Show us your Top Box/Case! - Page 3 - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-Apr-2019, 04:13 AM (384)

I'm pretty happy with the Touratech hard cases. They've been completely weatherproof and I'm still happy that I didn't pick the largest sizes in the system. That's a 25L top box where I keep all my readily accessible stuff like things I'm charging, snacks, water, etc.

I drop the side cases off and mount up my Wolfman soft bags when there's going to me some off-road action:

But even off-road, I like the security of the top box and my camping gear duffle fits neatly between me and the case.

Current scooters:
'16 R1200GS Triple Black
'16 KTM Super Duke 1290R
'18 Yamaha WR250R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 15-Apr-2019, 06:38 AM (485)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by asaulo1 View Post
Thanks for that my I have a GS so the rack is somewhat different than yours. When I asked about the factory top boxes from the dealer, they said that they will need to replace the rack on my back with the one that the GSA uses.... kind of a waste, if you ask me... currently looking at the sw-motech ones as well as the Givi top boxes so as not to replace the OEM rack that I have.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Call ADV Motorrad or look on their site for top box type of mount that's specific to your application. Jason probably has what you need.

Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 15-Apr-2019, 10:44 AM (656)

Send a message via AIM to rd400racer Send a message via MSN to rd400racer Send a message via Yahoo to rd400racer
I've got $60 total into this case, including the $7 MasterLock
Attached Images

Also Ran likes this.

2009 R1200GSA, 99 Ducati Monster, 98 Ducati ST2, 85 RZ350, 84 CB700SC, 76 RD400

post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 04:22 PM (890) Thread Starter

So, I've narrowed down my choice to the Givi Dolomiti Alum. Top case. Quick question to the folks on here, should I get the 46 ltr or the 42 ltr top box? I know that the obvious choice is the larger box for more capacity but I also am looking at the 42 ltr as it looks more proportionate to the GS (i have a GS not a GSA). I'm not sure how big the 46 ltr box will look like on the GS. Thanks in advance.
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 04:46 PM (907)

Garage
Show us your Top Box/Case! Reply to Thread

Here's a 41 liter on my GSA:

Here's a 25 liter box:

This is purely personal preference. I think my 41 liter box looks a bit bulky. I also know that if I have the space available, I'll fill it. I'm leaving on my first trip with the 25 liter box tomorrow for four to five days but I know I'll like it. It's simply less obtrusive and, really, I won't miss the extra space as I pack fairly tight.

Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old Today, 08:52 AM (578) Thread Starter

looks like I have it down to 2 sizes and wanted to get everyone's opinion. 32 liter or 42 liter. I know the obvious choice is the bigger box but since I have a GS and not a GSA, I was wondering if the 32 liter is more proportionate to the bike than the 42. I'm looking at the Givi Dolomiti boxes since they are a little bit less expensive than the OEMs or the Motechs. Cheers!
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old Today, 10:41 AM (653)

I have a large top case that fits my full face helmet with visor, but I have removed it due to what I have read on Helge Pedersen’s Globeriders tour page:

http://www.globeriders.com/

“We DO NOT recommend installation of a top case or trunk - in almost every "case", the rear carrier, rack, or trunk mounting bracket has fatigued, then fractured, and the top case has fallen off - in some instances, the riders didn't realize this until much later, and the top case was never recovered.”

The original owner of my GS had purchased a full set of Jesse bags and various accessories. There is a locking toolbox that goes underneath the top box, so it really sucks that I can’t use that. A cool Jesse accessory that I like is a plate that mounts instead of the rear seat, creating a large place to haul bigger things.

I know that there are different methods for mounting the top case, but the mounting for my Jesse bags uses two slip compression fittings (think bicycle gooseneck) inserted into the rear frame ends... And that’s it! I feel that a mass that large supported so feebly can eventually fail. So, my top case is in pristine condition, sitting on a shelf in my garage. I store things like motorcycle covers in it.
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old Today, 12:14 PM (718)
Survivor

Garage
I have a Jesse top box on my 2017 GSA. The mount is very securely attached to the existing metal tail rack. It has about 5-6 inches of adjustment from front to rear in the mount. This allows shifting the weight of the top box well forward when the pillion seat is not used for a passenger or gear. In my case I have the small box, known as the Pizza box. I've had the large Jesse top case before and find this one meets my needs. Crappy pictures, but I was too lazy to move the bike. The box in front of the top box is my tool box I mounted to a BlackDog pillion luggage rack.

Kevin
The Outpost, Silver City, Montana
Team Pterodactyl
2018 Ural Gear Up, 2017 R1200GSA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode