mitas 07+ rear and 07 front? - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-Jun-2018, 06:21 PM (973) Thread Starter

mitas 07+ rear and 07 front?

Ak. in July. Will need tires in Fairbanks. Do I order these for the haul road trip N of FB or go with the Avon Trail riders for the long haul home on tar at highway speed?

I want a tire that's good in the rain, fair or better on dirt and will make 5K to home or better once installed.

Taking opinions based on actual experience with the two above tire choices. Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-Jun-2018, 05:47 AM (449)
Reprobate

Can't speak to the 07 front as I run a Heidenau up there, but this year I gave up on the K60 rear as that solid center strip that gave it such long life made for sucky traction in soft dirt, mud and heavy rain. The 07+ is much better in soft stuff and rain. It has no problem with light mud and clears the sticky clay we have here pretty well, but is definitely not good as a full knobby in the deep stuff.

On pavement it gives off a deep harmonic rumble about two octaves lower than the front Heidenau, but it's not annoying. Stiff sidewall, but not as difficult to mount as the Heidi. I only have 1k on it (mostly dirt) so no predictions on life.

Overall a very impressive tire!

Pete
Lowcruzr and brownie like this.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-Jun-2018, 07:56 AM (538) Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfiddich View Post
Can't speak to the 07 front as I run a Heidenau up there, but this year I gave up on the K60 rear as that solid center strip that gave it such long life made for sucky traction in soft dirt, mud and heavy rain. The 07+ is much better in soft stuff and rain. It has no problem with light mud and clears the sticky clay we have here pretty well, but is definitely not good as a full knobby in the deep stuff.

On pavement it gives off a deep harmonic rumble about two octaves lower than the front Heidenau, but it's not annoying. Stiff sidewall, but not as difficult to mount as the Heidi. I only have 1k on it (mostly dirt) so no predictions on life.

Overall a very impressive tire!

Pete
Thanks for the reply Pete,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-Jun-2018, 08:21 AM (556)

I just put on a set for E 07+ front and rear for a trip to Colorado to do the Alpine Loop. These replaced K60 and I find the front is quite at highway speed compared to the K60. I should have a better idea of tread life and overall performance by the end of June after a 3500 mile trip. So far I like them much better than the K60.
brownie likes this.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 30-Jul-2018, 11:41 AM (695)

Rear tire after 3400miles on and off road used it
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 30-Jul-2018, 12:59 PM (749)

I have almost 5000 miles on mine and the tread looks about the same.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 18-Aug-2018, 03:37 PM (859)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWitcher View Post
Rear tire after 3400miles on and off road used it
My rear Mitas E-07+ looks just like that I took it off today with 6,300 miles of 90% pavement. Actually mine was slightly more worn. Front was not far behind. Liked the tire and the handling. I replaced them with a set of Shinko 705's. For the price of the rear of most sets, I got both front and rear.

A thunderstorm this afternoon prevented me from trying them out today but definitely tomorrow.

Cliff
Lincoln County, NC, USA
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 18-Aug-2018, 07:31 PM (021) Thread Starter

Update, went with the Heidenau's K60 scouts front and rear. 8786 miles in 19 days fully loaded GS from 3 hours north of the Mexican border to the arctic circle and back.

Heidi's ran 9 days in the rain, 4 of those torrential all day. Not one sign of slipping on snakes or white lines, solid on dry or wet pavement, much of it upward of 85-90mph for hours at a time. Had maybe 2K left on the rear, 4-5 left on the front.

I replaced them with the Metzler Tourance Next's I took off to use the Heidi's when I got back. Bike is in for all new fluids changed, new rear rotor and brake pads as I warped it on the way home somehow. I'll have it back from my mechanic end of next week.

All in all, the Heidi's performed perfectly on the mud of the Haul Rd, dry and wet pavement. I'll use them again when I eat the Metzlers away.
Attached Images

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 19-Aug-2018, 04:09 PM (881)
Reprobate

Update on my Mitas E07+

Completely worn out after 4200 miles, with about 3000 of that at 65-70mph on US highways (not Interstates). The regular Mitas E07 lasted much longer.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 20-Aug-2018, 12:19 PM (721)

Getting 7000 miles on E-07 rear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfiddich View Post
Update on my Mitas E07+

Completely worn out after 4200 miles, with about 3000 of that at 65-70mph on US highways (not Interstates). The regular Mitas E07 lasted much longer.
My regular E-07's have 6000 miles now; looks like the rear will need replacing around 7000. Mostly roads, but 10 days ago I got real adventurous and went way off road (dropped bike 5 times) so very happy to have dirt-worthy tires.
Attached Images

LuiGee likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode