R1200GS Forum banner

I wish I had....on my 4200 mile 10 day ride

8K views 26 replies 14 participants last post by  Jarrell 
#1 ·
Just finished a ride from Colorado to Portville ny, down to Tuckerton nj, to new hope pa, and back via Morgantown wv and Lincoln ne finally back to Colorado

Close to 4200 miles. Riding my GSA 2018... only luggage I needed was a tank bag, a dry bag and a rear top box...

I wish I had gone with my instincts and bought foot pegs and a better seat and a back rest for highway rides. I’ve heard of the footpegs with the secret compartment and seats made by Steve laam and the Russell day long seat as well as their back rests they sell.

Would like suggestions to solve the problem of rider fatigue. Accessories that are high priority for long distance 600-700 mile days in the saddle. I tried standing up, letting my legs hang and putting my feet on the crash bars.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Seat #1

Just got back from a Daytona to Seattle trip followed by a WA, BC, ID, MT, WY & OR ride and without a doubt the seat was the #1 thing that made the trip enjoyable. Pick the seat that suits you best (that's almost like an oil thread).

The second surprising thing was a water bladder (Camel pack) as the temperatures in TX, NM and southern Idaho were insane. Hydration was huge for me.

As far as the foot pegs, I have a set of SW Motech's that have a thick rubber pad that can be removed to expose the aggressive profile for off-road. Grip buddies to reduce vibration a bit, old cotton sweatshirt that you will soak and use in the dry heat (attempt this in the southeast and you will surely get heatstroke), synthetic compression apparel to wick moisture and keep things in place. A good set of Rx polarized sunglasses are a must for me. A cheap kidney belt also came in handy.

Hope these simple tips help.

#4 ·
understand. Riding Midland at 108 is not fun.
And correct on the "cooling vests" pretty useless in the SE USA ( with particular emphasis on Fl and La. There has to be a humidity gradient for them to work. Just did much of your ride on my ride to BC/Vancouver Island. Had to take my winter gear for BC. All vented, but vents only go so far in three digits.

I've shied from the camelbacks because of their weight and occlusion of airflow. I carry water on me and have rigged up a tube similar to camelback. I chill it overnight and put it in my vest pocket.
Sometimes it not just water balance though it's just the absolute heat.

#5 ·
Those are very long days. consecutive iron buttlets will take a toll on you and the ride, especially if not comfortable temp wise, cold or hot. Why so long in the saddle?
Compression socks, over the calf are fine to help circulation and ward off DVT. See if you have "dependent edema" over your ankles and shins at the end of a long day. That means your circulation is compromised. You don't want that.

Walk a bit every couple of hours...you are riding tank to tank so, break a bit at gas stops. +1 on all of krandunc's recs...I have Black Dog foot pegs. It takes some minimal effort to keep your feet aligned on the OEMs, you don't need to waste that energy.
Grip puppies, or the like, yes...an alternative is a cushioned tennis racket grip tape. Or both.

I don't like the polarized suns. They, for me, make every discoloration on the road look like an oil slick, and tthey can play havoc with LCD displays. My helmet, Shoei Neotec, has a flip down sunshade that I love. I am a glasses wearer.
Point is, sun protection and hearing protection are must haves

Kidney belt? like those low back black velcro things they wear at Home Depot, for support? that's a good idea as long as you don't need to vent that area to dissipate heat. Good idea though esp to try if you suffer from low back pain.

Carry something OTC for aches and pains. Tylenol would be best, not because it works better, they all work pretty well, but it won't prolong bleeding if you're unfortunate enough to bleed somehow.

#6 ·
As a European, I have been riding BMW's and H-D on longish stretches in Arizona, California and Nevada for about ten years in September and October heat... .

I may be missing something, but I fail to see the joy in riding such long distances in those temperatures that you need Tylenol, just to withstand the pain and discomfort...

Can't you just sit home and whack a big hammer on your head to get the same level of suffering ?

Cheaper and easier... :wink2:

#7 ·
Long distance ride accessories

So far I think it’s going to be the Russell day long seat with a back rest and Adv Designs footrests. I am under the impression the russel day long will sit high and may affect off road riding because of the greater width.

Now I need to work on audio upgrade for my neotec 2 and sena srl , can’t hear a thing at highway speeds.

#11 ·
Now I need to work on audio upgrade for my neotec 2 and sena srl , can’t hear a thing at highway speeds.
I have the same setup and hear it just fine. Try adjusting the settings and wear earplugs. My ears would get sore after days of riding until I found these. https://earplugsonline.com/

As far as the seat goes my Sargent seat works just fine for me. I found underwear with no seams and pants with no pockets in the back helps. Standing up quite a few times to ease knee pain works better than highway pegs in my case. I wish my GS had another half gallon of gas and I need to change my windshield as the stock one is just too small.

#8 · (Edited)
Xlntcfp,

Your travel luggage is the same as mine, minus the tank bag, I have handlebar bag instead.
As I get older I limit myself to about 500 miles a day max if possible. IMO, ten days of 420 average miles per day, will wear on you no matter what seat or footpegs you have.
I have a Sargent Seat with an airhawk for those long days. It does make a difference, but I still ache a little in the end, no pun intended.
I tried the footpegs with the secret compartment https://www.advdesigns.com/highwaypegs.html on my GS and my GSA, they didnt satisfy. Not able to really stretch the legs out. Too soothe my arthritic knee I stand or put my feet on the crash bars. With the wider fairing on our GSA it doesn't allow full use of the jugs as leg rests. Worked great on the GS though.
Like seats, footpegs are a personal thing.
I don't like to wear a reservoir of water on my back due to it constricting and prevents ventilation flow.
I am a firm believer of stopping ever couple hundred or so and drinking water/stretching the legs. May push it to a gas stop to perform those.
My $.02

#9 · (Edited)
I just did 3,941 miles from Pennsylvania to Labrador and back via Newfoundland. Only thing I'd have liked to have was more time off work to keep going.

Comfort mods:

Seat beads
ADV designs highway pegs (these are the bee's knee's)
Grip puppies.

My trick for rider fatigue is within 10 minutes of the days ride start moving around the bike even thought you don't feel you need too. Stand, sit, dangle legs, sit normally, arch back. Do something different ever 15 to 20 minutes.

Early in my touring career I'd get on the bike get comfortable and not move for an hour or two. Then when I tried to move my joints were stiff from inactivity.

Also eat a healthy breakfast and light lunch stay hydrated with good fluids like water with electrolytes. If your a drinker a 5 hour energy drink or some B12 sublingual pills in the morning to help replace the B vitamins the alcohol sucked out of you is for good measure.

Reactions: Xlntcfp
#13 · (Edited)
I decided that I needed a sidestand switch guard and a headlight guard. Rather than spend $200 or so, I ordered the sidestand guard from Amazon (Chinesium-$10) and the Lexan headlight cover from the UK on Ebay for less than $30 (including Paypal's obscene exchange rate).

I got the headlight guard in from the UK. Shipped air freight. Very nicely made of Lexan and installation took less than 5 minutes. Doesn't fold down for cleaning, but only requires removal of 4 screws.

#14 ·
I decided that I needed a sidestand switch guard and a headlight guard. Rather than spend $200 or so, I ordered the sidestand guard from Amazon (Chinesium-$10) and the Lexan headlight cover from the UK on Ebay for less than $30 (including Paypal's obscene exchange rate).
I’ve heard that the side stand switch guard will come in handy, many of the riders at Rawhyde mentioned that’s one of the have to have items, thanks!

#17 ·
Adventure Design foot pegs

My history with the above foot pegs is a follows: After a few thousand miles one of the covers [for the secret compartment ] went missing.

I ordered a new cover at a cost of $25.00 plus shipping. What a rip off. I check for tightness with my normal maintenance. Guess what, another

cover rotated off in transit. Needless to say I am not buying another one. These pegs are not worth the money.

#19 ·
My history with the above foot pegs is a follows: After a few thousand miles one of the covers [for the secret compartment ] went missing.

I ordered a new cover at a cost of $25.00 plus shipping. What a rip off. I check for tightness with my normal maintenance. Guess what, another

cover rotated off in transit. Needless to say I am not buying another one. These pegs are not worth the money.
Thanks for your input, I’d hate to have to add that to my checklist every day

#25 ·
My 2 cents ..... a good set of highway pegs, a good seat and a back rest. I love my Best Rest back rest. Photo attached. For stamina and hydration I take a CamelBak. In the Camelbak I pour one small bottle of those 5 hour energy drinks (the little one that's always at the counter). Since the energy drink is diluted in the Camelbak it doesn't spike your energy it just gives me enough perk to stay alert and attentive. Of course .... frequent stops and healthy food.

#26 ·
I have a Sargent seat. Very little discomfort on long rides. Stand up or stop and walk a little. Cruiser pegs to stretch out. Cruise control for resting right arm. Tank bag I sometimes lay forward on for different position. Large duffle bag on passenger seat and medium duffle bag with my sleeping bag in and position so I have low and mid back support. Works really well. Look at my garage pictures and get the idea?

#27 ·
Just finished a ride from Colorado to Portville ny, down to Tuckerton nj, to new hope pa, and back via Morgantown wv and Lincoln ne finally back to Colorado

Close to 4200 miles. Riding my GSA 2018... only luggage I needed was a tank bag, a dry bag and a rear top box...

I wish I had gone with my instincts and bought foot pegs and a better seat and a back rest for highway rides. I’ve heard of the footpegs with the secret compartment and seats made by Steve laam and the Russell day long seat as well as their back rests they sell.

Would like suggestions to solve the problem of rider fatigue. Accessories that are high priority for long distance 600-700 mile days in the saddle. I tried standing up, letting my legs hang and putting my feet on the crash bars.

Thanks in advance
All of these responding to rider comfort are key to a relaxing ride. I ride a 2016 GS sw Moto footpegs there wider and comfortable for your feet, heli bar risers moves bar up and back, weighted bar ends eliminate the bar buzz, rdl seat, touring windscreen, grip puppies. If you're comfortable you want more miles alot of great suggestions on this post enjoy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.