Can you go up one size in the front and back? - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-Oct-2010, 05:14 PM (926) Thread Starter

Question Can you go up one size in the front and back?

I know the stock tires are 110/80 19 front and 150/70 17 rear, but can you throw on a 120/70ZR19 and 160/70VB17 and get away with it? I like the way wider tires feel and look (I know, squidly). Sorry if it's been asked already.

--Greg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-May-2011, 10:28 PM (144)
Not that senior.

Send a message via MSN to gdayjr Send a message via Yahoo to gdayjr Send a message via Skype™ to gdayjr
Upsizing tyres

Why the need to change sizes?. Engineers take a lot of things into account when deciding on a specific size tyre for a bike, or car for that matter.

Rim size. contact patch, and the downforce applied to that contact patch, are just a few, so why second guess an engineer that has years of experience, and put another size on?.

Change brands, yes, experiment with tyre presure's. sure, but change size...why?
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-May-2011, 09:54 AM (621)
GS (and DR)

I don't have a link handy, but there are lists available that will tell you what size tire will safely fit on a rim of a given size. However, while a different tire size may safely fit the rim, you still may have clearance issues with things like front forks and rear swing arms. Unless you can get the tires for free for testing it may be an expensive, failed experiment.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 19-May-2011, 10:49 AM (659)

I really wouldn't suggest it. A good way to screw up the handling. Tires are sized for corresponding rim width. Deviate from that and the contact patch is not working as it was designed to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode