3Likes
  • 1 Post By patsrides
  • 1 Post By patsrides
  • 1 Post By patsrides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 21-Oct-2019, 05:26 PM (934) Thread Starter
'05 R 1200 Gs

Garmin Zumo 396 LMT-S

Anyone out there using one of these on an older bike an '05. My 276 c is just too antiquated and limited. I found an outfit that sells these for $249. Looking for experienced review. Thank you.

https://g.factoryoutletstore.com/det...22#accessories

'05 1200 GS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 22-Oct-2019, 01:32 AM (272)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
Anyone out there using one of these on an older bike an '05. My 276 c is just too antiquated and limited. I found an outfit that sells these for $249. Looking for experienced review. Thank you.

https://g.factoryoutletstore.com/det...22#accessories
I did a youtube review a year or so on mine.

overall good gps. biggest down side is it can be hard to see in the sun. I bought it when it first hit the market. My favorite thing about it is the pandora app. lol But now that I have the GSA I am putting it on the wife's bike because the GSA came with the Nav6.

I should do an update review. I really like the adventurous routing that it has. You can pick how big or small of a road it takes you on. Beats the nav6 there with just the curvy road feature.

I dont like how it mounts to the cradle. I bought the touratech locking mount for the 396. Let just say it works but it is a PIA to get the gps to lock into it.

Dont think you can go wrong for 250.
Southpaw likes this.

My YouTube Page:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Currently riding a 2019 BMW R1250GSA
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 22-Oct-2019, 07:02 AM (501) Thread Starter
'05 R 1200 Gs

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsrides View Post
I did a youtube review a year or so on mine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-Ak-I5MRNg&t=1s

overall good gps. biggest down side is it can be hard to see in the sun. I bought it when it first hit the market. My favorite thing about it is the pandora app. lol But now that I have the GSA I am putting it on the wife's bike because the GSA came with the Nav6.

I should do an update review. I really like the adventurous routing that it has. You can pick how big or small of a road it takes you on. Beats the nav6 there with just the curvy road feature.

I dont like how it mounts to the cradle. I bought the touratech locking mount for the 396. Let just say it works but it is a PIA to get the gps to lock into it.

Dont think you can go wrong for 250.
Thanks so much. Just wondering if you are able to power this through the hella din style power sockets? Don't mean to be a pita, but this last trip convinced me to upgrade. I have run out of room on the handlebars to mount anymore gadgets, soI would like to utilize my existing Motorrad GPS bracket.
Attached Images

'05 1200 GS

Last edited by Southpaw; 22-Oct-2019 at 07:19 AM (513).

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 22-Oct-2019, 04:06 PM (879)

The way the power wires come are meant to hook to something like a battery. You'd have to figure out a way to hook it up the way you want. Unless garmin changed something inside the package. I bought it when it first hit the market.
Southpaw likes this.

My YouTube Page:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 23-Oct-2019, 06:42 AM (487)

Garage
"I bought the touratech locking mount for the 396. Let just say it works but it is a PIA to get the gps to lock into it."

I agree. I purchased the Touratech locking mount to provide a theft deterrent for my 396. I never figured that it would be just as much of a deterrent to mount/unmount the GPS from the locking cradle. In its defense, it is a nice mount and with continued use (break-in) over the past year, it has become much easier to mount/remove the GPS from the cradle.

Bob

Bob

2010 R1200GS
2005 K1200LT
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 23-Oct-2019, 03:11 PM (841)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobvalrod View Post
"I bought the touratech locking mount for the 396. Let just say it works but it is a PIA to get the gps to lock into it."

I agree. I purchased the Touratech locking mount to provide a theft deterrent for my 396. I never figured that it would be just as much of a deterrent to mount/unmount the GPS from the locking cradle. In its defense, it is a nice mount and with continued use (break-in) over the past year, it has become much easier to mount/remove the GPS from the cradle.

Bob
I am so glad it isn't just me having that issue!! My locking mount for my 665 was a breeze to use!
Bobvalrod likes this.

My YouTube Page:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode