad and told him what I needed. Just after I got back from a trip to California, the 25 liter top box arrived and I got it mounted:

Jason was nice enough to include a liner for the top box and it really suited my purpose:

I wanted a padded place to store my camera equipment so, after figuring out that, I removed the liner from a waterproof camera case and inserted it into the Bumot liner:

I need to take a little putt to make sure everything the equipment doesn't move around too much but, if it does, I think I've a solution for that.

Mike
+1 on the fuji. That's some great glass...
mikec likes this.
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-Apr-2019, 07:47 PM (033) Thread Starter

Quote:
No, the 25 liter box will not accommodate a full face-helmet. I know others use top boxes for that purpose but it has never been important to me. The Bumot attachment system requires no special adaptations to be used on the GSA. Here's what it looks like underneath with the OEM rack system:

not my photo

Since that photo was taken, they've modified the attachment somewhat and it is rock solid.

Mike

Thanks for that my I have a GS so the rack is somewhat different than yours. When I asked about the factory top boxes from the dealer, they said that they will need to replace the rack on my back with the one that the GSA uses.... kind of a waste, if you ask me... currently looking at the sw-motech ones as well as the Givi top boxes so as not to replace the OEM rack that I have.

post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-Apr-2019, 09:23 PM (099)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by asaulo1 View Post
Thanks for that my I have a GS so the rack is somewhat different than yours. When I asked about the factory top boxes from the dealer, they said that they will need to replace the rack on my back with the one that the GSA uses.... kind of a waste, if you ask me... currently looking at the sw-motech ones as well as the Givi top boxes so as not to replace the OEM rack that I have.

The Givi top box will need a Givi plate..... Givi plates are different for the GS and the GSA
So anyways you have to use a extra plate....ur OEM rack will not direct fit the Givi Boxes.
I have a givi trekker aluminium box and use the givi plate over the OEM Rack of the GSA
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-Apr-2019, 06:36 PM (983)

Quote:
I've been fortunate to do a lot of motorcycle touring. For years, if I had space in panniers, I filled it up with "stuff." Since retirement, though, I've figured out the old travel adage, "Less is more." When I got my newest machine, I equipped it with Bumot panniers and top box and I've been impressed with the quality. The top box, though, is 41 liters and, on last summer's trip to The Last Frontier, my camera equipment seemed to get "lost" in there. Of course, I filled in the spaces with more "stuff."

Well, I got in touch with Jason at ADV Motorrad and told him what I needed. Just after I got back from a trip to California, the 25 liter top box arrived and I got it mounted:

Jason was nice enough to include a liner for the top box and it really suited my purpose:

I wanted a padded place to store my camera equipment so, after figuring out that, I removed the liner from a waterproof camera case and inserted it into the Bumot liner:

I need to take a little putt to make sure everything the equipment doesn't move around too much but, if it does, I think I've a solution for that.

Mike

Did the same with my Fuji outfit in my OEM BMW top case.

But found that in outback Australia the case got so hot inside, the camera and lens etc was in danger of a melt down.

So.. fitted a really thick chunk of foam into the lid and also under the camera bag.

Great shock protection and temp protection too!

Cheers

M
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-Apr-2019, 12:56 AM (247)

Garage
Show us your Top Box/Case!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Snapper View Post
Did the same with my Fuji outfit in my OEM BMW top case.

But found that in outback Australia the case got so hot inside, the camera and lens etc was in danger of a melt down.

So.. fitted a really thick chunk of foam into the lid and also under the camera bag.

Great shock protection and temp protection too!

Cheers

M
Great minds! I've a piece of convoluted foam I cut to size and used Velcro to install on the top case lid. I can insert in into the liner when I transport the cameras from the bike to a hotel room to stabilize the equipment.

Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-Apr-2019, 05:42 AM (446)
Senile Member on 2006 GS

Garage
Having come to the GS world from a KLR, I tend to be a bit, shall we say, frugal in my farkles (oh, let's be honest and say I'm a cheapskate). My "top box" is a Plano Molding Company "Sportsman's Box," a big plastic box with a lid that's held in place by a couple snap-handles. Because the lid can be completely removed (yes, it flew off once), I have a couple nylon straps on the inside to keep it in place. The snaps can be locked (with padlocks).

It's mounted to a plastic plate and secured to the GS's luggage rack by four bolts and plastic wing-nuts made for folding lawn-mower handles. So, if you know where the fasteners are, the thing can be removed in a minute or two when I arrive at the day's destination. Convenient. Holds a full-face helmet and a six-pack cooler, or various other stuff.

And did I mention, cheap?
Attached Images

GrayBeard likes this.

Whizzy brakes, no FD drain plug, what's not to like?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode