Anakee III Tire Life and Wear Patterns - Page 5 - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 64 (permalink) Old 04-Oct-2017, 10:23 AM (641)
Naviator

Garage
You are getting a ton of miles out of your A3's.
The front A3's on my 2013 wear about the same, it is a weird wear pattern for sure but doesn't appear to effect the performance adversely so I keep buying them for when I don't need a set of knobs.

2013 R1200GSW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 64 (permalink) Old 04-Oct-2017, 05:06 PM (921)
The ride of Life

Garage
At 7400 miles I replaced (am replacing?) They are being installed on the rims as I type this. The tires still had enough tread, it's just the profile had flattened out it was hurting the cornering performance.

And the fact I drive by a construction project every day and got nails in both tires sort of pushed my hand...I will now detour abound that.

- Bumblebee.

The Ride of Life.
post #43 of 64 (permalink) Old 04-Oct-2017, 10:50 PM (160)

I will post pictures tomorrow but I go up and down the I-15 daily my round trip commute is about 110 miles every day. I think i have somewhere around 8500 miles on mine and they are good to go!
Attached Images

Last edited by Mr. Adventure; 05-Oct-2017 at 09:32 AM (605).

post #44 of 64 (permalink) Old 03-Aug-2018, 06:38 AM (485)

Garage
I got my 2017 r1200gs new in June. At the 600ml service I asked told the dealer that a bearing or something was bad as at certain speeds there was a terrible howl. they said that there was nothing wrong and it was the Anakee 111's. They let me ride a demo with the same tires and sure enough it was the same. I've done 2,400mls and i'm getting used to it. Love the bike. I had a F700gs with Anakee 111 and had some to negligible tire noise.
post #45 of 64 (permalink) Old 03-Aug-2018, 09:18 AM (596)
Senile Member on 2006 GS

Garage
Since somebody bumped this thread, the final report on my Anakee IIIs: Took the front one off at 11.6K miles. At that time it still looked like it had about 1K left before it hit the wear bars, but it had worn in an odd trapezoidal cross-section that made it sometimes surprise me in corners. And I wanted to see if my K60 Scouts would work better on gravel--I had just returned from a ride around Iowa on gravel "scenic roads," and the front end skated around like crazy.

The rear Anakee went 13.6K miles and still had about 1mm before the wear bars when I replaced it. Also, it still hadn't squared off in the middle. Don't know if it's a dual-compound tire or if they use some kind of variable temperature curing process, but I was quite happy with its wear.

The noise was horrible, of course, I think because front and rear whine at slightly different frequencies and this produces that "wah-wah" sound. And I can't really see the point of the A3--on pavement, it was a decent enough street tire (except for the noise), and on dirt or gravel it seemed to also be a decent enough street tire (that is, I can't say it was any better on dirt than a pure-street tire would be).

One other interesting thing about the Anakees: they seemed to prevent rain. Not once during the time I had them on the GS was I caught in rain. Not that we didn't have rain, it just never rained on the GS. Magic?

FWIW, I ran Heidenau K60 Scouts through the summer, mostly on pavement. On gravel and dirt roads (not that I did anything particularly challenging on them) they seemed pretty good, definitely a lot better than the A3s. But above 70mph they just shrieked, the back was square from the factory and just got squarer, and the front wore in a sawtooth pattern (the part of the tread block that was leading edge under braking wore about twice as fast as the other side of the block). I think they might have had about 8-10K on them when I replaced them with Continental TKC 70s for the upcoming trip to Moab, Bryce, etc.
post #46 of 64 (permalink) Old 03-Aug-2018, 02:40 PM (820)

Scratching my head my head HOW some of you get the mileage you get out of the Anakee 3 rear????
I've been lucky to get 7,000 to 7,500 miles out of my rears.

The tires perform very well on the road and the noise doesn't bother me (wearing earplugs) but the rear seems to square off after only a few thousand miles. Then it feels like I'm riding on a square tire when riding twisty roads.

I spoke with the Michelin reps at the MOA rally in Des Moines an voiced my displeasure with the early squaring off. I told them if the they used the PR5 compound on the Anakee 3's, they'd have a winner.

The rep told me that a new Anakee would be coming out shortly.

I'm currently running the Avon Trailriders and have around 3,000 mile on them. I'm liking them and they handle very well in wet weather.
I haven't had a chance to try them on dirt yet.

Last edited by Purm1200GS; 28-Oct-2018 at 06:17 AM (470).
post #47 of 64 (permalink) Old 04-Oct-2018, 08:09 AM (548)

I've an 18 GSA Rally and the most I get from a rear Anakee 3 is 5000kms. Can someone recommend a better tyre.
post #48 of 64 (permalink) Old 04-Oct-2018, 08:47 AM (574)
Super Awesom Person

While you can get recommendations remember everyone gets different results from their tires. The only way your going to find a tire that works for you is to try them all one at a time. Sorry. I hear good things about the Dunlop RoadTrail tires. FYI...I only got 5500 miles from the stock Anakee 3 tires.

Rick
2018 R1200GS

Last edited by Rick92040; 04-Oct-2018 at 09:07 AM (588).
post #49 of 64 (permalink) Old 14-Oct-2018, 12:30 PM (729)

Garage
Im at 11,600 miles on a set of Anakee III's. The rear is definitely squared off and nearly to the wear bars. I would have replaced the rear miles ago but I wanted to see how far I could stretch them. I could probably get another 2 or 3k out of the front. I'm going to give a pair of Shinko's a shot next.

2017 GSA Triple Black with all the fixins
2008 Yamaha R6 - retired
2008 Suzuki Boulevard - retired
post #50 of 64 (permalink) Old 14-Oct-2018, 05:38 PM (943)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldButNotDead View Post
Thanks for any insight you can provide.
I replaced my Anakee IIIs at ~20,000kms (~12,500 miles), almost entirely pavement with a mix of commuting, joy riding, and distance touring. They could have gone further... I was really close to the wear bars but still had some room left. Only replaced them when I did b/c I was about to head off on a ~6,000km (~3,700mile) trip. Being a Metzeler fan, I replaced the Anakees with Roadtec 01s. Might be my imagination but the Roadtecs are an order of magnitude smoother than the Anakees at freeway speeds, IMO.

Had to be me. Someone else might have gotten it wrong.

Last edited by fdbm17; 14-Oct-2018 at 05:42 PM (946).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode