seat upgrade recommendations - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 24-Jul-2012, 06:17 AM (470) Thread Starter

seat upgrade recommendations

im new to this forum so i appologize if i'm asking a question that's been discussed already. i just bought a 2009 GS and hate the stock seat, I put 900 miles on it last weekend and was very sore afterwards. I was at the international rally and spoke to many vendors about various options but remain confused as to what would be the best option for serious distance riding. Any recommendations?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 24-Jul-2012, 06:56 AM (497)

I second the question - after 400 mile ride home from the dealer I was in serious pain.

Based on what others wrote here I am currently considering Saddlemen

Adventure Track Seats

and Russell Custom Motorcycle Seats and Touring Saddles - "Day-Long" Touring Saddles and Motorcycle Seats by Russell Cycle Products

but I would love to see more opinions.

Last edited by thorongil; 24-Jul-2012 at 01:18 PM (763).
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 24-Jul-2012, 11:53 AM (703)

I've got a Sargent on my 011 GS and it is far better than stock. I also have had a Corbin and Mayer GS seats, again better than stock. For long rides 500+mi I needed to use an Air Hawk cushion for them all in order not to experience discomfort. The Air Hawk is not cheap butt worth every penny!

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 24-Jul-2012, 02:26 PM (810)

Custom Seat

Lets face it, no matter what BMW says, the stock GS seats are just plain un-rideable for a duration of more than 3 hours.
I took the trip to Ojai, CA to see Rocky Mayer Bill Mayer Saddles Pictures | Bill Mayer Saddles and could not be happier! 600miles???? NO PROBLEM!

Probably between $400-500 to do it right but worth every penny.

Peace is defined as that brief moment of tranquility while everyone reloads...anonymous....I think
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 24-Jul-2012, 03:37 PM (859)
GS (and DR)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoGP View Post
Lets face it, no matter what BMW says, the stock GS seats are just plain un-rideable for a duration of more than 3 hours.
Maybe it's your butt.

I've got 72K on the (mostly) stock saddle with many, many rides that have left me in the saddle for much longer than three hours. I'm not an iron butt rider. A long day for me is 500-600 miles. A simple sheepskin over the stock saddle is all I need to do that kind of daily mileage.
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 24-Jul-2012, 05:36 PM (942)

Seats

While everyone is different, most find the stock seat nice to look at, but uncomfortable after riding a while. I tried a sheep skin, helped a little, got farther from home, so very sore by the time I got back home. I bought a Rick Mayer seat, that helped a little more now 2-3 hours when it isn't real hot out. Put a gel pad on it that helped a little not can get far enough to be almost lost before butt gets tender. I ordered a Russel it won't be here for a month, I hope it is close to as good as many have told me.

Good luck on your search, no one seat is perfect I think, hope I change that in a month.
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 25-Jul-2012, 09:06 PM (088)

With all due respect, marc, you have to admit that adding a sheep skin is a modification. I still find it reprehensible that a company with a reputation for innovation and engineering to the most minute detail, could put such an unridable seat on a machine that was purpose built for long hard days in the saddle. Boo BMW boo!
Setting my rant aside, my Saddlemen seat has broken in nicely, but it was gradual, and did take the full 1500 miles to do so. Or is it my bottom that is broken in? Hmm...
lgreen51 likes this.

Knees in the breeze
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 26-Jul-2012, 10:40 AM (653)

I have the sargent seat, way better than stock, cost me 500.00 for both pieces. Just for the record if you find a 2004-2008 sargent seat it is a perfect fit for the 2012 GSA. Basically 04-12 is the same seat front and back.
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-Aug-2012, 05:52 AM (453)

My 2012 GSA seat is being rebuilt by Baldwin Saddles. I should have it back next week. I can post pictures or a link to photos of the seat once it gets back. I chose Baldwin for the seat on my VStrom DL1000 and wrote a review of it in the March 12 Motorcycle Consumer News. Once I got 700 miles or so on that seat I could ride the VStrom for hours and hours.

Obviously I liked it enough to buy another custom seat from him within a year. My wife even willingly gave up her AirHawk with Alaska sheepskin pad on top that she used on the Travelcade Stealth seat on my ST1100.

Every one is different and will like one style seat over another. But I'm now a convert to custom built seats. And Loren Mock at Baldwin Saddles is fantastic to work with.

Here's a link to his BMW photo gallery. Mine should be slightly different than the GS seat shown.
BMW Motorcycles Custom Seats Photos by Baldwin Motorbike Saddles

Last edited by RoadRdr; 05-Aug-2012 at 06:29 AM (478).
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-Aug-2012, 06:43 AM (488)

Try riding the stock seat with the front high and the back low. The owners manual says 'no', but it has been discussed here and many do it. It stops the sliding board feel and is actually workable. Well, not like a custom seat, but you won't be in pain in an hour. At least I wasn't.

I rode about 1200 miles over the last weekend on it and it wasn't that bad.

But seat are seats - different for every rider.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
distance riding, seat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode