Radial or Bias Ply Tires for R1200 GSW - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 24-Mar-2018, 04:28 PM (894) Thread Starter

Radial or Bias Ply Tires for R1200 GSW

I have a 2014 1200 GSW and have been running Michelin Anakee 3's.
The Anakee 3's have been a GREAT road tire but I've not been impressed with them once off the tarmac.
I'm interested the new Mitas E-07+ tires. These tires are bias ply.

When I inquired about these tires for my wethead (from one large online seller), they discouraged me from running bias tires as they say the bike was engineered for a radial tire, and my handling characteristics would be greatly altered.

I inquired with another large online seller, the told me the feedback they have that a bias ply tire would be perfectly fine on my wethead. They did mention that because of the harder carcass, they would be more difficult to spoon on.

I am looking for feed back from riders who have run bias ply tires on their wethead, specifically the new Mitas E-70+ tires.
Also wondering if the lugs are so big that they would rub on my MAM Mudsling?

TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 24-Mar-2018, 07:01 PM (001)

How fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purm1200GS View Post
I have a 2014 1200 GSW and have been running Michelin Anakee 3's.
The Anakee 3's have been a GREAT road tire but I've not been impressed with them once off the tarmac.
I'm interested the new Mitas E-07+ tires. These tires are bias ply.

When I inquired about these tires for my wethead (from one large online seller), they discouraged me from running bias tires as they say the bike was engineered for a radial tire, and my handling characteristics would be greatly altered.

I inquired with another large online seller, the told me the feedback they have that a bias ply tire would be perfectly fine on my wethead. They did mention that because of the harder carcass, they would be more difficult to spoon on.

I am looking for feed back from riders who have run bias ply tires on their wethead, specifically the new Mitas E-70+ tires.
Also wondering if the lugs are so big that they would rub on my MAM Mudsling?

TIA
I run Shinko 705 Bias tires without any problem. If you're going 150 MPH, you need V rated tires. Bias tires are fine for sub 100 MPH!
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 25-Mar-2018, 06:39 AM (485)
Naviator

Garage
There is no such thing as a bike that is "engineered for radial tires", truth is that for large motorcycles radial tires make up 90% of the market and in some sizes there is no alternative.

In the mid-70's car manufacturers started making changes to suspensions to optimize them for the new radial tires that were new and becoming increasingly popular, they normally installed smaller sway bars with stiffer bushings and springs and slower valving in the shocks to compensate for the radial tires softer sidewall, this was all in the sake of handling and comfort.
This has almost zero relationship to the GS's of today, but you may notice a firmer ride with bias tires.

I don't think that you will have any difficulty with fit or rubbing the sectional (max tire) width is 7.3" and the overall diameter being 26" on the E-07+ so you can easily make your own measurements to be sure.
From what I have read it sounds like a great 50/50 tire.

2013 R1200GSW

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 25-Mar-2018, 09:20 AM (597)

I have a set of E-07's in the garage next to my '17 GSA, which I cannot at present ride. They are really good-looking tires and I hope to try them out in about 6 weeks. There is a multi-page thread over at adventure rider that should tell you about everything there is to know about the E-07 for the WC.Mitas E-07 PLUS | Adventure Rider
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 25-Mar-2018, 05:28 PM (936)

I Have been running the K60 Scouts with no problem but also have a new set of E-07 + to put on soon. Look forward to trying them out on the Alpine Loop in Colorado this June.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 26-Mar-2018, 07:51 AM (535)

E-07, as yet untried. Will report back.

I put some E-07s on, but only about 40 miles on them. I'll be taking a 200 mile trip next Saturday and will report back.
Attached Images

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 30-Mar-2018, 05:23 PM (932)

Send a message via AIM to Retiredandlovingit Send a message via MSN to Retiredandlovingit Send a message via Yahoo to Retiredandlovingit
Bias is okay

I ran both radial and now K60 scouts bias then going back to radials in a bit for a long 100% road trip. Found removing and mounting either is no issue
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-Apr-2018, 05:45 AM (448)

VATU How did those new E-07+ tires do on your Saturday ride?
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-Apr-2018, 10:00 AM (625)
GS (and DR)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwbob51 View Post
I run Shinko 705 Bias tires without any problem. If you're going 150 MPH, you need V rated tires. Bias tires are fine for sub 100 MPH!
Subject drift. You sure the 705s are bias ply? The rear I mounted Saturday was a radial, E-705 170/60R-17.

I, too, am curious about the E-07. I get 8K on the 705.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-Apr-2018, 05:17 AM (428)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc View Post
Subject drift. You sure the 705s are bias ply? The rear I mounted Saturday was a radial, E-705 170/60R-17.

I, too, am curious about the E-07. I get 8K on the 705.
From Revzilla:

Shinko 705 Dual Sport Tires
Designed for 80% street and 20% trail riding, the Shinko 705 has a versatile tread pattern for excellent wet and dry weather adhesion and smooth running on the highway.

Features:
Rubber compound resists tearing during off road use
4-ply construction
Front/Rear indicates that tire can go on either the front or rear on the bike
Tires are bias ply except where indicated
150/70R18 TL 70V is a radial tire
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in