2018 GSA Accessories Review - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Timinwashington

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 14-Jun-2019, 10:46 AM (657) Thread Starter

2018 GSA Accessories Review

Hello,
I have a 2018 GSA and recently added some accessories. I thought I would give my two cents on them in case anyone is looking to add these:

- Clearwater Erica lights. I replaced the stock accessory lights with these (same mount location). These are super bright. I also purchased the half frame billy brake light. The integration into the bike controls makes it easy to adjust and turn off/on. I started at the manufacturer suggested settings and those were too bright. You can adjust the daytime and night time brightness settings for the accessory lights and you can also set the tail light brightness for day and night and the brightness under braking. I have adjusted them all slightly less than the factory suggest. I only occasionally get flashed from oncoming cars (all have been during daytime). When you turn on your hi-beam, the Erica's also go full bright. These lights turn night into day. The appear to be well made. I highly recommend them.

- Michelin Anakee Adv tires - The stock tires are useless off road - even on dirt roads (anything with some gravel or slick dirt is scary). I mostly bike on the road but do travel a few dirt roads and would like to explore more (live in the Pacific NW). I had these mounted. On the road, they grip well (no less than the stock tires). They were a little twitchy at first, but that went away after a tank of gas. They turn in quicker than the stock tires, so that took a little bit to get accustomed too. I have done some dirt roads (maintained dirt roads and non-maintained dirt roads). They work great on well maintained dirt roads - much better than stock. I've gone on several non-maintained dirt roads (rutted and larger gravel and rocks). My impression is that the rear does well with this (loose rocks and ruts), but the front not as good as the rear. I think the grooves in the front need to be a little wider and the depth of the grooves a little deeper. It is not bad, but the front appears to be less competent in this stuff than the rear. It gets through it, but you have to pay attention more (especially going down hill). I have not been caught in the rain yet, but the design and the amount of dry grip tells me, these will be fine in the wet. Overall, I think these tires fit the 80/20 design perfectly. If I planned to spend more time on these non-maintained dirt roads, I would probably go with a 70/30 tire (metzeller), but these are working well for my intended purpose. I have not experienced any increase in noise over the stock tires (to be honest I have never noticed tire noise with either).

- Touratech plug and play suspension - These were installed by the dealer as I did not have time to spend doing it. The dealer did a great job and the electronics integrated as stated. The normal configuration from Touratech worked for my weight and use. I was told that it would come from touratech setup for my setup (filled out a form with weights, usage, etc). The front preload was setup correctly (rear is automatically adjusted on the 2018-2019) but the compression damping was not very close (the rebound damping is controlled by the computer, so I don't have to adjust it). I spent the following month adjusting a little at a time (front suspension then rear and only adjusting one adjuster at a time (there is high speed and low speed adjusters for compression). I pretty much have it where I want it. I did find out that you should start with the high speed adjustment first as it does more than the low speed adjustment. Once the high speed was close, I started on the low speed until I got it sorted. Riding it and making adjustments while on the ride helps a lot. Making adjustments at the end of the ride and then trying to remember on the next ride does not help. From all this, I have a much better understanding of how the high speed and low speed compression works. The suspension feels softer, but more controlled (if that makes sense). I'm using more travel, but the bikes handling remains constant and unsettled regardless of the amount of movement in the suspension. That is the best description I can think of. The only down side, is that this suspension is somewhat controlled by a computer, therefore, a human programmed the computer to control the suspension a certain way. One of my former motorcycles had ohlins suspension (sport bike) and was fully adjustable (manually). My feeling is that I could do slightly better if I had manual control over the rebound damping, but that is a minor complaint. Overall, this is a big improvement over stock. The shocks appear to be well built and stronger than stock, not to mention the ability to be worked on if needed. They are built by Trac
mikec likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 14-Jun-2019, 10:55 AM (663)
'05 R 1200 Gs

My opinion;

Michelin Anakees suck. Overpriced, noisy . Love my Shinkos.

'05 1200 GS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode