WOTL - TFT + Nav VI + Sena = ???? - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 5Likes
  • 4 Post By ADV Wanderer
  • 1 Post By JoeFishNC

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-Nov-2019, 09:06 PM (129) Thread Starter

WOTL - TFT + Nav VI + Sena = ????

Looking for a little guidance...

I have a 2018 GSA with the TFT screen and a Nav VI. I bought it "lightly used" this past May.

I have a Sena headset in my Touratech helmet.

I have an iPhone 8+.

The Sena and phone are linked to the TFT so I can listen to music and make/receive calls through the TFT and use the wonder-wheel (WW).

However, I cannot figure out how to get the Nav VI to speak to me. I can use the WW to change the screens on the GPS, but I get no sound whatsoever. I recently found that the GPS was not linked to the TFT, but I could not get them to "find" each other...

I am fully cognizant that the weak link is probably the throttle twister (I hate technology when I cannot get it to work...).

Can anyone enlighten me...? Any advice greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

CraftyRider
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-Nov-2019, 09:35 PM (149)

The Nav and TFT only pass data between each other. They don't pass voice/sound to each other.
You set bluetooth up to "talk" with either the Nav or to the TFT. Not both.

Looks like you have things set up to talk to the TFT.
So connect your Sena/phone to the Nav, not the TFT.

Most people find they get the best results by using the Nav as the primary bluetooth hub.

Basically, if you DON'T have a Nav, you set everything up to the TFT. If you DO have a Nav, pretend the TFT is not there, and set everything up to the Nav.
julit0, RTTX, patsrides and 1 others like this.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-Nov-2019, 07:04 PM (044)

I'm going to give that a go myself because I've yet to connect my Schuberth SC1 helmet comms successfully with my iPhone and Nav6/TFT. I carefully followed some lengthy instructions that I found on youtube and everything seemed to work initially but on my second ride I found I was getting constant interference from outside sources, traffic lights in particular and my music would cut in and out, very irritating. I was also getting constant speed zone and speed camera warning pings but I did manage to work out how to turn those off. The interference only started on the second ride, why I can't explain, but it was so annoying that I unpaired everything and simply connected my phone directly to my helmet. I still hear a slight 'crackle' through the helmet speakers when traffic lights are about to change, maybe that's just something to do with how the lights in Adelaide operate.

I would love to get everything functioning as it should, particularly the Nav verbal instructions, so I'll persevere until I get there!

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-Nov-2019, 03:25 AM (392)

Spent yesterday playing with the NAV, TFT, IPhone and Sena. Then came across this YT video. Great explanation on how to best set this up - 58 minutes+ long but hang in there and all should become clear by following his step-by-step instructions. Search for:
BMW Motorcycle TFT with NAV VI and Headset setup and use. Put out by WheelSpin Productions. No affiliation.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-Nov-2019, 09:26 AM (643)

I used multipoint pairing with Sena 20, iPhone and Nav V, but found when using GPS navigation and Sena communication the Nav V kept causing too much voice cut out and drop. Now I just sync with iPhone and visually follow GPS.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-Nov-2019, 12:30 PM (770)

This is one of those things that I approached from the perspective of "this ain't rocket science - why doesn't it all just work." With that perspective you'll be as frustrated as I was. I finally just surrendered to the limitations that I thought were bovine scat and reached a happy place with just pairing my phone and the Sena. I get all the music I want that way; I can be on the intercom all day; and I can make and take calls. Simple and no reason to complicated it further just because it should work better.

On this kind of stuff I'm reminded of the joke about the guy on the airplane flight being told that the WIFI is going to be down for this flight. He's goes berserk, red in the face, blood pressure soaring PO'd. He's in a comfortable chair in a metal tube going 600 mph through the sky at 36,000' and going to arrive thousands of miles away within minutes of when he expected and he's crazy upset about a feature not being available that he didn't even know existed before he got on the flight.

Holy h3ll, the new Honda Africa Twin ADV bike has Apple CarPlay on its TFT. BMW better get it's act together before everyone is riding a Honda with the latest sparkly thing on it.

Current scooters:
'16 R1200GS Triple Black
'16 KTM Super Duke 1290R
'18 Yamaha WR250R
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-Nov-2019, 04:10 PM (924)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayBeard View Post
I finally just surrendered to the limitations that I thought were bovine scat and reached a happy place with just pairing my phone and the Sena. I get all the music I want that way; I can be on the intercom all day; and I can make and take calls. Simple and no reason to complicated it further just because it should work better
Thats exactly where I am at right now but its still frustrating that the much lauded connectivity features of the bike remain elusive (at least to me).
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-Nov-2019, 08:21 PM (098)

Pairing

I have a 2017 R1200GSA with Nav VI. Works best to pair Nav VI to Sena20s. Then pair iPhone to NAV VI. When I started it all up, all my music was loaded on the NAV automatically- I have a card in the NAV. I can receive calls thru my phone, and make calls as long as cellular data turned on for SIRI. Can even listen to FM radio direct thru Sena. Must be MP3 recordings if I remember correctly.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-Dec-2019, 07:52 PM (078)

Garage
Steps 1.2.3.

1 - Update all devices to the latest firmware
Sena (1.0.7)
TFT System (001_019_180)
GPS NAV VI (Garmin Express)
2 - Delete all Bluetooth connections
Phone - ICC6.5in (TFT) + COM + GPS
Sena (Hold Middle button till "Configuration" then + till Delete All)
TFT System
GPS NAV VI
3 - Pairing devices in this order
a. Sena to the TFT using Primary Phone Connection
b. Sena to the GPS using GPS Connection (Yes Headset, Yes Media)
c. Phone to TFT (Yes Contact sharing)
d. Phone to GPS (NO Contact sharing, NO Phone calls, Yes Smartphone link, Yes Media)
Rick92040 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode