Shinko 705 review - Page 3 - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-Sep-2017, 05:52 PM (953)

I might try these tires does anyone know why those sizes are not showing up????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-Sep-2017, 07:04 PM (003)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawabama View Post
I had the Shinko 705 page bookmarked for future reference when I needed replacements, but my last attempt to go there gave a website error. It seems the 170/60-17 and the 150/70-17 rears are gone from the website. The 120/70-19 and 110/80-19 fronts are still listed. I found some rears in stock at Rocky Mountain, Jake Wilson, etc, but they're missing from the website

Discontinued?? New model coming??
Revezilla
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 15-Sep-2017, 08:22 AM (556)

Garage
Hello!
So...the front tire that match the original tire size (120/19) might tricky to find, I got one on EBAY and it was the last available on that page. The rear (170/17) is easier to find (ebay, revzilla, cyclegear etc..)
I noticed some of you installed 110 front and 150 rear (much easier to find on the web) How does the bike react to the different tire size?? what year is your bikes??

post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 15-Oct-2017, 02:17 PM (803)

Garage
A IIIs to E-705s

On my 16 GS I replaced the OEM A IIIs w/ Shinko E-705s at a tick under 7000 miles. Really liked the Michelins on the street, but they are about useless off road. Initial feel of the 705s VERY DIFFERENT. Got used to them after about 100 miles. Pushed them pretty hard on a familiar twisty two lane after about 150 miles and they felt good. The Shinkos take very little counter steering input to initiate the turn - much less than the used Michelins. Ran bike in rain mode to make ASC as sensitive as possible since I have never run more off road oriented tires on the street. ASC engaged once while powering out of a left handed corner, but I did not feel the rear tire slipping so the electronics did their job. Granted I was on it pretty hard. Pressures were 34 and 38 riding solo. Happy with the new shoes so far although I look forward to riding with them off-road!
Attached Images

PoppyGreg and Outbacker like this.
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-Feb-2018, 09:49 PM (159)

any updates on the Shinko 705's on your 2016?
post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-Feb-2018, 09:58 PM (165)

Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by montanaman View Post
any updates on the Shinko 705's on your 2016?
The bikes are the same except new electronics.
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-Mar-2018, 01:34 PM (815)

Garage
Shinko E-705 Update

Got about 2600 miles on the 705s now. Really like them in the twisties and for the little off-roading I do. I air them down to about 27 PSI for off road and they are much better than the A3s I replaced. Certainly not as good off road as a 50-50 knobby tire, but the 80-20 subjective rating on the 705s seems about right. The rear seems to be wearing pretty fast. Have not measured tread depth but its at least 1/2 gone. Front like new. Did a lot of triple digit speeds on rough pavement in Baja and the wear on the rear was noticeable after that 900 mile trip. I push them hard on the street and they have not slipped since the break-in slip noted in my last post on this topic. I am planning to buy them again and this next time I will only need a rear tire.
Attached Images

PoppyGreg likes this.
post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-Mar-2018, 03:15 PM (885)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalGuy View Post
Got about 2600 miles on the 705s now. Really like them in the twisties and for the little off-roading I do. I air them down to about 27 PSI for off road and they are much better than the A3s I replaced. Certainly not as good off road as a 50-50 knobby tire, but the 80-20 subjective rating on the 705s seems about right. The rear seems to be wearing pretty fast. Have not measured tread depth but its at least 1/2 gone. Front like new. Did a lot of triple digit speeds on rough pavement in Baja and the wear on the rear was noticeable after that 900 mile trip. I push them hard on the street and they have not slipped since the break-in slip noted in my last post on this topic. I am planning to buy them again and this next time I will only need a rear tire.
Hit me up we can go on a ride some time. I live in Murrieta and ride all over what seems to be some of the places you ride. I'll have to take a look at these tires sounds promising.
post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-Sep-2018, 12:51 PM (744)

What I read a lot about bikes and tires is that everyone wants knobbies on the dirt and track prefomance on the road and everyone rides differently I’m in the final steps to owning my first gsa and quite excited to here that the 705 handle the heavy bike well not great but well I have them on my klr and love them drive all kinds of road up here in New Hampshire BUT I know the klr isn’t a good dirt bike nor is it a good street bike kinda like the gsa probably catch crap for saying that but it make sense to me that a big adventure bike isn’t a dirt bike or a street bike but a great dirt road bike to go further and a lot more comfortable ride than a lot of other bikes combined with that said I will probably put the 705 on my 09 gsa and ride with in the limited of myself the bike and tires and hopefully be happy with my new adventures the bike takes me on. Oh I’m just a average guy that found a great deal and scrapped everything to get this bike hope it meets up to the hype
post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-Sep-2018, 07:07 PM (005)

Garage
So I took the Shinkos to Ladakh, India!
Ladakh is hostile territory.....tarmac snow rain mud sand slush and rock and raging water crossings!!
I must say the Shinkos performed extremely well. But because of the terrain after about 3000kms my rear is down 50% but the front is still 90%
Was lucky not to get even one flat!
I would buy a pair again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode