Tunnel noise from front tire - Page 3 - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 20-Mar-2019, 04:43 PM (905)

Fixed. Or really, really close to fixed.

Been lurking this thread, and now I'm ready to chime-in with my observations, and an idea of how to minimize (or even fix) this issue.

The problem as I see it, is that the road/tire noise is being funneled straight up to the rider, and IMO, the solution isn't to change the tires, rather it's to re-direct or block the sound. Stay with me.

My previous bike was a 2015 F800GSA; and after a few months of ownership, I shipped my forks to have them upgraded. When I re-installed them a few weeks later, I neglected to re-install a plate-sized plastic part that sits between the forks. Immediately upon riding, I experienced a very loud road noise that wasn't previously there. Once I realized my mistake, I reinstalled that part, and voila, that loud noise was back to it's normal low level.

That plate-sized plastic part, present on the F800GSA, is called a fork bridge cover (photo attached.) Now, before you run out and buy one, it doesn't fit the 1200--so save yourself the $33.12 + shipping. (btw, I have one for sale... brand new)

I've been experimenting with a few pieces of thick cardboard, which I laminated, and zip-tied between the forks. The laminated cardboard layers do a good job of dampening/blocking the noise, so I'm going to construct a more durable test model, from a few sheets of kydex.

I don't have photos of the cardboard mock-up, but you can see what it's mimicking, and how it could work on your bike.

Pic 1: the part itself
Pic 2: the part installed on the f800gsa, looking up, from the right underside front
Pic 3: looking down the tunnel to the road.

What do ya'll think? Any other ideas?

(OBVIOUSLY: make sure you test out the fit BEFORE you go riding; to make sure it doesn't interfere with turning, etc.)
Attached Images

DuraPater likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 24-Apr-2019, 12:59 PM (749)

Perfect application for a 3D printer to test out designs. I'd love a solution to quiet things down. Can't wait to wear out my stock tires and get to new ones!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode