Tunnel noise from front tire - Page 3 - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 20-Mar-2019, 04:43 PM (905)

Fixed. Or really, really close to fixed.

Been lurking this thread, and now I'm ready to chime-in with my observations, and an idea of how to minimize (or even fix) this issue.

The problem as I see it, is that the road/tire noise is being funneled straight up to the rider, and IMO, the solution isn't to change the tires, rather it's to re-direct or block the sound. Stay with me.

My previous bike was a 2015 F800GSA; and after a few months of ownership, I shipped my forks to have them upgraded. When I re-installed them a few weeks later, I neglected to re-install a plate-sized plastic part that sits between the forks. Immediately upon riding, I experienced a very loud road noise that wasn't previously there. Once I realized my mistake, I reinstalled that part, and voila, that loud noise was back to it's normal low level.

That plate-sized plastic part, present on the F800GSA, is called a fork bridge cover (photo attached.) Now, before you run out and buy one, it doesn't fit the 1200--so save yourself the $33.12 + shipping. (btw, I have one for sale... brand new)

I've been experimenting with a few pieces of thick cardboard, which I laminated, and zip-tied between the forks. The laminated cardboard layers do a good job of dampening/blocking the noise, so I'm going to construct a more durable test model, from a few sheets of kydex.

I don't have photos of the cardboard mock-up, but you can see what it's mimicking, and how it could work on your bike.

Pic 1: the part itself
Pic 2: the part installed on the f800gsa, looking up, from the right underside front
Pic 3: looking down the tunnel to the road.

What do ya'll think? Any other ideas?

(OBVIOUSLY: make sure you test out the fit BEFORE you go riding; to make sure it doesn't interfere with turning, etc.)
Attached Images

dkgruv123 and DuraPater like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 24-Apr-2019, 12:59 PM (749)

Perfect application for a 3D printer to test out designs. I'd love a solution to quiet things down. Can't wait to wear out my stock tires and get to new ones!
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 29-May-2019, 04:27 PM (894)

Herb, great idea. I’d actually been pondering the same concept and thinking of jerry rigging something around the forks to block the sound but not impede the steering. I read in another thread someone had packed in polystyrene.
Can you share your template?
I wonder why BMW doesn’t make one for the 1200’s~. With dB levels pasted on the steering column, clearly they’re aware of the noise.

post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 30-May-2019, 08:41 AM (570)
Super Awesom Person

The noise doesn't bother me so much as the wind coming up from the forks. I wonder it it will help with that.

Rick
2018 R1200GS
post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 21-Jun-2019, 07:11 AM (507)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick92040 View Post
The noise doesn't bother me so much as the wind coming up from the forks. I wonder it it will help with that.
The current Africa Twin (post 2016) has exactly the same problem, noise and wind travelling up the fork tunnel and causing buffeting, particularly for those wearing adventure style helmets. I had an AT a couple of bikes back and there were plenty of posts on the forum about the issue.

Some entrepreneurial type eventually came up with a design for a plastic shroud that closed the gap between forks and tank as much as is possible without restricting the steering movement. Probably made a fortune considering what 5 cents worth of laser cut plastic sheet was being sold for!
post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 24-Jun-2019, 04:52 AM (411)

When I got my 2006 R1200GS on it last year the dealer had put on new Metzler Torrance Nexts on it and I really liked the tires but after 5,000 miles they were well worn and not what I was hoping for as far as longevity.

Changed out to Anakee 3's. I put the rear tire on and went for a ride and thought I had driveline whine. Put the front tire on and its even noisier but I am getting excellent wear out of them and they perform well. At 5,000 miles both tires still have well over 1/2 thread.

Still the noise problem persist and actually get worse as they wear. Now when moving long at anything over 40 MPH and lean the bike into a turn and the front really starts to howl. Straighten the bike up and it get quieter.

I have never had a set of tires last like this. As much as I hate the howl I lover the performance and longevity. Certainly an instance of can't have your cake and eat it too.
post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 27-Jun-2019, 03:49 PM (867)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Welch View Post
Been lurking this thread, and now I'm ready to chime-in with my observations, and an idea of how to minimize (or even fix) this issue.

The problem as I see it, is that the road/tire noise is being funneled straight up to the rider, and IMO, the solution isn't to change the tires, rather it's to re-direct or block the sound. Stay with me.

My previous bike was a 2015 F800GSA; and after a few months of ownership, I shipped my forks to have them upgraded. When I re-installed them a few weeks later, I neglected to re-install a plate-sized plastic part that sits between the forks. Immediately upon riding, I experienced a very loud road noise that wasn't previously there. Once I realized my mistake, I reinstalled that part, and voila, that loud noise was back to it's normal low level.

That plate-sized plastic part, present on the F800GSA, is called a fork bridge cover (photo attached.) Now, before you run out and buy one, it doesn't fit the 1200--so save yourself the $33.12 + shipping. (btw, I have one for sale... brand new)

I've been experimenting with a few pieces of thick cardboard, which I laminated, and zip-tied between the forks. The laminated cardboard layers do a good job of dampening/blocking the noise, so I'm going to construct a more durable test model, from a few sheets of kydex.

I don't have photos of the cardboard mock-up, but you can see what it's mimicking, and how it could work on your bike.

Pic 1: the part itself
Pic 2: the part installed on the f800gsa, looking up, from the right underside front
Pic 3: looking down the tunnel to the road.

What do ya'll think? Any other ideas?

(OBVIOUSLY: make sure you test out the fit BEFORE you go riding; to make sure it doesn't interfere with turning, etc.)
The KTM 1290 Adventure has the same fork bridge and interestingly the steering tunnel walls are covered in smooth plastic. Sooo nice to ride and not be ear bashed.

Did some back to back comparisons using the Decibel X app and my phone attached in the same position and angle to the handle bars, and I reckon the 1250 is on average 10dB noisier. Substantial when you consider hearing safety.
post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 28-Jun-2019, 01:11 AM (258)

A guy on the UKGser forum posted this that he had made out of ABS and it looks fantastic.
Attached Images

Joe Bar and RTTX like this.

Last edited by Buster1450; 28-Jun-2019 at 01:15 AM (260).
post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 28-Jun-2019, 07:45 AM (531)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster1450 View Post
A guy on the UKGser forum posted this that he had made out of ABS and it looks fantastic.
It does look good! Definitely interested.
Do you mind sharing the forum link? Thank you.
post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 29-Jun-2019, 07:16 AM (511)

A fix for a non problem! Or maybe just wear better ear plugs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode