Anakee Adventure Tire ( new 2019 ) - Page 4 - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 49 (permalink) Old 31-May-2019, 01:16 PM (761)
66 years old and still 16

Tyres

I have 4k on my Anakee adventure tyres, I find them noisy and worse on cornering, most important to me is they stick to the road/soft stuff so no complaints.

Ged
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 49 (permalink) Old 20-Jun-2019, 11:49 AM (701)
bobz

Unhappy Anakee Adventure wear report

Just returned from Canada and Alaska on new Anakee adventure tires. Left Washington State on 5/22 to Prudhoe Bay and returned to Washington about 17 days later. Half was raining and part of that was slimy mud. At 5800 miles the rears were at the wear bars ( 2/32s from a new 9/32s ). The fronts were at 3.5/32s down from 5.32s new. For long travels this tire doesn't perform as desired. Rain on roads and slimy mud, you would think would have a lower coefficient of friction and thus give you longer wear, but I guess not. My Harley bagger with Dunlap's dual compound rubber tires gets me 18K miles on the rear with 3/32s remaining. I guess Dunlap's dual compound tires really perform like they advertise while Anakee's Adventure do not for me. While I don't expect the same mileage from GS as my Bagger, I did expect more the 6K miles, everything considered. Also very noisy! That's my report what's your. bobz
Rick92040, K7TNT and Also Ran like this.

Last edited by bobz; 20-Jun-2019 at 11:51 AM (702). Reason: Added " very noisy"
post #33 of 49 (permalink) Old 21-Jun-2019, 04:49 AM (409)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobz View Post
Just returned from Canada and Alaska on new Anakee adventure tires. Left Washington State on 5/22 to Prudhoe Bay and returned to Washington about 17 days later. Half was raining and part of that was slimy mud. At 5800 miles the rears were at the wear bars ( 2/32s from a new 9/32s ). The fronts were at 3.5/32s down from 5.32s new. For long travels this tire doesn't perform as desired. Rain on roads and slimy mud, you would think would have a lower coefficient of friction and thus give you longer wear, but I guess not. My Harley bagger with Dunlap's dual compound rubber tires gets me 18K miles on the rear with 3/32s remaining. I guess Dunlap's dual compound tires really perform like they advertise while Anakee's Adventure do not for me. While I don't expect the same mileage from GS as my Bagger, I did expect more the 6K miles, everything considered. Also very noisy! That's my report what's your. bobz
Thanks for that report bobz! Other than the mileages you got, how did they perform on dry and wet roads and when you were off the pavement?

Also very noisy - compared to what in your experience?

Current scooters:
'16 R1200GS Triple Black
'16 KTM Super Duke 1290R
'18 Yamaha WR250R

post #34 of 49 (permalink) Old 21-Jun-2019, 05:26 AM (434)

Quote:
It's one thing doing an oil change somewhere in Canada or Alaska, I don't want to look for tires too.
It's all good Bob, we have tires up here too.
Candubrain likes this.
post #35 of 49 (permalink) Old 21-Jun-2019, 05:39 AM (443)

Quote:
Just returned from Canada and Alaska on new Anakee adventure tires. For long travels this tire doesn't perform as desired. While I don't expect the same mileage from GS as my Bagger, I did expect more the 6K miles, everything considered. Also very noisy! That's my report what's your. bobz
Thanks for that info. I need a new rear tyre and was considering this one. Got a Shinko 705 on the front and that's probably what I'll throw on the back. Cheers
post #36 of 49 (permalink) Old 25-Jun-2019, 10:35 AM (649)
bobz

Tires in Alaska

Quote:
Originally Posted by Also Ran View Post
It's all good Bob, we have tires up here too.
Yes I know Alaska has tires but... After 4k miles of 50% rain and mud I walked into Fairbank's Harley/BMW and got the normal rude doing you a favor just to wait on you attitude. I walked in wet, muddied up and tired and asked what they stocked for a rear tire for a 2018 R1200GSA, the parts man asks in a rude way what size are you looking for? I replied " I'm a little road weary, could you look it up ". He replied " no we can't do that, we have no way to know what the stock tire size is on your 2018 BMW ". Being shocked and after a little polite back and forth ( at least on my part ) could you please just walk 8 ft over the new R1250GSA sitting on the other side of his counter and rear the tire size, he got off his butt and obliged. After that discussion just to find a tire size he states he has only one tire (80/20) to fit the most popular motorcycle seem on Alaskan roads. Yes they have tires in Alaska but at Fairbanks BMW you have to put up with their snobby attitude and poor selection. When I've traveled from one end of North America to the other on BMWs and Harleys I have noticed some of these dealers sure have a better than you attitude. On my Harley I've never needed tires on the road as I can get 18K+ miles on a dual compound back tire. Sorry for the downer but that's just my experience.
'
Rydefree likes this.
post #37 of 49 (permalink) Old 25-Jun-2019, 01:35 PM (774)

Quote:
Yes I know Alaska has tires but... Sorry for the downer but that's just my experience.
'
Actually I was talking about Canada havin' tires. Alaska's all yours hahahaha. No downers here. Other than your experience with the dealership. Glad you made it safe.
Rick92040 likes this.
post #38 of 49 (permalink) Old 26-Jun-2019, 04:52 AM (411)

Quote:
Yes I know Alaska has tires but... After 4k miles of 50% rain and mud I walked into Fairbank's Harley/BMW and got the normal rude doing you a favor just to wait on you attitude. I walked in wet, muddied up and tired and asked what they stocked for a rear tire for a 2018 R1200GSA, the parts man asks in a rude way what size are you looking for? I replied " I'm a little road weary, could you look it up ". He replied " no we can't do that, we have no way to know what the stock tire size is on your 2018 BMW ". Being shocked and after a little polite back and forth ( at least on my part ) could you please just walk 8 ft over the new R1250GSA sitting on the other side of his counter and rear the tire size, he got off his butt and obliged. After that discussion just to find a tire size he states he has only one tire (80/20) to fit the most popular motorcycle seem on Alaskan roads. Yes they have tires in Alaska but at Fairbanks BMW you have to put up with their snobby attitude and poor selection. When I've traveled from one end of North America to the other on BMWs and Harleys I have noticed some of these dealers sure have a better than you attitude. On my Harley I've never needed tires on the road as I can get 18K+ miles on a dual compound back tire. Sorry for the downer but that's just my experience.
'
I think I'd write a polite letter to the owner of that dealership. I think he'd be pretty horrified to hear of the customer service you received and maybe would make sure the next weary traveler that walks in with need would be treated better.

Does anyone know if the new bikes come with these tires or not? I've been really avoiding a test ride because I don't want any temptation to trade up out of my '16 GS that I have just like I want it. But I would like to personally ride a few miles on these tires to see for myself how noisy they are.

Current scooters:
'16 R1200GS Triple Black
'16 KTM Super Duke 1290R
'18 Yamaha WR250R
post #39 of 49 (permalink) Old 26-Jun-2019, 03:15 PM (843)
bobz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Also Ran View Post
Actually I was talking about Canada havin' tires. Alaska's all yours hahahaha. No downers here. Other than your experience with the dealership. Glad you made it safe.
For the record Canadian Dealers of any brand have alway had a very helpful and polite attitude. They love talking and helping Americans. I even noticed back in 2007 Whitehorse, Yukon, CA Honda/KTM dealer had tires for BMWs because, like they said "that's what comes through here looking for tires". It was just that I didn't need tires till I got to Alaska. Didn't mean any disrespect to our Canadian friends. Just some American BMW and Harley dealers have this " Their poop don't stink attitude "
Rydefree and Also Ran like this.
post #40 of 49 (permalink) Old 26-Jun-2019, 04:40 PM (903)

Awake Adventure

I got 11,000 km on AIIIs on my 2017 GS, then replaced them with Anake Adventure, and now have about 2,500 km on them.
I like them. There is a little whine at times, but not too bad, but they feel much better on the road.
I never felt as safe on the AIIIs compared to my previous bike, an 05 R1200GS, with Tourance Nexts. With Adventures the new bike feels good again - grippy and planted on the corners. I haven't done any gravel yet, so that will be interesting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode