Tires for Transtiaga and James Bay route - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 14-Dec-2018, 08:09 PM (090) Thread Starter

Garage
Tires for Transtiaga and James Bay route

Considering these routes next Spring and getting new tires soon. I have Anakee 3s. Would any one who has taken James Bay (Baie) or James Bay up to Transtiaga let me know if they think I can get away with another pair of the Anakees on this gravel or do I need to switch to a more off-road tire? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 23-Dec-2018, 11:41 AM (737) Thread Starter

Garage
Answering my own post. Been looking thru AdvRider where it's thought that my Anakees might suffice for paved James Baie, but more mud worthy Mitas E10 Dakar rears and TKC 80 fronts (or TKC80 R and F) are suggested for Trans Tiaga. Mitas are a bit thicker and thus more durable which makes the TKC a bit easier to pull off / put on. Speaking of which, it's been suggested that TransTiaga shreds tires and so bringing an extra pair might be worthwhile. It's probably 3400 miles round trip. So if I am bringing an extra pair anyway, I might promote to priority the ease of changing a shredded tire on gravel road: ie Anakee's up to TransTiaga and then shoe some TKCs for the 800 mile round trip on TT, carrying an extra pair.

Last edited by goethe; 23-Dec-2018 at 11:44 AM (738).
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 24-Dec-2018, 01:52 PM (828)

Garage
Iíve only been as far as Matagami,and the road was surprisingly good,much better than I anticipated..the TT in the spring could be a challenge for anakees..they might be able to pull it off in the late summer or fall if it was dry for some time..donít think itís worth the risk though..I hope to do the top half this fall,at least up to Radisson,possibly the TT...the black flies I think are the biggest challenge..bring a strong repellent and plenty of bounce dryer sheets to stuff in your gear..Iíve had some success with them while fishing up north...good luck and looking forwards to your report on this adventure

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 24-Dec-2018, 05:03 PM (960) Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowbar View Post
Iíve only been as far as Matagami,and the road was surprisingly good,much better than I anticipated..the TT in the spring could be a challenge for anakees..they might be able to pull it off in the late summer or fall if it was dry for some time..donít think itís worth the risk though..I hope to do the top half this fall,at least up to Radisson,possibly the TT...the black flies I think are the biggest challenge..bring a strong repellent and plenty of bounce dryer sheets to stuff in your gear..Iíve had some success with them while fishing up north...good luck and looking forwards to your report on this adventure
Ive heard August is good for avoiding the pests. What does Bounce do?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 25-Dec-2018, 02:28 AM (353)

Garage
Late August,early September is the ideal time as far as the pests are concerned...the bounce sheets are another way to fight off the black flies...something about the scent they don’t like..you can tuck them under your sleeves at the wrist and ankles,and back of the neck to help keep them from getting under your clothes...also help at the entrance of your tent..they love getting under your clothing and feasting..used in conjunction with a strong repellent seems to help..when stopping for breaks while riding,try picking open areas on the road..avoiding the dense brush helps..slow riding on the rough TT can be difficult if these thing are crawling under your gear and chewing away taking divots out of you repeatedly.. they are relentless,you will want to use any means at your disposal to ward them off...windy days are good

Good luck

Last edited by Crowbar; 25-Dec-2018 at 02:34 AM (357).
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 25-Dec-2018, 11:31 AM (729) Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowbar View Post
Late August,early September is the ideal time as far as the pests are concerned...the bounce sheets are another way to fight off the black flies...something about the scent they donít like..you can tuck them under your sleeves at the wrist and ankles,and back of the neck to help keep them from getting under your clothes...also help at the entrance of your tent..they love getting under your clothing and feasting..used in conjunction with a strong repellent seems to help..when stopping for breaks while riding,try picking open areas on the road..avoiding the dense brush helps..slow riding on the rough TT can be difficult if these thing are crawling under your gear and chewing away taking divots out of you repeatedly.. they are relentless,you will want to use any means at your disposal to ward them off...windy days are good

Good luck
thanks a lot. will do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode