• 1 Post By Niks
  • 1 Post By mikec
  • 1 Post By Southpaw

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 24-Apr-2019, 03:32 PM (856) Thread Starter

Garage
iPhone mounting

Hello all,

2018 GS with TFT here and I do NOT have the Nav5 or 6. I have no bar at all and am now trying to figure out how to mount my iphone where the nav would typically go. I have some ideas but figured I would reach out to the smart people on this forum to see if have any thoughts.

One thought was sticky tape on the nav protection cover but I was worried it would have enough "stick" especially in the rain on a long trip.

Ideas are appreciated!

Thanks!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 24-Apr-2019, 08:58 PM (082)

Many times I scratch hair about this question. Best solution is original navigation, but I haven't, neither place for this nor navigation. My solution now is RAM mount with X grip. When rain start I place phone in transparent pocket in top of the tank bag.
Only one minus - be careful when is hot, phone is heat emitting when navigation works and become hot. In this case phone is on RAM again.
jaxon likes this.

R 1200 GS '06
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 25-Apr-2019, 04:41 AM (403)

Garage
iPhone mounting

You may wish to take a look at this: https://shop-hondogarage.com/collect...or-motorcycles You could add this to the mount to keep your iPhone charged: https://motopowerpuck.com/shop/ If your motorcycle has the GPS mount/wonder wheel, this is a pretty slick system: https://www.blackboxembedded.com/home/wunderlinq

Mike
Glenfiddich likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 25-Apr-2019, 06:12 AM (467)
Kam

I've been using a ram mount for years with zero issues

https://www.rammount.com/shop-all/mo...e/phone-mounts

Kam
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 25-Apr-2019, 12:02 PM (709)
'05 R 1200 Gs

Whenever I mount add ons, i.e. Sunpass, phone,GoPro, etc on the bike no matter the foolproof factor, I make a safety tether out of monofilament fishing line for extra precaution. Short enough so that if it flies loose I can reel it in.
Niks likes this.

'05 1200 GS
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 26-Apr-2019, 05:49 AM (451)
Senile Member on 2006 GS

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo View Post
Hello all,

2018 GS with TFT here and I do NOT have the Nav5 or 6. I have no bar at all and am now trying to figure out how to mount my iphone where the nav would typically go. I have some ideas but figured I would reach out to the smart people on this forum to see if have any thoughts.

One thought was sticky tape on the nav protection cover but I was worried it would have enough "stick" especially in the rain on a long trip.

Ideas are appreciated!

Thanks!!!
If you do end up going the sticky tape route, pick up some 3M "VHB" double-sided tape. This is the stuff that's used for stick-on GoPro mounts, and I've never heard of them falling off. I've used this tape for some other things, and it does seem quite tenacious. Be warned that because it does stick so well, removing it can be a PITA.

Whizzy brakes, no FD drain plug, what's not to like?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode