Anakee III Tire Life and Wear Patterns - Page 2 - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 64 (permalink) Old 13-Oct-2016, 10:18 AM (637)

8,000 miles+ on the OEM Anakee III tires and will still pass state inspection

Last edited by Clay; 13-Oct-2016 at 10:30 AM (646).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 64 (permalink) Old 15-Oct-2016, 06:17 AM (470)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay View Post
8,000 miles+ on the OEM Anakee III tires and will still pass state inspection
Ditto. Smooth tires, great wear pattern, no cupping, The front could probably go another few thousand. Just bought some wilds though, so that will have to wait
post #13 of 64 (permalink) Old 15-Oct-2016, 09:02 AM (584) Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowriding View Post
Interesting you are wearing out the front before the rear, typical would be 2 rears replaced for each front tire. Of course there could be a couple of things causing this, your riding backwards, you do a lot of stoppies or you need more pressure in the front tire. Just my 2 pence.
My previous reply is in error. Looks like my assumption that tire wear is the same for all bikes is dead wrong. I started to measure tread depth as my yardstick for wear and noticed my new Anakee III's are not wearing faster on the front. So I looked at my mileage data for previous bikes. Two FJR's and a Concours all showed faster wear on the fronts. So did two Triumph Sprints and a Tiger 1050. Two sets of Anakee II's on my 2011GS were like multiple GS riders have experienced with fronts lasting longer than rears. No where near 2 to 1, but more like 7K rear, 8.5K front. Then again, I never came close to cracking 6K front or rear on any other bike except the GS with Anakee's.

post #14 of 64 (permalink) Old 15-Oct-2016, 04:07 PM (879)
The ride of Life

Garage
For me it's not the tread.

For me it's not the tread that determines when I change a tire out, it's the profile of the tire. When the tire gets a flat profile the handling (at least to me) seems to get more "divey" and less delightful. (Is Divey even a word?) It really depends on you and what you do with your bike, how and where you ride. When I was riding to work (before management told me I couldn't anymore) it was all freeway riding followed by some city streets paddling I would run the tires down to the wear bars, handling was not important at all, besides that bike really didn't handle even with fresh tires. On my RT and GS handling IS important, so I often change before it's really necessary. Besides the shop where I get the tires changed resells used tires to the "poverty rider" crowd.

- John
Whiterose and Crucian like this.
post #15 of 64 (permalink) Old 15-Oct-2016, 04:44 PM (905)

OldButND, There are so many variables for tire wear it is something of a black art to sort out what causes certain types of wear patterns and how quickly tires will wear. A word of warning from my experience on my K1600GT with the PR 4, at near max lean angle the tires tend to slip. This has been reported across a variety of brands of bikes so if you ride like a hooligan like me, stay alert for the feeling of the bike sliding out from under you. And please report on how you like the PR4.
Dr. Strangelove likes this.

'13 BMW K1600GT
'08 Suzuki DR650
post #16 of 64 (permalink) Old 16-Oct-2016, 03:51 AM (369)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowriding View Post
OldButND, There are so many variables for tire wear it is something of a black art to sort out what causes certain types of wear patterns and how quickly tires will wear. A word of warning from my experience on my K1600GT with the PR 4, at near max lean angle the tires tend to slip. This has been reported across a variety of brands of bikes so if you ride like a hooligan like me, stay alert for the feeling of the bike sliding out from under you. And please report on how you like the PR4.
then count me out on the PR4, the tar snakes are bad enough around here! I'm pleased with my III s with the rain grip and the wear pattern. I try as much as possible to do twistys (40%) to keep that rounded shape!
post #17 of 64 (permalink) Old 16-Oct-2016, 06:34 AM (482) Thread Starter

Garage
PR4's

I have posted threads on similar topics and read a bunch on using street tires on a GS. I'm trying the PR4's as soon as my Anakee III's die and after them I am going to try Scorpion Trails and Continental Attacks after that. That should keep me busy for a while. When I see the comments on PR4's I normally see Trails on the front because that's all that is available. Then the GT on the rear mostly and Trail rarely. I would choose the GT on my FJR until proven otherwise. When I looked at the Michelin website, I see a significant difference in the rears among standard, GT and Trail. I'm going with the Trail. Why? Maybe, and that is a big "just maybe", the Michelin guys know more about this than I do. As far as slipping at the ragged edge, despite the TYT logic, I'm a 90% guy. I trust my tires only to the 90% point and will always leave room for the unexpected.
slowriding likes this.
post #18 of 64 (permalink) Old 17-Oct-2016, 09:20 AM (597)

I'm new to this Forum and not certain yet how the different Threads link? I made this following Post on another Thread but when I read this one, I thought it would be appropriate to copy it here. I'm in the market for new tires for my 2009 GSA and really appreciated this Thread. I thought I'd share some of my own experiences as it may help a few of the folks that are considering the Tourance, PR4 Trail &/or PR4GT. I've had two sets of Metzler Tourance on my GSA; the first set went 11,500 miles and the second set went 12,500 miles. I then switched to the PR4 Trails which now have 10,000 miles on them and they're done. The Tourance were great tires all around, but the PR4's were definitely quieter and better on pavement, both wet and dry. That said, I got 20% less life out of them. I should clarify that the majority of my riding is pavement, long distance and loaded with about 460 lbs between humans and gear. And we don't get passed very often. I found both tire brands worked the exact same on gravel and hard-pack; I don't mess with mud much on this bike. I was not able to find a PR4 GT for my GSA but did put the PR4 GT's on my K1200S. These tires handle really well on that bike as well but I'm not going to get any more miles on them than I did the PR4 Trails. Different bike but suspiciously similar tires in every way!! The other thing to note is that I always change my tires as a pair even though the front tire has atleast another 5,000 miles, if not 8,000 miles, left on it. For the price, it just doesn't make sense to me not to change them both at the same time. And with all of my tires, I'm careful the last 2,000 miles because they're definitely showing a significant flat spot. But I've never run them down to the wear bars. Lastly, I always follow Manufacturer recommended Tire Pressures; 32 Front & 36 Rear Empty and 36 Front 42 Rear Loaded; and I watch this like a hawk. Hope this helps. And now that you know how I'm riding, let me know if you have any other suggestions. I'm due for tires NOW!! I'm considering the Perelli Scorpion Trail II? I'm intrigued by the Continental Conti Trail Attack 2 and the Bridgestone Battle Wings but have never had good luck with these Brands on vehciles? Metzler has the Roadtec 01 that looks interesting, in fact, a lot like the Michilen Pilot Road 4 Trails? All that said, even though the PR4's are more money and lower mileage tires in my experience, I've certainly been the most impressed with the ride they provide me. And given I'm a big fan of "Siped" tires, I'm leaning towards staying with the PR4 Trails. Again, any thoughts on these other tires would be appreciated.
post #19 of 64 (permalink) Old 17-Oct-2016, 11:32 AM (689)

I am on my 2nd set of Anakee III tires. the 1st set got 10.000+ miles (rear was showing chord). I now have 6,000 miles on the 2nd set. they are noisy especially when new. they seem to grip well in the rain and the wear pattern (30% twistys) is relatively "rounded". I have been reading this thread with interest as I will be changing tires out within 60 days or sooner. I found the following article related to these tires and others. I am specifically interested in the scorpion trail II based on what I have heard in the last couple of months and the posts herein. follow the link below and the tests were carried out by "Motorad" in late 2015. hope this helps.

Pirelli
post #20 of 64 (permalink) Old 17-Oct-2016, 05:13 PM (926)

Location: Livin' in a Poor Man's Shangri, La. aka New Orleans
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMKRaven View Post
And given I'm a big fan of "Siped" tires, I'm leaning towards staying with the PR4 Trails. Again, any thoughts on these other tires would be appreciated.
heyRMKR

Look at the Pirelli angel GTs and the Scorpion Trails.
I've liked them both and FAR more than the PR4s, wet or dry. I like the Anakees (3) but they are noisy and with this change just wanted to try something new--now with P Scor Trl 2 on rear.
My prev exp with the angel GTs and the scorpion trail 1s were on an 09 r1200r. one set of the scorpions and 2 or 3 of the angel GTs. The scorpion trails were the only tire to not slip on tar snakes-ever, and second to those were the angel gts. Then I think the Anakees were next best. But I def like the A3s more than the PR4s, wet or dry. If you're satisfied with the road profile of the PR4, I'd rec the Angel Gts, and if you want to get something a little more for non-paved, the Scorpions.

Since you like siped, I suspect you ride in the wet? (where are you, btw?). I took the Angel Gts through floods in west texas and they never missed a beat. they were great.
just my 2cents

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode