R1200GS Forum banner

Highway pegs and cushion for seat

3K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  bikermd 
#1 ·
I’m planning a cross country trip to New Jersey, looking for a way to make the seat more comfortable and need highway pegs. Any hot tips? This will be my first major trip of hopefully many and looking for some comfort.

Thanks

#2 · (Edited)
I found highway pegs awkward to use so I just stand up for a few minutes when I need to stretch my legs with the added benefit of re-leaving the pressure on my butt.. If you have the stock seat I feel your pain. Every BMW motorcycle I've owned I needed to replace the seat. I was in the middle of no-place Texas and was sitting on a concrete bench when I realized the bench was more comfortable than the stock seat on my 1600GT. As far as a pad goes the Airhawk seems to be the most popular but there are a lot to chose from. Just google "motorcycle seat pads" With the Airhawk you need to sit on it and let out the air until your bottom just touches the seat.
I found for my bony butt the Sargent seat works very well but my brother who is built like me likes the Airhawk.

#4 ·
I tried foot pegs on my GS and GSA and they dont provide the relief they do on other bikes. I either stand up or put my feet on the engine guards. I use a sargent seat also. Like Rick said earlier, i had to replace every BMW original seat with an after market seat.

#8 ·
What Ryno says, except a Russel Day Long seat is in a class of its own for comfort. Think angels gently caressing your butt. If the look of an RDL is not to your liking, go Sargent. It’s a big step down from RDL’s heavenly hands, but, for me, better than other alternatives, including Air Hawk, sheepskin, beads, Corbin or Bill Mayer ( really, Rocky) custom seats. As for the stock seat, BMW should be sued by PITA for killing all those porcupines whose quills are what the OEM seats are stuffed with.

#6 ·
pegs and seat

Sargent seat for now soon to be RDL. I just installed these pegs on the gsa and like them for a change. I also stand but its nice to change positions once in a while. Here is a link to adventure designs. They are well made from Aluminum.

https://www.advdesigns.com/highwaypegs.html

#7 ·
Sargent seat for now soon to be RDL. I just installed these pegs on the gsa and like them for a change. I also stand but its nice to change positions once in a while. Here is a link to adventure designs. They are well made from Aluminum.

https://www.advdesigns.com/highwaypegs.html
I had a set of those on GTL.
Those pegs are pretty cool with the hidden compartment.

#9 ·
Airhawk

For the sake of time went with the air hawk. I’ll see how this works out, should be close to 5000 miles.

I’ll ignore the footpegs and figure ways to stretch out.

I did buy a tubeless repair kit...just to have.

I’m riding into Cleveland I hope by Sunday night from Lincoln Nebraska, any suggestions about sight seeing?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.