TPS info - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-Dec-2018, 11:30 AM (729) Thread Starter

Garage
TPS info

I picked up a nail in the rear tire of my 2015 1200GS, I used a can of fix a flat to get to the closest bike shop. I purchased a new tire and paid for mounting and balancing. After they mounted the new tire the wheel leaked air out of the tire pressure sensor. Their mechanic claimed I ruined it by driving 1 mile with low pressure. I know that he screwed it up when he changed tires. It was showing 4 PSI when I pulled into the shop.
Is it even possible for bend a TPS on a 2015 1200 GS by riding it flat or with low pressure? I need some real info before I go back and have a talk with the manager and or go to small claims over this. A new BMW TPS is 402 dollars, more than I am willing to let go of peacefully.
Thanks, any info would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-Dec-2018, 01:34 PM (815)

Garage
Ahem...

Fix a Flat? I guess but most "plug and pump". Had the "goo" worked you would have had far more than 4 psi in a motorcycle tire? I've inflated truck tires after truly spiking them and achieved 25/30 psi off of one can but wouldn't use it on my motorcycle anyway.

I was force to ride a mile at 10 psi due to pump failure, trying to reach a commercial source. It was like swimming. The bead held up (I don't know how) and I never exceeded 10 mph. I can't speak to the durability of TP sensor being squashed between the rubber and the road but who knows?

Was your tire shop a respected outfit? No experienced M/C tire changer should have a problem with TPS. Good luck and cheers but I'd spend the money on a TPS rather than a lawyer.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-Dec-2018, 01:47 PM (824)
Super Awesom Person

I rode mine a mile or more with a totally flat back tire. Didn't damage the rim or the TPMS sender. I would think he damaged it with his tire machine. A very easy thing to do.

Rick
2018 R1200GS

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-Dec-2018, 02:22 PM (848) Thread Starter

Garage
Idiots

I am positive that me riding the bike for a mile with a low /flat tire did not damage anything. I am looking for a resource to convince the manager or if that fails a Judge that their inexperienced mechanic bent the TPS when he changed tires. I replaced the TPS,$403 with tax plus $316 for the tire so this is a very expensive flat .
I am sure if I come up with some sort of reliable reference like a BMW memo or bulletin the manager will cut me a check.
Anybody out there know of anything ?

BMW 1200GS
Guzzi Lemans
Guzzi Griso
Guzzi 1200S
Honda Shadow 500
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-Dec-2018, 04:34 PM (940)
Survivor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebochi View Post
I am positive that me riding the bike for a mile with a low /flat tire did not damage anything. I am looking for a resource to convince the manager or if that fails a Judge that their inexperienced mechanic bent the TPS when he changed tires. I replaced the TPS,$403 with tax plus $316 for the tire so this is a very expensive flat .
I am sure if I come up with some sort of reliable reference like a BMW memo or bulletin the manager will cut me a check.
Anybody out there know of anything ?
I do not believe you should be so sure. You certainly could damage the sensor by riding on a flat just as the tech could have damaged it while changing the tire. Right now it is impossible to tell what caused the damage. I personally believe it is more likely that the damage was caused by the tire change, but the devil is in the details of how flat the tire was (4 PSI is pretty low), how far you rode it and other variables. You are unlikely to find a smoking gun written somewhere that proves your case and all you will find here are anecdotes and the opinions of "Idiots". What kind of fool would seekout and rely on the opinions of idiots?

Your best bet is to try to workout a compromise with the dealer on the bill. Perhaps they will throw in the labor for free. I believe a TPMS sensor runs around $250. If that is true, then they charged you $150 labor to install and synch the sensor. Pretty steep given that the wheel was already off the bike for the flat. They may have charged you extra because of all that goo you stuck in the tire... I know I would have, but then I am an Idiot.

Kevin
The Outpost, Silver City, Montana
Team Pterodactyl
2018 Ural Gear Up, 2017 R1200GSA
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-Dec-2018, 04:51 PM (952)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pterodactyl View Post
You are unlikely to find a smoking gun written somewhere that proves your case and all you will find here are anecdotes and the opinions of "Idiots". What kind of fool would seekout and rely on the opinions of idiots?

They may have charged you extra because of all that goo you stuck in the tire... I know I would have, but then I am an Idiot.
Idiot opinion author guilty as charged.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-Dec-2018, 04:58 PM (957)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick92040 View Post
I rode mine a mile or more with a totally flat back tire. Didn't damage the rim or the TPMS sender. I would think he damaged it with his tire machine. A very easy thing to do.
You sir are a motorcycle navigator. Riding the same distance at 10 psi was near impossible. Riding on the rim is quite the trick. OK, let's hear distance record runs on a flat...
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-Dec-2018, 08:08 PM (088) Thread Starter

Garage
Update

Idiots refers to the people who damaged the sender, not forum members of who I am asking for advice and info. I rode the bike about a mile at slow speed . Starting pressure was 20 psi, when parked at the dealer it was 4 PSI. The Goo was oozing out of the hole in the tire not the TPS. The damage to the sender is that it is bent, not crushed. The dealer who screwed up is not a BMW dealer. I wound up taking the tire and rim to a BMW dealer 20 miles away. So far polite conversation has got me nothing

BMW 1200GS
Guzzi Lemans
Guzzi Griso
Guzzi 1200S
Honda Shadow 500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode