Shinko 705 review - Page 2 - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 29-Sep-2016, 11:41 AM (695)
GS (and DR)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppyGreg View Post
I doubt th Shinkos will go anywhere near the distance the K60s will. Mine are squaring off and I get the feeling 5-6000km will see them out.
No, I suspect the Shinkos will not last as long as the Heidenaus. However, the Scout starts squarish and gets worse, soon. Sure, it lasts forever. But the road ride sucks big time for most of its life. The one time I tried them I removed the rear at something like 6K miles. Plenty of rubber left. Didn't care. The front wasn't as bad. I didn't like it, but I didn't like it enough to remove as long as there was rubber left.

I've had the 705 on the front of my '13 for about 3 months. The rear was installed a couple of weeks ago. So far all is OK.
PoppyGreg likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 21-Oct-2016, 04:59 PM (916) Thread Starter

Garage
Another update

This time added another 1500km or so including some more dirt (roads).
I deliberately planned more dirt this time, as I'm convinced of the Shinkos abilities on bitumen. Using Tenterfield as a starting point again, I went looking for more local rural roads with a view to getting to Urbenville and Bonalbo (NSW border towns, where fuel choices consist of diesel or petrol).
Took Mt Lindesay Rd and soon found the conditions I was looking for. Unsealed granite with patches of 1" pebble, potholes corrugated a and clay mud shoulders.
Dropped pressure down to abt 27F 30R (psi), set ESA to enduro and generally handled the situation well, although the pebble is really a wildcard. Still a pretty good "feel" of the surface translated through the bike, and after a few k's able to relax and enjoy the ride and the scenery.
UNTIL I got to the grader. Guys were doing earthworks and grading in prep for sealing, grader had done his first full width of passes and we had about 6-10" of fine soft clay. Nowhere to go but through.
Very quickly I realised I had very little influence over where tf I was going, except to stay in the Komatsu wheel tracks. Slow and steady kept me upright I'm pleased to say, but it's more credit to the bikes geometry than my ability. I think this was where the bike's weight came into its own, and helps the tyre work by pushing it into the surface.
Which brings me to an observation that many of you already know, but comes under the heading of "until you experience it yourself" - these tyres are not suitable for much more than reasonably accessible and reasonably maintained surfaces. While the tread pattern is blocky enough for a short venture off the highway - and in fairness, that's mostly what I do - it's just out of its depth in any serious or heavy going. And I've gotta say that's never what it was designed for.
I have to point out here, that the shortcomings above really pertain to the rear tyre - not at any stage have I felt the front anywhere close to letting go. Anywhere. Amazed at this tyre.
Not making this a conclusion yet, but I'm certainly seeing a classification of the "big heavy" adv bikes like my 12GS as a sub group - because they are. We have to understand that what we're riding isn't a lightweight 650 we can chuck around and punt through anything. Guys n girls, we're riding a fkn tank so we've got to think out our setups a bit more carefully.
All the time I was in the graders wake, I was thinking " this weight would make a knobby work like a dream".
So I'm starting to think along the lines of maybe a second set of tyres. Spare wheel sets I can't justify. But if I've planned another ride like that, and I can slip on a more appropriate set of boots, that just might be the difference between a fantastic adventure ride or a gruelling punishment.
Cheers
Greg
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 22-Oct-2016, 06:29 AM (478)

Garage
Following your thread with interest. Thanks for posting up.
PoppyGreg likes this.

RSmith

15 K1600 GTL (gone)
16 R1200 GS/Adv
17 HD Ultra CVO
18 K1600 GTL

post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-Apr-2017, 09:30 PM (104) Thread Starter

Garage
Decision made

its time for new boots.
So here we are, just shy of 10 000km - yep you read it right - and Im swapping over the 705s for a pair of 804(front)/and 805 (rear) Shinkos. The pic says it all, but I could have easily left the front on - it has at least another 10k on it, I'm sure. The rear - well the rose-coloured glasses are off, and its cactus, and as you can see, not nearly used to its potential.
Ive been anal with pressures throughout;
Front - Road - 36psi single, 38psi 2up/with gear
Dirt - 30psi - secondary roads unsealed but no serious sand, mud or enduro
Rear - Road - 42psi single, 44psi 2up/with gear
Dirt - as for front
Ive found these tyres to be great value. On tsealed roads they stick like shit to a blanket. On dirt, theyll do nicely, but dont expect to do the himalayas on them.
Would I buy another set? Hell yes, without hesitation.
Insert disclaimer here: please don't take my opinions as gospel, especially pressures and dirtability. Im no Toby Price or Simon Pavey.
cheers
Greg
Attached Images

CEYLON likes this.

Last edited by PoppyGreg; 09-Apr-2017 at 09:32 PM (106).
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 15-Jul-2017, 03:50 AM (368)

PoppyGreg. Feck, did you mono the bike everywhere, all the time. That front tyre has another 20,000km left in it if it's done 10,000km already. Impressive. I was thinking these tyres with this tread pattern might be OK for a ride from Adelaide to Alice Springs & return taking as much unsealed road as possible as they would be better than the Anakee 3's i just went thru in 8000km. Seems the front Shinko is the business, maybe more than the rear. Trouble with the Shinko's is, the cost is not much less than Tourance's or Anakee's. Compared to Shinko prices (value for money) in other parts of the world, it once again seems we are being screwed by a tyre distributor in Australia.

I am not too fussed about the back end of the bike getting a bit loose but want the front (especially on the 1200 hippo) to stay where it is pointed so maybe a Shinko front (great km's too) and some other rear tyre might be a good combo.

cheers
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 15-Jul-2017, 09:07 PM (088) Thread Starter

Garage
Mate the only reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_rider View Post
PoppyGreg. Feck, did you mono the bike everywhere, all the time. That front tyre has another 20,000km left in it if it's done 10,000km already. Impressive. I was thinking these tyres with this tread pattern might be OK for a ride from Adelaide to Alice Springs & return taking as much unsealed road as possible as they would be better than the Anakee 3's i just went thru in 8000km. Seems the front Shinko is the business, maybe more than the rear. Trouble with the Shinko's is, the cost is not much less than Tourance's or Anakee's. Compared to Shinko prices (value for money) in other parts of the world, it once again seems we are being screwed by a tyre distributor in Australia.

I am not too fussed about the back end of the bike getting a bit loose but want the front (especially on the 1200 hippo) to stay where it is pointed so maybe a Shinko front (great km's too) and some other rear tyre might be a good combo.

cheers
I changed the front was to fit the (shinko) 804/805 pair as I'm planning on venturing off-road more.its still in my shed and may go back on at some point providing it hasn't gone off. That 705 is as solid as, and I won't hesitate to buy them again. Every bit as good as Tourance IMHO. At the time of purchase they were significantly cheaper ($100+).
I guess like anything, once word gets around, the price sneaks up.
Cheers
Greg.
PS I can't mono...lol
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 16-Jul-2017, 05:41 PM (945)

Garage
804/805 tire sizes for gs/lc

Do the Shinko 804/805 come in sizes that fit the lc rims?

I haven't seen the required sizes listed on their website. I would think that they will be available eventually, due to the popularity of the bike
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-Sep-2017, 07:23 PM (016)

Garage
Here is a Shinko 705 with over 10k on it.
Attached Images

PoppyGreg likes this.

Built Not Bought

Last edited by GFab70; 05-Sep-2017 at 08:11 PM (049).
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-Sep-2017, 10:20 PM (139)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFab70 View Post
Here is a Shinko 705 with over 10k on it.
Looks like my rear 705 at 4K miles and that's a record. But my front 705 is still going strong with 10 K mile and I don't wheelie
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-Sep-2017, 01:41 PM (778)

705 still in LC sizes??

I had the Shinko 705 page bookmarked for future reference when I needed replacements, but my last attempt to go there gave a website error. It seems the 170/60-17 and the 150/70-17 rears are gone from the website. The 120/70-19 and 110/80-19 fronts are still listed. I found some rears in stock at Rocky Mountain, Jake Wilson, etc, but they're missing from the website

Discontinued?? New model coming??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode