Securing your helmet (on the cheap) - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-Nov-2019, 12:40 PM (777) Thread Starter

Location: Livin' in a Poor Man's Shangri, La. aka New Orleans
Securing your helmet (on the cheap)

When I stop for a pit stop break, or a quick lunch or at work, I have usually secured my helmet with a padlock through the D rings onto something on the bike.

I always felt this was a bit sloppy because someone could slice the strap and take the helmet. However I rationalized it figuring that the helmet would be useless if the security straps were destroyed, right?

I recently heard an Adventure Rider Radio (ARR) podcast mention that someone who is going to slice the straps to steal your helmet, chances are they won't secure it anyway, but just place it on their head unsecured. Stupid? yes, but you cannot underestimate stupid. So, I began to look around for security devices...and they exist...for a price. The suggestion from ARR was to place any securing cable through the chin and out through the visor.
A simple short cable should exist, right? I couldn't find one.
I found a company that fab'd one for me for the grand total of $6.80delivered. It works perfectly, is flexible, short, easy to use and certainly strong enough for anything short of a bolt cutter.
I measured the distance needed to be 17" and went with the thinner of the two stranded cables ava. Very easy people to deal with and quick service. Very satisfied with this very cheap insurance to protect against a potentially expensive loss, and I wanted to share
https://www.tufnut.com/

17" (tip to tip) SC cable (3/16-1/4" OD black) with loop ends and heat shrink all fittings
Attached Images

Rick92040 and Clayshooter08 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-Nov-2019, 12:45 PM (781)

Garage
I use a gun trigger cable.....you can buy them in gun stores or even Walmart!!!!
It might say Remington or something on it.....
Dr. Strangelove and djdehne like this.

Marty
2007 R1200 GSA

Asheville Area USA

post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-Nov-2019, 01:12 PM (800)
Super Awesom Person

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
When I stop for a pit stop break, or a quick lunch or at work, I have usually secured my helmet with a padlock through the D rings onto something on the bike.

I always felt this was a bit sloppy because someone could slice the strap and take the helmet. However I rationalized it figuring that the helmet would be useless if the security straps were destroyed, right?

I recently heard an Adventure Rider Radio (ARR) podcast mention that someone who is going to slice the straps to steal your helmet, chances are they won't secure it anyway, but just place it on their head unsecured. Stupid? yes, but you cannot underestimate stupid. So, I began to look around for security devices...and they exist...for a price. The suggestion from ARR was to place any securing cable through the chin and out through the visor.
A simple short cable should exist, right? I couldn't find one.
I found a company that fab'd one for me for the grand total of $6.80delivered. It works perfectly, is flexible, short, easy to use and certainly strong enough for anything short of a bolt cutter.
I measured the distance needed to be 17" and went with the thinner of the two stranded cables ava. Very easy people to deal with and quick service. Very satisfied with this very cheap insurance to protect against a potentially expensive loss, and I wanted to share
https://www.tufnut.com/

17" (tip to tip) SC cable (3/16-1/4" OD black) with loop ends and heat shrink all fittings
That's a good idea. I think I'm going to order one on Monday. Thanks.
Dr. Strangelove likes this.

Rick
2018 R1200GS

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-Nov-2019, 02:13 PM (842)

I just use a cheap bicycle combo cable lock (thin-wire ones that coil up on themselves)

I can't post a link, but if you google "Master Lock 8143D" you'll see the one.

Mine came with a little metal tab with the combination on it, that I attached to my keychain in case I forget the combo.

The purpose of the lock is to discourage crimes of opportunity. A determined thief won't be deterred by something more robust.

I also have a second one that I can slip through the sleeve of my riding jacket and lock it to the bike frame, in case I want to leave my jacket behind. The jacket doesn't fit in a top box with all the armor in it.

I only use these rarely, as I am usually in pretty remote or small-town areas.
Dr. Strangelove likes this.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-Nov-2019, 03:54 PM (913)
2019 R1250 GSA

Garage
These are what I use. Made by Kryptonite. 32" of cable when fully extracted. I used a quarter for scale.
Attached Images

Current Stable:
1914 Flying Merkel
1946 Indian Chief
2003 Harley Davidson Dyna Glide
2019 R1250 GSA
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-Nov-2019, 10:35 PM (191) Thread Starter

Location: Livin' in a Poor Man's Shangri, La. aka New Orleans
thanks for the feedback. Agree. Doing something is better than doing nothing or doing something half-assed. I wanted cheap (in price, not quality) and the tufnut solution fit the bill perfectly, for me. And $6.80 for a custom length stranded cable is strong and cheap.
virkdoc, Rick92040, Mark_M and 1 others like this.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-Nov-2019, 12:13 PM (759)

Harbor Freight sells a cable with combination lock built-in for about 6 bucks. Around 2 feet long.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-Nov-2019, 01:18 PM (804)

If I lock my helmet I put the d-ring inside a pannier, close it up and lock the pannier.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-Nov-2019, 03:07 PM (880)

Garage
Another day in the life of a fool:

Living at or near the epicenter of teefdom, I'm no virgin. That said, traveling throughout the US and Canada at pit stops, I place my helmet between the tank bag and the bars and drape my jacket over it all. Never, in miles and miles, place to place have I lost this gamble. Nighttime when I camp, kit resides inside my tent or if motelling it, in my room. Did I forget to tell you about the $49 motel in Oklahoma that charged me three times for one night's stay? You can run but you can't hide.

Did I also forget to mention that my Aerostich jacket is road danger cone orange? That color acts like insect repellent for your more stylish thieves. I don't disagree with locks and cables but they are not for me.
sshort and Rider2 like this.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-Nov-2019, 05:39 AM (485)

I usually take my helmet and jacket inside with me at restaurants and such. There have been a few times when I needed to lock up my jacket and helmet on the bike and luckily a friend had a long cable lock and could do them all. Those occasions were usually when hiking off the bike.

I personally have a weird cognitive dissonance with locking my helmet on the bike. If I don't feel safe leaving it outside out of sight, then where my mind goes is that if I leave it outside, someone will dump something disgusting inside it. I know, that makes no sense. So I leave it hung on the mirror or take it in with me.
sshort likes this.

Current scooters:
'16 R1200GS Triple Black
'16 KTM Super Duke 1290R
'18 Yamaha WR250R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode