Tunnel noise from front tire - Page 2 - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-Feb-2019, 07:40 AM (569)
Super Awesom Person

I agree with GrayBeard. The best thing I ever did was get rid of the foam plugs and have custom plugs made. Easy in and out and very comfortable.
dkgruv123 likes this.

Rick
2018 R1200GS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-Feb-2019, 08:23 AM (599)

Advice heeded, thanks guys. Will look thru the threads, and for custom ear plugs. Nonetheless still curious to know if the GS has gotten noisier over the years. My old 2004 had none of the tire echoing the 1250 HP has.
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 13-Feb-2019, 08:48 AM (617)

Thanks again guys for the advise. Bought three sets of ear plugs, the Cescendo Moto, the NoNoise, which appears to be the most recommended, and the regular squiggle foam type. The NN was better than the Crescendo but neither blocked out the scream from the front tire. The foam plug does a better job dulling the sound along with almost every sound but it still very audible and by far the most uncomfortable. I’ve only put 100kms on the clock since picking up the 1250 on Monday, commuting the 10ks each way to work, so I understand my concerns are premature (wimp comments anticipated), however the noise is so annoyingly loud that even after a short trip with the foamies my ears ring.

When I called the dealer, he said that the Bridgestone Battlax Adverture’s were a new design which could be the problem, and suggested I wait to the 1000k service mark. Hmm. Suffering through 900ks of ear throbbing noise is not my idea of fun so I’ll see if he’ll flip a tire to test.
Has anyone have any similar experiences with the Bridgestones?

Using an iPhone decibel app with iPhone attached to the handlebars gave a max reading of 96 dB at around 60kph which surprised me as it seemed way noiser. I suspect the wine from the tires is a different frequency that the iPhone cannot capture. The audio recording didn’t capture it either
I use an open face helmet and visor. With the visor down the sound is louder. My theory is the sound is amplified up the forks much like a megaphone and captured by my helmet. Maybe a dull faced helmet is quieter. Will try.

I am interested to know if anyway has measured the dB of the noise from the front tire.

Apologies for the long-winded post.
dkgruv123 likes this.

post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 13-Feb-2019, 11:54 AM (746)

At the recommendation of some on this forum, I bought a Michelin Pilot RT4 for the front of my 17' 1200GSA back in November and, not being able to ride for a time, just put it on a week ago. I now have about 200 miles on since the installation, over all types of paved surfaces, and at speeds up to 85 MPH. The road noise is all but gone. The Anakee III's would put up a horrible static-like noise, most especially on asphalt/slag surfaces, very common where I live, but this is missing on the new tire. These tires are not knobbies, but judging from the tread, the off-road ability should be as good as the A-III's.
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 13-Feb-2019, 10:21 PM (181)

Garage
So I changed back to the original Anakee 3 after my Shinkos wore out! They were lying around and had some life left.
But noisyyyyy as hell and bugs me to no end.
So besides Shinko 705 any good 80/20 tires?
Hows Karoo Street?
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 14-Feb-2019, 08:25 AM (601)
Super Awesom Person

Quote:
Originally Posted by virkdoc View Post
So I changed back to the original Anakee 3 after my Shinkos wore out! They were lying around and had some life left.
But noisyyyyy as hell and bugs me to no end.
So besides Shinko 705 any good 80/20 tires?
Hows Karoo Street?
Dunlop Trailsmart. https://ridermagazine.com/2017/04/27...-tires-review/
dkgruv123 likes this.

Rick
2018 R1200GS
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 14-Feb-2019, 10:26 AM (685)

I've had good luck with the PinLock ear plugs - they block the majority of noise but have a filter that lets in enough that you don't feel like you've got "dead ear syndrome". I wore them 7,700 miles last fall, for 18 days straight.
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 19-Feb-2019, 12:34 PM (773)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamathumper View Post
I've had good luck with the PinLock ear plugs - they block the majority of noise but have a filter that lets in enough that you don't feel like you've got "dead ear syndrome". I wore them 7,700 miles last fall, for 18 days straight.
The NoNoise uses the same filter approach and while it blocks a lot of the engine and ambient noise, unfortunately not the front end noise. But will definitely try the pin locks. Thanks for the suggest.
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 19-Feb-2019, 12:55 PM (788)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallanderGS View Post
My experience is very similar. Even the most street oriented tires (Michelin 4 GT) are very noisy between 50 and 70 kph. Its the bike not the tires.
Bruce
I’m starting to agree. Wading through online discussions, it seems the problem exists with a number of tire brands and types. Makes me question how much noise testing with tires BMW does before shodding a bike for sale. None I suspect. The 1250’s appear to be delivered with random tire selections. Mine the Battlax A41’s. A great tire no doubt but deafening on the GS.
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 20-Mar-2019, 12:28 PM (727)

I've found the Anakees truly horrible from day one on my bike, it's not just the front, I can hear the howl from the rear as well, between that and the extra engine noise the bike is much louder than my older oil head BMW. I always wear ear protection if I'm going any distance and don't hear the nose then, but if I just nip through the neighborhoods to a store or something the noise really detracts from the riding experience to the point I'd rather take one of my other bikes.

I'm certainly interested to hear any brands and types of tires that can reduce or eliminate that sound. When i got the bike new, I was excited to see I had the Michelins fitted of the options available that BMW fit, that changed swiftly after riding it. One thing I've often wondered is if the horrible "wroop, wroop" sound is audible to everyone you pass in the same way you hear those big mudder tires on pickups.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode