Anyone Else Disappointed With Nav 6? - Page 3 - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 26-Apr-2019, 08:33 AM (564)

Garage
Anyone Else Disappointed With Nav 6?

Quote:
Originally Posted by goethe View Post
I've often been frustrated entering locations directly in to the unit. Otherwise useful as a visual when I am listening to Waze.

Are the live weather and traffic from the iPhone app free? You need to pay to get it on the unit itself. If that's free when using the iPhone app, thats awesome.

Secondly, presently BMW communications, my iPhone are communicating to enable listening to music from my iPhone controlled by the wonder wheel. If I communicate from iPhone to Garmin to obtain their weather/traffic, does that prevent the TFT iPhone communications for music?
I purchased the traffic & weather apps when I had my '14 GSA with the Nav V and the apps worked fine. They still do on my '18 GSA with the Nav Vi. I can listen to my music (iPhone Xs via the Nav VI) and check the apps with no issues.

Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 26-Apr-2019, 07:19 PM (013)

Think you took things out of context. But reading all your replies you seem to do this often.

In the App you can auto upload to the NAV 6 no programing just a search for a destination and it loads. The Traffic and WX as well as camera functions make it a hit for me.

Best of luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Adams View Post
I'm quite up to speed, and thank you for your condescension and insults. I'm not an idiot, I fly jets too and I'm sure you're a joy to fly with. I have the Garmin smart link app as I used it with my Zumo as well. My complaints, if you reread my post, was about it nav capabilities, trip building and editing being way behind other Garmin motorcycle-specific units.

Ian

Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.

Last edited by flyjets; 26-Apr-2019 at 07:26 PM (018).
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-May-2019, 08:58 AM (582) Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyjets View Post
Think you took things out of context. But reading all your replies you seem to do this often.

In the App you can auto upload to the NAV 6 no programing just a search for a destination and it loads. The Traffic and WX as well as camera functions make it a hit for me.
Another insult. Thanks. But reading all your replies, you seem to do this often.

post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-May-2019, 08:50 AM (576)
bobz

Nav 6 with weather Map

If you travel far with the Nav 6 like I do, you will appreciate the real time weather map. I believe it costs $5 a year (traffic and traffic cams too) and I can divert around the major storms. I also get road info like stoppages on the top of the Nav6 screen. With free lifetime maps, I just connect it to my computer twice a year and it's done. On my Zumo 665, I had weather and XM for about $20 to 30 a month. If you stay on one channel XM plays the same 20 songs all day.. For me the Nav 6 linked to my GS and iPhone 8 was a great improvement.
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-May-2019, 09:26 AM (601)

Location: Livin' in a Poor Man's Shangri, La. aka New Orleans
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobz View Post
If you travel far with the Nav 6 like I do, you will appreciate the real time weather map. I believe it costs $5 a year (traffic and traffic cams too) and I can divert around the major storms. I also get road info like stoppages on the top of the Nav6 screen. With free lifetime maps, I just connect it to my computer twice a year and it's done. On my Zumo 665, I had weather and XM for about $20 to 30 a month. If you stay on one channel XM plays the same 20 songs all day.. For me the Nav 6 linked to my GS and iPhone 8 was a great improvement.
Not sure if this applies to the NAV 6, but on the 665, the weather app, while appreciated, is far too general, explaining...I get far too many "Rain in the area" alerts. When I go to the weather map, it seems the "area" has a footprint of hundreds of miles, sometimes, iow, the "rain" could be a hundred or more miles away. To be clear, the radar map is usually pretty good and zooming is possible on it, but I would love a way to set the size of the "area" monitored and alerted, and there is not, afaik. And I think it is about $20 a year, not a month. On XM I am usually listening to the stations that do not play the same 20 songs all day, often news, sometimes classical, sometimes sports, sometimes silence. The lack of XM was the deciding factor for me to choose the 665 over the then current Nav5.

I am not a fan of garmin and their hostile user interface. For example, all of the "alert" fonts ( like "Rain in the area" or Speed camera or traffic ahead, etc ) show in the same kind of SMALL box, with the same background color, and text far too small for these old eyes, even with my glasses on. In fact, the alert text is the smallest font on the whole device! Makes sense, right? Make the Alert hard to see. If I am stopped I can see it easily, but having some ability to enlarge the font or color of the font on alerts--so that it can be EASILY read while underway-- would be very user friendly...that is not in the garmin vocabulary, nor, unfortunately, is taking user suggestions, nor is a user configurable interface, like every smart phone since the beginning of the current era.

I am surprised to hear and it's unfortunate that BMW intervention in the garmin makes it a worse performer in some eyes.
I really really wish someone like Google, or Motorola or Apple or Samsung would enter the market. I think people would flock to an alternative to the smugly self satisfied garmin "developers." It is LONG overdue.

I wonder who makes the Tesla user interface? I hear it's amazingly good.
Crucian and Vatu like this.
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-May-2019, 07:43 AM (530)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
I really really wish someone like Google, or Motorola or Apple or Samsung would enter the market. I think people would flock to an alternative to the smugly self satisfied garmin "developers." It is LONG overdue.
I'll add smugly self satisfied customer service reps to that. I have truly had a love/hate relationship with Garmin for a long time, well before my Nav VI. In the Virgin Islands they failed to update maps for such a long period that new roads were in place for almost four years, but not mapped. Garmin Customer Service tasked me with sending them a list? We have a ton of tourists and road signage here is almost nonexistent so the need was there. I've been down the "Ghost Touch" road, the failure of Garmin Express to connect to my unit and more.

That said, I still find the Nav VI a valuable tool and while some features that I wish were present aren't there, the interface with the R1200 vitals makes it the only choice for me.
Dr. Strangelove likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode