Pilot Road 5 Trail tires - Page 2 - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 20-Feb-2019, 05:37 AM (484)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAS View Post
If you canít trust what people post about tire characteristics because you donít know the people, why would you trust what they say about tire mileage? I do agree that one should not rely on any single post of someone who one does not know. I also agree that tire characteristics are difficult to quantify and that perceptions of different people as to them may vary making them less than scientifically accurate. However, that is true for most things in life that people rate, yet ratings are made and reliable when considered en masse. That is to say, if everyone on Yelp pans a restaurant, itís probably not a good restaurant. If all but one person reports that the food at a restaurant is top notch and the one claims that it is tasteless, you can be fairly confident that the one is not a reliable source and that generally the food at the restaurant is good.
You and the OP may be right about the size of a contact patch on a motorcycle depending on whether the bike is upright, leaned over, under throttle or brake, the type of tire, etc. As I understand it, the shape is actually oblong when the bike is upright and stationary. In your example the bike was stationary. Was it on the kickstand?
Until there is a Yelp for tires app... I, personally, won't trust the mileage either. I was stating it more from people that are willing to post about tires would be more inclined to post mileage over qualitative as it is a real number they can trust.

And my bike was on the center stand. The tire left a nice, crisp, oval contact patch. A CC is ~7.5sq. in. and I'd say that's about the size of it.

We totally hi-jacked this thread.
chaostrophy likes this.

Current:
'17 BMW R1200GS Rallye
'15 KTM Duke 390

Previous:
'03 Kawasaki Z1000
'95 Honda VFR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 20-Feb-2019, 07:46 AM (574)
Super Awesom Person

This is the contact patch from a Dunlop Roadsmart 2. Not all brands are like this but it is the reason I keep buying Dunlop.
Attached Images

Sed8r and chaostrophy like this.

Rick
2018 R1200GS
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 20-Feb-2019, 08:27 AM (602)
LAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowcruzr View Post
Until there is a Yelp for tires app... I, personally, won't trust the mileage either. I was stating it more from people that are willing to post about tires would be more inclined to post mileage over qualitative as it is a real number they can trust.

And my bike was on the center stand. The tire left a nice, crisp, oval contact patch. A CC is ~7.5sq. in. and I'd say that's about the size of it.

We totally hi-jacked this thread.
Canít argue with you on any of that, including the unintended thread hijack, for which I apologize to the OP.
Sed8r and chaostrophy like this.

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 20-Feb-2019, 08:32 AM (605)
LAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick92040 View Post
This is the contact patch from a Dunlop Roadsmart 2. Not all brands are like this but it is the reason I keep buying Dunlop.
After I posted my now concededly erroneous comment about contact patch size and saw another post critical of it on this thread, I went to the net to find out if the other posts were correct and found the Dunlop illustration that you posted. I tried to add it to my post but couldnít get it done. You obviously have better skills than I do in that regard!
Sed8r and Rick92040 like this.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 24-Feb-2019, 08:20 AM (597)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAS View Post
My pet peeves about motorcycle tire threads:
Why, judging from threads about tires, is it that at any, correction, every, given instant while riding a motorcycle, the most important concerns about the bikeís tires that the rider has are whether the tires will grip the road or slide away and whether the tires are making control of the bike difficult, in other words, grip and handling. Yet, once the ride is over and the time comes to consider new tires, the most important criteria for making that decision are not grip or handling, but how many miles one can go before having to make that decision again.
With rare exception, posts on motorcycle forum threads about tires begin and, all too often also end, with only a report about how many miles the poster was able to coax out of the particular brand and model of tires the poster was reporting on before the tires were totally worn out.
I donít mean to pick on this particular poster or his post, but the post is a classic example of a typical post about what tires are the best for a particular motorcycle starting with its title ďLooking forward to your WEAR report.Ē The post informs about how many miles the poster and others were able to go on different models of tires as the basis for recommending that readers make their choices for their next sets of tires without even a glancing mention anywhere in the post about how well those models gripped the road or handled in any situation.
For me, while I would like to know whether a particular model of tire wears unduly faster than others, that is the least of the criteria that I use to choose what tires I will risk my life and limb riding on and/or what tires will give me the most enjoyment while they are on my bike. But rarely do posts in tire threads address these criteria.
It never happens in other contexts that a motorcyclist will brag about how gingerly he/she was able to ride a twisty road or highway or how slowly one is able to twist his/her throttle or apply his/her brakes when riding; the things that make it possible for the rider to get the most miles out of a set of tires before the wear bars show. Yet, when it comes to tire threads, all too many of
those who post canít wait to brag about the number of miles they were able to get from their favorite choice of tire. I, for one, find such posts to be useless except for the humor that they be provide in that I canít help but read them as saying. ďForget all those tall tales that I have been spinning about how aggressively I ride, the truth is, I ride like a 95 year old grandma, as the fantastically unbelievable number of miles Iím perfectly willing to disclose to you without shame or embarrassment I was able to get out of my tires attests.Ē
Then, there is the flip side of such posts: those whose writers have figured out that reporting on miles one gets out of oneís tire tells readers about the riding style of the poster: these posters canít wait to report how few miles they get: ď I had a set of Trailblazer O76s on my bike. They wore so fast that I had to turn around on my trip home from the installer to get new tires.Ē
Really, is anyone buying either kind of BS?
To me, the truth of the matter is that whoever you are and however you ride, you can expect to get somewhere between 5,000 and 7,000 miles from a set of street tires on an R1200GS or GSA; somewhat less for off road or partial off road tires. Many factors account for these vaiences, not just the quality or design of the tires. The real differences in brands and models come in how they grip, how they handle, how quickly they loose their profile, how much confidence they instill in the rider because of these factors, how noisy or quiet they are. Thatís what I want to know when I read a tire thread.
Am I alone in this thinking?
Depends on your usage. I'll do more than 30k miles this year, I want tire life, and to not have pavement handling suck too badly. I just put Road 5 Trails on my 2005 GS, we'll see how that works out.

Sent from my S70 using Tapatalk

Last edited by chaostrophy; 24-Feb-2019 at 08:23 AM (599).
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 24-Feb-2019, 10:45 AM (698)
LAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaostrophy View Post
Depends on your usage. I'll do more than 30k miles this year, I want tire life, and to not have pavement handling suck too badly. I just put Road 5 Trails on my 2005 GS, we'll see how that works out.

I will also do more than 30K miles this year; and I want all of them to be on tires that perform well-that is, they grip in the conditions that I predominantly ride in and make handling the bike in those conditions easy and, therefor, enjoyable. For reasons of safety and fun, I will gladly take tires off my bikes sooner rather than ride on them when grip and performance is compromised just because there is tread life left. For the same reasons, I will also put tires on my bike with principal strengths of good grip and handling over tires with the principal strength of long tread life.
That I put as many miles behind me on a motorcycle is more, not less, reason to want tires that grip and handle well throughout their life even if their life is not as long as other tires that get great wear but loose their profiles early.
This said, I would make a concession to longer wear if I was planning a trip predominantly on slab in excess of 5,000 miles. On such a trip, even the worst performing tires these days will perform well enough and it would be easier for me if I didn’t have to have to make a change mid trip. However, I don’t see myself on that kind of trip as that would not be my idea of a fun trip. For trips that I do enjoy and will take, if the trip will exceed 5,000 miles, it’s likely that somewhere along the way, there will be a shop that can change my tires while I rest for an hour or two, get a bite to eat. Probably, the same place where I would get an oil change.
Good luck with the new tires. I’m interested to know how they perform. Hopefully, they will give both performance and long life.

Last edited by LAS; 24-Feb-2019 at 10:49 AM (701).
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 19-Mar-2019, 01:16 PM (761)

Update on my Road 5 Trail after month and a few thousand miles, liking them so far, not done any serious canyon carving, but aside from a little weirdness as you start to lean over, I've been quite happy. Plenty of the life left. Would not want to try them off road!

Rick92040 likes this.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 17-Apr-2019, 04:16 PM (886) Thread Starter

Garage
Wow this thread went sideways. You guys take this Internet sharing stuff way too seriously.

Now, for the update on the tires. 2,000+ miles on them and I LOVE them.

Grip: Much more grip than the Anakee 3 tires and before one of you flame me I know the A3’s are supposed to be on/off road. Stupid me went out the first weekend I got them (first ride fresh out of the box with all the mold release etc still on them) on Sunday morning 10 degrees and black ice all over the place. I mean I was stupid going out. Even though I made a bad choice the tires saved my butt. Big time. In 60 degree weather they are GREAT and they love the twisties on the R1200GS. Actually in all temps they are great even on ice at 40+ mph.

Rain: I am not the best person to rate this as I am a cautious rider in the rain (obviously not the ice). I did not have an issue with either tire in the rain and I have ridden quiet often in the rain on both.

Noise: Much less. Much much less noise than the A3’s. They are very quite tires.

Vibration: They win here as well over the A3’s. The vibration I was getting at all speeds but certainly around 75mph is far less.

Stability: Once in a while I felt the A3’s grabbing lines or tar strips in the road but it was not overly concerning. I have not felt that in the pilot 5 trials.

Wear: I really don’t care (sorry guys). If you do you would have cried if you saw how much rubber was left in the A3’s when they went in the bin. That being said they look like they are wearing much less than the A3’s at 2k miles. Subjective I know.

Hope this helps someone, if not it’s more bits in the Internet bucket.

Best
Rick92040 likes this.

Last edited by jambo; 17-Apr-2019 at 04:25 PM (892).
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 18-Apr-2019, 06:10 AM (465)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaostrophy View Post
Update on my Road 5 Trail after month and a few thousand miles, liking them so far, not done any serious canyon carving, but aside from a little weirdness as you start to lean over, I've been quite happy. Plenty of the life left. Would not want to try them off road!

Finally, been waiting for an update. This threads been off somewhere having a "moment". I managed to keep skipping it all while looking for this. So if I may, what exactly do you mean by "a little weirdness"
Aannnnd why are you not up for "any" off road with them. I mean I can see there isn't much aggression there but I've done some reasonable trails on road tires. They're of no use to me with zero ability. Lemmi know if you do end up on the trail and thanks for the update.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 18-Apr-2019, 06:24 AM (475)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Also Ran View Post
Finally, been waiting for an update. This threads been off somewhere having a "moment". I managed to keep skipping it all while looking for this. So if I may, what exactly do you mean by "a little weirdness"

Aannnnd why are you not up for "any" off road with them. I mean I can see there isn't much aggression there but I've done some reasonable trails on road tires. They're of no use to me with zero ability. Lemmi know if you do end up on the trail and thanks for the update.
Well, if you compare the tread pattern with the Road 5, I don't see much if any difference. They make 3 more dirt oriented tire series than these. As to the weirdness, it's just a little bit of wiggle at about as hard a turn as you get on a freeway at speeds that won't get you a ticket, I think it's from the transition to the grippy compound on the sides of the tread. If I were cornering hard and it did that, it would bother me, but it doesn't matter because I'm no where near my or the bikes limits. I've gone off pavement a few miles, didn't like sand at all ;-) but I don't know what I'm doing.

Also Ran likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode