6Likes
  • 2 Post By mikec
  • 1 Post By kramdunc
  • 1 Post By advjasonp
  • 2 Post By advjasonp

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 23-Apr-2019, 02:27 PM (810) Thread Starter

Nav VI wiring connectors

I have a 2016 R12GS with GPS prep, except the seller took off the mounting plate and cradle.
A buddy gave me a Nav VI with a 4-button cradle. It's new, but came with no docs or boxes or anything. Just the GPS and the cradle.

The cradle has a wire with connector that looks to fit the BMW GPS canbus perfectly, except that the connector on the cradle has an indented corner, making it impossible to slide it in and make the connection. It appears the cradle is made for some other variation of a canbus connector, maybe on a car?? I have no experience with canbus.

I'm wanting to see if I can hook up the Nav VI and use it without the wheel and other BMW specific stuff, since this cradle doesn't support that.

Does anyone know how to identify the connector on the GPS that has the indented corner such that I could locate one to buy? I want to find a female version and make an adapter cable.

Is this connector meant for a car? Is it for other bikes? BMW or non-BMW bikes? I can't figure out why they made this connector to NOT work with my R1200GS!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 23-Apr-2019, 04:55 PM (913)

Garage
You've a good friend to give you a Nav VI. If I were in your shoes and if the bike already has the so-called Wonder Wheel, I'd order the correct mount for the bike and forget the 4 button cradle:

These images came from the A & S parts fiche: https://www.ascycles.com/bmw/2013/R1...html#Subcatdiv Notice the proper wire connector so this should be plug 'n play.

Hope this helps,

Mike
Kemo Sabe and kramdunc like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 23-Apr-2019, 05:39 PM (944)
Fisherman on 2 wheels!

Garage

Damn, I broke the little dongle on #5 and had been looking for the part number for a couple years. But not sure if I want to spend that kind of money. I'll keep using my modified crab meat picker to pop the unit out of the cradle.

Hey it was handy and my wife doesn't miss it.
mikec likes this.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 24-Apr-2019, 08:28 AM (561) Thread Starter

Yep, I'm there Mike. I had to confirm that my buddy wouldn't want the Nav VI back and then have wasted $300. He told me last night I'm good to keep it forever. I didn't want to make assumptions.

I know I'm sounding like a cheapskate, but I just got the bike ($$) and I have a long list of things I "need", before I need GPS. Having the Nav VI will be cool, but I don't yet have good boots, pants or a jacket. I also want good audio/comm before I'm worried about GPS.

So I'll pick up the OEM parts when I'm ready. I was just disappointed I couldn't even plug the darn thing in.

Thanks all! I'm loving the forum thanks to you guys and your help.

--Jason
mikec likes this.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 24-Apr-2019, 11:30 AM (688)

Garage
Nav VI wiring connectors

Jason, you bought a fine machine and I understand the other needs. Wise move on your part. You'll find a friendly group on this forum and the inmates are always willing to assist you in spending your money. Be sure to post your progress with your new mount and your travels.

Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 25-Apr-2019, 08:03 AM (543) Thread Starter

So much for spending priorities. I lasted about 2 hours, then finally just called the dealer and ordered the parts to mount the Nav VI. Should be here next week! I've wasted more time looking for a work-around than it was worth. Can't wait to get this thing installed!

Thanks!
mikec and Kemo Sabe like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode