Anyone Else Disappointed With Nav 6? - Page 2 - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 23-Apr-2019, 08:35 PM (066)

Garage
I know where you are coming from. The price for the BMW-branded unit does make it a bit hard to reconcile or to forgive any shortcomings, especially when compared to the rest of the Garmin line.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 24-Apr-2019, 03:42 AM (362)

I love it and it is the greatest thing since sliced bread!

Sorry buddy, but you come on here and just complain!
Should have come here beforehand and ask a question or opinion, instead of coming here after and vent your frustration

R1200GS Rallye - All Options - Nav VI - MaMo Light bars with LED - MaMo X-Covers - HexezCan - Stebel Horn
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 24-Apr-2019, 05:02 AM (418)

My Nav 6 is problematic in that often it won't start (1 in 10 timed) and I have to take it out of its cradle to reboot with the button. If another manufacturer would integrate their product with the Wunderwheel and the BMW cradle, I would be interested, but the Wunderwheel integration makes it the best option, regardless of its shortcomings. I did like the comment on the wifi updates on the Zumo. That would be nice. I think the future lies in a motorcycle version of Android auto.

I just tried to do a "Master Reset" to see it that would fix the problem <https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=5pkqQBOE9L4qzpvROpQ1R8&productID=553253&tab=t opics&topicTag=region_troubleshootingaxt> However, now it won't start at all, so I'm waiting now to chat with support--one funny thing is that the time for a support person to chat with me keeps climbing, now over 25 minutes (which is why I am typing this.)

I actually really like the Nav VI--when it works--and depend upon it. Ultimately, though, I think I would like to see something like Android Auto for motorcycles, as cars have done, rather than a dedicated GPS.

Last edited by Vatu; 06-May-2019 at 06:13 PM (968). Reason: more info

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 24-Apr-2019, 12:42 PM (737)

I think it all depends on what you're comparing the Nav VI to, to consider being disappointed. It's a faster UI than the previous models of the Nav series. That's one plus.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 24-Apr-2019, 03:53 PM (870)

Love the integration of the NAVI VI...

PLEASE view this video before you decide whether to sell your NAVI VI. This gentleman has done a superb job of explaining its many integration capabilities. I love mine...had a Navigator IV on my '13 K1600GTL and now the Navigator VI on my '18 R1200GS with TFT. The difference between the two is profound. The NAVI VI was a HUGE upgrade from the IV. Yes...Garmin Nuvi WiFi updating is painless...however the Garmin Express updater is very easy to use for NAVI VI updates. As a new member I'm not allowed to post links, however if you do a YouTube search of the title below you'll quickly find the video.

Good Luck & Ride Safe,
Jim

YouTube Video Title: BMW Motorcycle TFT with Nav VI and Headset setup and use
Producer: Health4ADV

Last edited by jimdillard; 24-Apr-2019 at 04:14 PM (884).
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 24-Apr-2019, 06:06 PM (962)

Garage
John Adams

I think you aren't up to speed on the full integration of the Nav 6.

Download the App Garmin Smartphone Link then pair it with the Nav 6 and prepare to eat your comments.

Best of Luck

Ian

Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 25-Apr-2019, 08:11 AM (549)

Garage
Thanks for the heads-up, jimdillard.

Here's a link to the referenced video: https://youtu.be/LzPoILCj-aU
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 25-Apr-2019, 08:01 PM (042) Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyjets View Post
John Adams

I think you aren't up to speed on the full integration of the Nav 6.

Download the App Garmin Smartphone Link then pair it with the Nav 6 and prepare to eat your comments.

Best of Luck
I'm quite up to speed, and thank you for your condescension and insults. I'm not an idiot, I fly jets too and I'm sure you're a joy to fly with. I have the Garmin smart link app as I used it with my Zumo as well. My complaints, if you reread my post, was about it nav capabilities, trip building and editing being way behind other Garmin motorcycle-specific units.

Last edited by John Adams; 25-Apr-2019 at 08:03 PM (044).
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 26-Apr-2019, 03:57 AM (373)

Garage
I fly jets too. Row 14 Seat C and I'm still an idiot.
gsinid likes this.
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 26-Apr-2019, 06:02 AM (460)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadawada View Post
It's not just connecting to your bike that is different (and useful in my opinion). You don't need Wi-Fi on the GPS when you can connect to your phone and get connectivity. If you download and install the Garmin mobile connect app you can get live updated weather on your route, live traffic, red light cameras, etc...

It is one of the best motorcycle GPS systems I've ever seen.
I've often been frustrated entering locations directly in to the unit. Otherwise useful as a visual when I am listening to Waze.

Are the live weather and traffic from the iPhone app free? You need to pay to get it on the unit itself. If that's free when using the iPhone app, thats awesome.

Secondly, presently BMW communications, my iPhone are communicating to enable listening to music from my iPhone controlled by the wonder wheel. If I communicate from iPhone to Garmin to obtain their weather/traffic, does that prevent the TFT iPhone communications for music?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode