Tunnel noise from front tire - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-Dec-2018, 03:51 AM (411) Thread Starter

Location: Maryville, Tennessee... About 40 miles from the Dragon
Tunnel noise from front tire

Ok, wimp here..... has anyone found a tire that does not echo road noise straight up to your ears from the front wheel? I have the orig 18 GSA tire on and not sure if its the shape of bike or actual tire that makes all the tunnel noise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-Dec-2018, 07:55 AM (579)

I have the same bike, I believe it's the tunnel around the front forks that funnels the road/tire noise directly to your head. Earplugs are my answer, you soon learn to ignore the noise
dkgruv123 likes this.

Riding "Sir Falls Downalot"

A wish is a desire without an attempt.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-Dec-2018, 08:08 AM (588)
Super Awesom Person

Yep..The stock Michelin Anakee tire is noisy. I don't do a lot of dirt so I'm running the Dunlop Roadsmart 3 and love them and yes I use them for the occasional dirt road. A very quiet, sticky tire. If your stuck on a "adventure" type tire people are happy with the Dunlop Trailsmart https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/201...orcycle-tires/
dkgruv123, Southpaw and todcp like this.

Rick
2018 R1200GS

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-Dec-2018, 09:29 AM (645)

Location: Livin' in a Poor Man's Shangri, La. aka New Orleans
as mentioned the anakee 3 is very noisy, imo.
Been happy with the road noise, or lack of it, from Pirelli scorpion Trail II and the Metzeler Tourance Next for the riding I do--mostly asphalt. Very happy with their lifespan and their grip also.
dkgruv123 likes this.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-Dec-2018, 06:12 AM (508)

tire noise

My experience is very similar. Even the most street oriented tires (Michelin 4 GT) are very noisy between 50 and 70 kph. Its the bike not the tires.
Bruce
dkgruv123 likes this.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-Dec-2018, 09:48 AM (658)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CallanderGS View Post
My experience is very similar. Even the most street oriented tires (Michelin 4 GT) are very noisy between 50 and 70 kph. Its the bike not the tires.
Bruce
In my experience it's a bit of both. This bikes certainly tunnels the front tire noise upwards to its driver. Clearly, loud tires, such as the Michelin A3, just worsen the effect. I found the scorpion trail 2 much quieter.

On very smooth roads I can hear the front tire work, and can tell when I shift on the side of the tire, the pitch changes. Quite cool actually. A lot less so on noisy bad roads on long trips. Ear plugs all the way.
dkgruv123 likes this.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-Dec-2018, 10:45 AM (698)
'05 R 1200 Gs

2 things tunnel up these bikes. Tire/road noise and engine generated heat. I have a small thermometer mounted on the left fender fairing and it indicates a temperature about 20 degrees higher than ambient temperature. The nature of the beast. My new Shinko E 705 is much quieter than The Michelin Anakee III.
dkgruv123 likes this.

'05 1200 GS
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-Dec-2018, 09:50 PM (160)

Tourance Next

I had Tourance Next on my 05 R1200Gs, and they were great road tyres, very grippy, and lasted well. Hopeless on mud or slippery stuff. New bike (2017 GS) has the very noisy Anake III. Ill be looking around when it comes time to replace them.
dkgruv123 likes this.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-Feb-2019, 05:01 AM (459)

Wow! Same problem here. Just traded my old 2004 1200GS for my dream bike 1250hp and my ears are ringing after only an hour on the bike. Awesome bike but the noise funneling up from the front tire is horrendous. It will be my daily commute so not thrilled about having to worry about whether I have packed my ear plugs or not. The bike came stock with Bridgestone Battlax Adventure tires. If it is only the tire, I’ll change it in a flash, but it sounds (pun intended) as though it is also a problem with the design of the front-end. I wonder if all the cheap plastic fairing bits and pieces actually amplifies the sound. Be interesting to know the decibels echoing around the cockpit. For a bike that has supposedly gone through a number of evelotions since the first 1200, this sure seems like a giant leap backwards. Is this a problem on all the LC GS’s? Is there really no better fix than having to ride with ear plugs? Suggestions welcome.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-Feb-2019, 06:25 AM (517)

If you guys aren't wearing ear protection every time you throw your leg over your bike, you are definitely damaging your ears and no, it doesn't matter how quiet you think your helmet is. Search around on here for hearing protection threads and you'll find some very solid and informative threads on this subject.

I'd sooner ride without my helmet than my hearing protection. Tinnitus, hearing aids, and not being able to understand anything in a crowded room - all that stinks and wouldn't wish it anyone. If you're riding without hearing protection, all of that is in your future.

Current scooters:
'16 R1200GS Triple Black
'16 KTM Super Duke 1290R
'18 Yamaha WR250R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode