R1200GS Forum banner

Anakee 3 NOISY

50K views 69 replies 41 participants last post by  Clay 
#1 ·
Have a set with less than 2000 miles on them and the high pitch wine is driving me crazy. They just started about 300 miles ago and seem to be getting louder. Most noticeable between 40-60 mph. Anyone with experience with this? Do they quiten down with wear or get worse?

#4 ·
I must be deaf. Or maybe my earplugs are working better than I expect. The anakees that came with my wethead (born 5/31) are no better or worse than most other tires with regards to noise. Now if you want to hear a howl check on the K60s :eek:

I do like how the 3s work so far.

#7 ·
Tyres

Just been through this I now have a may 2012 adventure and at 3000rpm in 5th so about 45 to 50 I had a awfull noise which went when you pulled the clutch in I nearly got BMW to put a new gearbox in under warrenty But at the last moment they stuck on some Metzlers and the noise went ! Funny it didn't do this in 4th or 6th !

#8 ·
Had a noise with the Anakee 2 tyres which occured in 5th gear at around 80k/hr, but could never be sure if it was tyres or gearbox or final drive.

Just got a new Anakee 3 fitted and bang the noise in 5th at 80k was gone. I thought great.
Then after a few hundred K's I notice a really annoying wine at 100k/hr, 4th gear yes, 5th gear yes, 6th gear yes.

I am really thinking of ditching Michlin and trying another brand.

Interesting to hear everyone's comments.

Mal
Australia

#9 ·
Anakee 3 NOISY

Anakee 3s were on my '14 GSA from the factory. I'd used earlier versions of them on my '09 and looked forward to the trying out the new design. They were loud from the beginning and I couldn't keep air in them. The rear would leak 3 - 7 lbs. overnight and the front would generally drop around 2 lbs. Yes, the valve stems were checked repeatedly. At 6000 miles, I switched to Tourances. No more leak-downs and the new tires are much quieter.

Mike

#10 ·
My 2014 came with Anakke IIIs, no noticable noise from them at any speed, I never wear earplugs so would probably hear noise if there was any to hear. I love these tires! And 2200 miles and the tire pressure has stayed right on and it's been checked with two different guages (one in the bike tools and one that stays at home):)

#15 ·
There have been lots of complaints about AIII noise on another forum. I have them on my DL650, and while I was not particularly impressed with them (over my beloved AIIs), I didn't notice them to be particularly noise. I don't notice them on the new GS, either, but that might be attributable to being unfamiliar with all the other strange sounds (different from the DL650s knocks, pings, and hammering) of the new bike.

#16 ·
noisy tyres

agree entirely with the issue of noisy tyres or wind turbulence on the new LCE
- its hard to believe BMW is just letting this run as if its not an issue for them. I'm on the Anakee 3 tyres and hate the bikes whining noise above 60kms. Its not satisfactory to argue earplugs resolve the issue and in another forum I have noted a member suggesting taking off the front mudguard.....how bizarre is it that we have to consider this. Does anyone in BMW read these forums and bother to help? I'm on the verge of looking at a Multi Strada if new tyres dont work ...ie if its a design fault.

#17 ·
My R1200GS build date is 4/14 and Ive done 11000kms. Front tyre noise has been annoying me since about day 3 of ownership. Through 2 sets of tyres the noise is still there. Karoo 3s and Anakee 3s - howling noise from as low as 30kph to about 90kph when wind noise overcomes it. On removing the front mudguard the noise is almost completely gone and a huge improvement. I've tried insulating the guard with acoustic rubber matting, but really no difference. I've removed and refitted it about five times now so Im completely sure it is the guard, it seems to amplify road noise something shocking! At the moment I don't use the guard, but I haven't ridden off-road or in rain without it yet, that will be a problem so I need to resolve this.
My dealer says its just road noise and 'suck it up'. If I cant resolve, I think I'll sell.
PS:
I use class 5 earplugs and a windjammer, but it still annoys me!

#19 ·
noisy tyres

I agree the new GS1200 LCE tyre noise is shocking ....unbelievable BMW doesn't get its act together with this ....just says its someone else's problem.
would be nice to know what tyre actually runs normally without a loud whine.
The gearbox is also a backwards step - anyone struggle with it?

#20 ·
Anakee 3 NOISY

I've always liked Anakees and had great luck with the first and second generations of tires. My A-3s were noisy but the main issue was I couldn't keep air in them. I switched them for Tourances at 6000 miles . . . . not more air issues and they're not nearly as noisy. YMMV.

I've had no transmission issues. It shifts smoothly.

Mike

#21 ·
Hi to all.
I literally had Anakee 3's fitted this afternoon getting rid of a set of Heidenau's that were on it prior.
Already got great feedback and confidence, good progressive lean angle and I have little or No noise at all. I will keep you posted how I go.
My bike is a 2007 GSA and no gearbox issues, and 120,000kms on her.

#23 ·
NOW I see...

That noise that seems to be originated in the engine when I ride 50~70 km/h is probably coming from a brand new set of Anakee III´s ...

:mad:

Did a 450 km (300mi) ride yesterday to try those new shoes.

1) Even after 300 km (200mi) tyres still seem to have that *factory wax* that everyone says is dangerous.

2) That noise is constant but not loud enough to bother me.

Did a good job on gravel. But I no longer dare to try muddy roads because I know I will end up in the ground for sure. :(

#26 ·
I've had all 3 of the Anekees, and they wear well and handle great. I would have to agree, they are loud. For that reason, I would not buy another set of the 3's. I replaced them with Conti Trail Attacks, and like them alot.
I had no problems with the 3's outside of the noise.

#27 ·
Hi All,

Just switched 2 months ago from a Honda 1200 Cross-Tourer to a 1200GS LC (and loving it!).
I put the Honda onto Anakee III's about a year before and the BMW came with Anakee III's.

I did notice with both motorcycles that the tyres are noisy - this was particularly noticeable on the Honda as I switched to them, but for the life of me I cannot remember what it came with.
I only do tarmac riding and do about 17,000KM per year. I must say I am reasonably happy with the tyres - apart from the noise! I have also heard the same complaint from many other riders in SA.
I have not experienced the loss of air that some forum members are experiencing.
All the best!

#28 · (Edited)
They all do

Every set of tyres I have ever fitted, on any model GS have at some point have been noisy.
Not annoyingly load noisy, just different harmonics at different speeds, I pay no attention to it anymore.

Its just another one of those "they all do that" things with a GS

#31 ·
noisy yes

I rode on ANAKEE 3 since last year ( R1200GS) and have made 15 000km on them on hard surface mostly. Hard riding lots of twisted roads (the Balkans) and will share my impression:
Very noisy indeed, but nothing to worry about.
Grip is very good on dry (like any tire)
On wet - well until 10K no problem but ever since- not very good and was going progressively bad.
Front tire wore on a cone (may be is my riding stile I don,t know but the middle of the tire became sharp where the sides are worn more than the middle.
Rear tire began to go flat( in the middle) at 10000K.
Rear tire has a very shallow angle and I am reaching the end of the thread without even pushing the bike too much into the turn.
For some other people this might be very impressive (no chicken strips), but for me is just pain, because I fear running out of thread on sharp turns. On other brands( Michelin pilot, Bridgestone Batlaxx), I was able to do this only on very hard rides other wise always had a finger of strip for safety.

My opinion - Regular tire with very cool thread pattern

So i replaced the tires with the new Dunlop TRAILSMART (new for this year), even before the Michelin reached thread ware indicators.

First impression is very good, bike handles differently (like any other with new tires).
Bike tends to want to go strait and it takes more push on the bar to lean it in the corner. (most likely because the Michelin was very coney).
not as sharp and intimidate in turning, but that is first impression. There is always difference between new tire and the old one, it needs time to get used to and discover the difference whether for good or bad.

I will post in month or two my impressions of the Dunlop

Hope this helps someone

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.