Continental Road Attacks - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 30-Sep-2009, 11:44 AM (697) Thread Starter

Continental Road Attacks

I have put a set of Road Attacks on my new GS as I ride almost exclusively on the road. They were highly recommended and so far seem to be pretty good. Anyone else had any experience with them - good or bad? What about other brands of road tyres? Any useful comments?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-Oct-2009, 09:43 AM (613)

had them on my Ducati

they are very good tires, IMHO. But I've found that the dual purpose tires are fine for what I am doing. The Road Attacks are going to be freaky on gravel. On the gravel driveway at my house the Duc was very skitterish.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-Oct-2009, 01:58 PM (790)
Free Genie

Send a message via MSN to Schtum Send a message via Skype™ to Schtum
I've got Trail Attacks on my '09 GS. They're ok but not as good as the Dunlop D607s which I had on my '07 bike. The Dunlops were spectacularly good.

"A map is not the territory it represents, but if correct, it has a similar structure to the territory, which accounts for its usefulness".
Alfred Korzybski

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-Oct-2009, 07:04 PM (002)

Good Choice

Outstanding tires...
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-Oct-2009, 05:27 PM (935)
Sit

Just took a set of Trail Attacks off of my GS. After 3K miles the bike developed a wobble or head shake between 35-40 mph. BMW checked the rim, bearing etc with no luck. Changed out the front TA today, now with just over 3,400 miles on it and wobble is gone. To go along with the wobble the bike lately has felt unsettle when coming to a stop. With new tire on the front, that was all gone and bike was back to normal. Took the rear TA off too and replaced it. Wont be getting TA's again. Others told me the head shake was the tires, was hoping it wasn't but seems to be true.

05 K1200LT Ocean Blue Metallic
89 K100RS White/Blue
92 K75S Metallic Black
13 Ural Patrol White (sold)
07 R1200GS (sold)
04 R1150R (sold)
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 15-Oct-2009, 03:16 PM (844) Thread Starter

Smile Road Attack update

As I have racked up some more miles on the GS I can report that the Road Attacks are very inspiring and seem to perform well - they suit the GS it seems! I find that I can "attack" (excuse the pun) the twisties with much more authority thatn I would have thought possible. One of my riding mates on a Honda CB1300 said he couldn't keep up with me last weekend and was worried that I am running my bike in in that fashion. I told him to stop riding like a Granny and get into it!
After many years of riding my last bike with Metzler Z6's I am pretty happy so far...........
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 16-Oct-2009, 09:52 AM (619)

Road attacks on dirt / gravel roads?

Has anybody ridden on Road Attacks on gravel / dirt roads? Were they OK?
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 21-Oct-2009, 08:33 PM (065)

Continental Road Attacks

Im looking into buying a new rear tire mine is almost gone and I found this Continental Road Attack Tire for 119.99, so I wondering if any of you guys had any input on this tire and I was thinking about going with the 170/60/17 I know the 650 comes stock with the 160/60/17 but I have read that the 170 would fit. There is only a 3 difference in the 160 and 170 and I would like to have a bigger tire so what do you guys think?
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 22-Oct-2009, 09:12 AM (591)
GS (and DR)

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Opivy View Post
Im looking into buying a new rear tire mine is almost gone and I found this Continental Road Attack Tire for 119.99, so I wondering if any of you guys had any input on this tire and I was thinking about going with the 170/60/17 I know the 650 comes stock with the 160/60/17 but I have read that the 170 would fit. There is only a 3 difference in the 160 and 170 and I would like to have a bigger tire so what do you guys think?

The R12GS stock rear is 150/70. Given that this is a R12GS board, comments about what tire comes stock on a 650 are somewhat confusing.

I think the rear rim of the GS is a 4.25. The standard size tire for a 4.25 is 150 wide with a 60 or 70 aspect ratio. A 170/70 is made for a 5.0 or 5.50 rim. It can fit on a 4.25 rim, but you'll have to check if the rim with mounted tire will still fit on the bike. It might not.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 22-Oct-2009, 09:51 AM (619)
MJZ

I recently switched back on my 09 GSA from the road attacks to the OEM knobbies because I was starting to do a little more off road. Here is my question, with the road attacks on I can easily keep up with my sportbike friends on our twistie rides but I not comfortable on the knobbies, mainly because I have no expeirence on them.
So I was thinking of buying a second set of wheels to just switch as needed because it is one heck of a lot easier to change wheels than tires for me. What do you think and what do you think it should cost? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode