Best remedy for punctures - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 19-Mar-2012, 02:27 PM (810) Thread Starter

Question Best remedy for punctures

Greetings all
Based in New Zealand, my mate and i are planning the big one: Prudhoe Bay in Alaska to Ushuaia in Tierra del Fuego beginning in June. We plan to ship our own bikes from NZ to Vancouver and head off from there.

One of the things we are discussing is how to reduce the chance of punctures and how best to repair them when we get them. We are both running TKC80s on the front, he has a Tourance on the rear and I have an Anakee. All tyres are in new condition and we will replace them before they get too worn as we travel.

I am carrying a plug set and an electric pump. We are debating
  • taking tubes
  • aerosol foam kits
  • bead breakers
  • tyre levers

I would be interested in what others on the forum might recommend.
Cheerz
Kennif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 19-Mar-2012, 04:17 PM (887)

The only plug I use is a real vulcanizing motorcycle tire plug. I got mine from SoundRider.com. Store bought plugs will eventually fail due to the fact they are not true vulcanizing in nature.

Good luck!

Peace is defined as that brief moment of tranquility while everyone reloads...anonymous....I think
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 19-Mar-2012, 08:28 PM (061)

GlobeRiders is a tour company with a lot of free info on there
Website. They are located in Seattle and I see they have
tour going along your projected Route. You might want to check
them out.

GlobeRiders® - Global Adventure Tours Info

Good Luck.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 19-Mar-2012, 10:37 PM (151)

Product called Rideon, sold by my local BMW dealer, have had it in my last two sets of tires. Many police agencies use it in their bikes with good success, flat tires are a pain
Good electric pump, manual pump, tire repair kits and a tube for sidewalk damage should get you their
Consider pre planning tire changes and have some positioned enroute, hate to need new tires and none be aviable
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-Apr-2012, 03:47 PM (866)
'09 R1200GS + '81 R80 G/S

Worm plug tire repairs are strictly a temporary repair until you can get to a tire shop to fix permanently with a mushroom plug from the inside. Tubes for sidewall damage is good,, providing that there are no intruding sharps.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-Apr-2012, 03:12 PM (842)
R1200gs

For an emergency repair that realy works.

Micro Kit + Cargol inflated
(Car, Motorcycle and Scooter)

This light, compact kit fits neatly in the included storage bag (approx. 4” x 9”). Includes chalk to mark the puncture, pliers to remove the object, CO2 adaptor valve, CO2 cartridges, spare valve caps, Cargols to repair the puncture with a simple twist of the wrist in under two minutes.
Ref K004 K004

I even carrie on in the car now.

If it gets to much GO FOR A RIDE
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 27-Apr-2012, 08:21 AM (556)

I noticed at the local BMW dealership that they install Ride-On in the tires of all the police RT's. I inquired about the product and then had it installed in the tires on my R12GS.

Tire Sealant | Puncture Repair | Flat Tire Repair | Tire Protection Systems for Motorcycle, Automotive, ATV and Heavy Equipment - Ride-On
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 27-Apr-2012, 10:06 AM (629)

Ride on

And if the ride-on does not fix the puncture, it will prevent a worm plug from sealing and then what??
The best solution for fixing a flat on the road without removing the tire is a vulcanizing plug, period.

Peace is defined as that brief moment of tranquility while everyone reloads...anonymous....I think
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 27-Apr-2012, 10:54 PM (162)

I recently saw a demo of how to fix a puncture in a tubeless tire using one of those sticky strings. The instructor had run over a screw intentionally -- for the demo. He happens to use Ride-On so, when he removed the screw, the Ride-On immediately filled the hole. You could easily see it happen.

He noted that but then used a raasp to auger the hole and then insert the sticky string. Worked fine.

I don't see that using Ride-On in any way prevents also repairing with more tradtional methods if you want to do so. It's just that you may not need to.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 28-Apr-2012, 08:35 AM (566)

Ride-On

I must admit that I am not familiar with Ride-On, however, Slime will definitely prevent the sticky plug from bonding with the rubber and will cause air to leak. In some instances, the plug shoots out altogether.

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode