Side stand enlargement - Touratech vs. Wunderlich - Page 2 - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-May-2019, 07:38 PM (026)

I simply used a piece of 1/2 poly cutting board and 2 screws. I put a piece of paper under the side stand and traced it. Then took a 1/2 wide piece of aluminum stock and held it on the traced line and made the tracing 1/2" bigger. Rounder the corners by tracing a quarter. It took 10 minutes to cut and sand then used 2 small #8 machine screws to fasten. Painted black and it was done.

No way on dogs green earth would I spend $5 let along $70 or $80 on a side sand widener. I'd go back to using a smashed beer/soda can.
Attached Images

TDOW12 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 13-May-2019, 03:32 PM (855) Thread Starter

Thank you all for the tips!

I'm a bit concerned about the lean angle after an enlarger is added. I'll be at the dealer tomorrow for the 600 mile break in service.
I'll see what the shop has.

TDOW
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 13-May-2019, 05:30 PM (937)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDOW12 View Post
Thank you all for the tips!

I'm a bit concerned about the lean angle after an enlarger is added. I'll be at the dealer tomorrow for the 600 mile break in service.
I'll see what the shop has.

TDOW

If you want to check lean angle simply put a thin piece of wood, magazine or a deck/partial deck of playing cards on the floor and deploy the side stand onto it. Stand back and have a look.

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 14-May-2019, 04:54 AM (412)

Ya could always try this route. I'm tempted. For the time it'll take me to make one 15$ bucks is nothin.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Motorcycle-A...Gw1kag&vxp=mtr
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 14-May-2019, 07:33 AM (523)

I generally avoid Chinese knock-off's like the plaque but, let's face it, a side stand enlarger is about as low-tech as a part can get.

Further, with modern machining and production techniques I expect the profit margin on the $60-$80 that Wunderlitch, Touratech and SW-Motech's asked for these things is over 90%.

I found the following on Amazon for $14.99 with free shipping. Quality is excellent with CNC anodized aluminum foot and all stainless hardware. Took about 3 weeks to receive. Good luck!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07...0?ie=UTF8&th=1
Attached Images

post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 14-May-2019, 01:35 PM (774)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTTX View Post
I generally avoid Chinese knock-off's like the plaque but, let's face it, a side stand enlarger is about as low-tech as a part can get. Further, with modern machining and production techniques I expect the profit margin on the $60-$80 that Wunderlitch, Touratech and SW-Motech's asked for these things is over 90%.
Absolutely, when something can be made at home for pennies or factory made for a profit at $12 and the brand names are tryin to haul in $60/80! That's ridiculous.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 15-May-2019, 03:36 PM (858)

I bought one from China on eBay. Beautiful CNC machining and perfect fit. At a fraction of the price of SW Motech or Touratech. They must be using stolen IP from the German manufacturers. Here's an example, however there are countless sellers at very competitive pricing. Mine arrived in about 10 days. There are MANY things I wouldn't consider buying from the Chinese. That said, I think you're safe with this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-...QAAOSwaRBcZmOC
Attached Images

Last edited by jimdillard; 15-May-2019 at 03:39 PM (860).
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 16-May-2019, 04:35 AM (399)

Garage
This sounds like a great excuse to order a 3D printer!!!!!!

I carried around a orange plastic foot just recently I put on the Touratech.

Ian

Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 16-May-2019, 06:42 AM (487)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdillard View Post
I bought one from China on eBay. At a fraction of the price of SW Motech or Touratech. There are MANY things I wouldn't consider buying from the Chinese. That said, I think you're safe with this:
I wanted a head light and oil cooler guard and I decided to buy the cheap side stand enlarger as well. The premium price $280 CDN + Tax + shipping. Say $325 on the low side. I ordered all 3 for $75. I would pay allot more for the premium but $250 more? Nah, We'll see if the cheap stuff is junk for that price. I could have made all of it but for this price why not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode