R1200GS Forum banner

Radial or Bias Ply Tires for R1200 GSW

11K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  bigjohnsd 
#1 ·
I have a 2014 1200 GSW and have been running Michelin Anakee 3's.
The Anakee 3's have been a GREAT road tire but I've not been impressed with them once off the tarmac.
I'm interested the new Mitas E-07+ tires. These tires are bias ply.

When I inquired about these tires for my wethead (from one large online seller), they discouraged me from running bias tires as they say the bike was engineered for a radial tire, and my handling characteristics would be greatly altered.

I inquired with another large online seller, the told me the feedback they have that a bias ply tire would be perfectly fine on my wethead. They did mention that because of the harder carcass, they would be more difficult to spoon on.

I am looking for feed back from riders who have run bias ply tires on their wethead, specifically the new Mitas E-70+ tires.
Also wondering if the lugs are so big that they would rub on my MAM Mudsling?

TIA

#3 ·
There is no such thing as a bike that is "engineered for radial tires", truth is that for large motorcycles radial tires make up 90% of the market and in some sizes there is no alternative.

In the mid-70's car manufacturers started making changes to suspensions to optimize them for the new radial tires that were new and becoming increasingly popular, they normally installed smaller sway bars with stiffer bushings and springs and slower valving in the shocks to compensate for the radial tires softer sidewall, this was all in the sake of handling and comfort.
This has almost zero relationship to the GS's of today, but you may notice a firmer ride with bias tires.

I don't think that you will have any difficulty with fit or rubbing the sectional (max tire) width is 7.3" and the overall diameter being 26" on the E-07+ so you can easily make your own measurements to be sure.
From what I have read it sounds like a great 50/50 tire.

#12 ·
Rumbles

I have several hundred highway miles on the E-07s now. Definitely noisy at low speeds, and I can feel the treds rumbling when I start out. Noise continues at higher speeds, but other noises increase, too, so less noticeable at freeway speeds. Seem notably less desirable than the Anakees on the street. I wear ear plugs and have a relatively quiet C3 Pro helmet so I am just noting the noise increase, not complaining about it. I have a several week trip planned for after April 17th (e.g., after tax--my riding buddy is an accountant) and I'll know more after that. Should ride about 3000 miles or more on the trip. I accept that the trade off for improved dirt performance is less desirable highway behavior, such as more noise and shorter tire life, and I'm OK with that, not wanting to get caught in the dirt again on a "street" tire like the Anakees. Those Shinko 705s look good to me, too, and are less costly.

Incidentally, the local BMW dealer did not carry the Mitas tires, offered me the Heidenou K60s. But I wanted to try the E-07's so I had someone else mount them for me. I tried to remove the tires myself, but was unable, even with a bunch of spoons.

#14 ·
Hey guys! giving a little bump on this thread... I wanted to ask you if mounting a bias-ply tire, because of its stronger structure, will these tires protect a little bit more the rim-wheel compared to radials when riding hard on rocks, bumps, poddles, etc?

#15 ·
Shinko 705 Rear Dual Sport Motorcycle Tire 170/60R-17 (72H)
Fits: 2014 BMW R1200GS Adventure

Size 170/60R-17
Tire Construction Radial
Load Rating 72 (783 lbs.)
Speed Rating H (130 mph)
Max PSI 42
Load Range B
Tread Plies 3 Nylon, 1 Aramid
Sidewall Plies 2 Nylon
Position Rear
Sidewall Blackwall
Weight 15.6 lbs.
Rim Size 17
Tube / Tubeless Tubeless
Directional Yes

#16 ·
Shinko E-805 Rear Dual Sport Motorcycle Tire 170/60R-17 (72H) Tube/Tubeless
Fits: 2014 BMW R1200GS Adventure
Tire Construction Radial
Load Rating 72 (783 lbs.)
Speed Rating H (130 mph)
Max PSI 41
Load Range B
Tread Plies 2 Nylon, 2 Aramid
Sidewall Plies 2 Nylon
Position Rear
Sidewall Blackwall
Weight 16.0 lbs.
Rim Size 17
Tube / Tubeless Tubeless
Directional Yes

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.