2Likes
  • 1 Post By brownie
  • 1 Post By domx

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-May-2019, 12:29 AM (228) Thread Starter

Soft bag for top box rack?

Hi all,

First post, so be gentle

Collecting my first ever GS this Friday (2017 GSA Triple Black) and it doesn't come with the luggage set. I doubt I'll ever need the full set, but I'd like to get a bag that I can attach to the top box rack to carry a heavy duty chain and padlock so that I can secure the bike when I'm out and about. Ideally, the bag should be easily removable as it'll doubtless get nicked if I leave it on the bike.

Anyone got any recommendations? I did consider a tank bag, but given the size of the GSA tank plus the weight of the chain (10kg with the lock), I'd prefer it was on the back on the bike.

Cheers,
Dom.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-May-2019, 03:36 AM (358)

I just picked this up, should have it this coming Monday.

https://www.amazon.com/MOTORRAD-SOFT.../dp/B00VKTHJZY
domx likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-May-2019, 05:00 AM (417)

I've been using this one for almost 2 years. Easy to attach and remove and has a carry handle.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...sport-tail-bag

Doesn't say where you live, but I've never needed to secure the bike beyond the security system on the bike.

Cliff
Lincoln County, NC, USA

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-May-2019, 07:03 AM (502) Thread Starter

Doesn't say where you live, but I've never needed to secure the bike beyond the security system on the bike.[/quote]

Thanks Cliff....looks like a great bag! I'm in the UK, so plan to ride into London when I need to be in the office and it's not the best city for bike security :-(
ExHarley Rider likes this.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-May-2019, 08:36 AM (567)
Super Awesom Person

If you want security the hard Vario Top Case is great. The size is adjustable, you can leave it locked to your bike or remove it easily. The BMW soft bag brownie is getting comes in different sizes and is also easy to remove and install. Just don't leave it on your bike.
The best chain and lock is the Kryptonite. I bought one and the more I use it the better I like it. I don't like leaving my bike at a hotel without some protection. Amazon had the best price. It's easy to connect it to a pole or what I do is wrap the back tire and lock it to the frame. It's very heavy duty and you won't be disapointed. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Rick
2018 R1200GS

Last edited by Rick92040; 01-May-2019 at 08:43 AM (571).
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-May-2019, 09:21 AM (598)

Garage
10kgs....yikes. Here is one that comes in a half that and includes a nylon bag.

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocia...d-chain-review

The bag looks to be compact to the point where you could stuff it in your pocket when leaving the bike locked.

That said I would imagine at some point you're going to want additional storage onboard for groceries, tire patch kit or any of the many bits and bobs that are useful to have on the bike, even while not in-route to Antartica. The problem then becomes having a more expensive (heavier) bag that you can't lock to the bike when off running errands. The Revzilla bag, case in point. A lockable (to the bike and to open) hard case behind you checks every box but style, if you're that kind of guy.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-May-2019, 09:41 AM (612)
Super Awesom Person

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crucian View Post
10kgs....yikes. Here is one that comes in a half that and includes a nylon bag.

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocia...d-chain-review

The bag looks to be compact to the point where you could stuff it in your pocket when leaving the bike locked.

That said I would imagine at some point you're going to want additional storage onboard for groceries, tire patch kit or any of the many bits and bobs that are useful to have on the bike, even while not in-route to Antartica. The problem then becomes having a more expensive (heavier) bag that you can't lock to the bike when off running errands. The Revzilla bag, case in point. A lockable (to the bike and to open) hard case behind you checks every box but style, if you're that kind of guy.
I did say it was heavy duty. The big loop on one end makes it extremely easy to attach to a pole or another bike and the size of the chain and lock insures thieves just walk away.
I lived in London back in the 70's and everyone had just the top box on the back to make it easy to split lanes.

Rick
2018 R1200GS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode