Tires and Handling - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 9Likes
  • 7 Post By Pterodactyl
  • 1 Post By saughblade
  • 1 Post By Stixx
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 21-Jan-2019, 06:03 PM (002) Thread Starter
GS (and DR)
 
marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 2,910
Tires and Handling

Last week my GS felt funny. Turns were not right. Going straight down the road was OK. I looked at the front tire and saw some uneven wear. There was plenty of tread left, but the tire was over 15K miles old. I figured that was my handling issue and ordered a new tire. I rode my DR650 instead of the GS until I could get the new tire mounted. That was the job for today.


Hmmmm... Maybe, just maybe, the front tire wasn't the cause of my handling issues.
Attached Images
 
marc is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 21-Jan-2019, 10:13 PM (176)
Senior Member
 
bmwbob51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 692
15k

I know of no one that can get 15K miles from a MC tire!
bmwbob51 is offline  
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 22-Jan-2019, 06:02 AM (501)
Survivor
 
Pterodactyl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Big Sky Country
Posts: 595
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc View Post
Last week my GS felt funny. Turns were not right. Going straight down the road was OK. I looked at the front tire and saw some uneven wear. There was plenty of tread left, but the tire was over 15K miles old. I figured that was my handling issue and ordered a new tire. I rode my DR650 instead of the GS until I could get the new tire mounted. That was the job for today.


Hmmmm... Maybe, just maybe, the front tire wasn't the cause of my handling issues.
You need to ask for your money back. That tire was made flat on the bottom.
marc, Southpaw, Ryno23 and 4 others like this.

Kevin
The Outpost, Silver City, Montana
Team Pterodactyl
2018 Ural Gear Up, 2017 R1200GSA
Pterodactyl is offline  
 
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 22-Jan-2019, 10:25 AM (684) Thread Starter
GS (and DR)
 
marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 2,910
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwbob51 View Post
I know of no one that can get 15K miles from a MC tire!
Try the Shinko 705 on the front of your GS.

Most tires I get somewhere between 6K and 8K of life. That's what I got with my last 705 on the rear. For whatever reason the front 705 wore quite slow. It will be interesting to see if the replacement front 705 wears the same.

I couldn't reliably plug the rear. Its replacement is on order. More here ==> https://www.snafu.org/pics/r1200gsw/...21-front-tire/

Last edited by marc; 22-Jan-2019 at 10:28 AM (686).
marc is offline  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 22-Jan-2019, 10:36 AM (691)
Super Awesom Person
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: San Diego
Posts: 260
On the big holes I use these. https://www.amazon.com/Tru-Flate-15-...5STEMG9E78ZZPD

Rick
2018 R1200GS
Rick92040 is offline  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 22-Jan-2019, 04:07 PM (921)
Senile Member on 2006 GS
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Ill-Annoy, USA
Posts: 238
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pterodactyl View Post
You need to ask for your money back. That tire was made flat on the bottom.
It's supposed to be that way--it's an Earth Tire (tm)...
Dr. Strangelove likes this.
saughblade is offline  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 22-Jan-2019, 05:59 PM (999)
Senior Member
 
bmwbob51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc View Post
Try the Shinko 705 on the front of your GS.

Most tires I get somewhere between 6K and 8K of life. That's what I got with my last 705 on the rear. For whatever reason the front 705 wore quite slow. It will be interesting to see if the replacement front 705 wears the same.

I couldn't reliably plug the rear. Its replacement is on order. More here ==> https://www.snafu.org/pics/r1200gsw/...21-front-tire/
I've run Shinko 705s for the last 30K plus miles on my 2014 GS. I'll give you the front doesn't seem to wear very fast. I get 4K on the rear and feel it's time for the front to go with the second rear replacement. I ride mostly twisties!
bmwbob51 is offline  
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 23-Jan-2019, 07:01 PM (042)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Brisbane Australia
Posts: 9
15k + Front and Rear Tyres

I have a 2016 GS and got 17700km(11000 miles) from my original Anekee IIIs, 18500km(11500 miles) from my 1st set of Conti TKC 70s and 9600km(6000 miles) out of my current set of Conti TKC 70s. My riding covers both sealed and unsealed roads. I could have eked out a few more km from both sets but needed to change each time before a long trip. I'm light and usually travel with a pillion on sealed roads but solo on unsealed roads. Compared to what some in this forum say they get from their tyres, I reckon I'm getting pretty good wear out of mine.
Neveraboreingride is offline  
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 24-Jan-2019, 08:35 AM (608)
Super Awesom Person
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: San Diego
Posts: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neveraboreingride View Post
I Compared to what some in this forum say they get from their tyres, I reckon I'm getting pretty good wear out of mine.
Yea.. But are you having fun?

Rick
2018 R1200GS
Rick92040 is offline  
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 24-Jan-2019, 01:24 PM (808)
Lifetime Rider of Bikes
 
Stixx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Suburbs of Atlanta
Posts: 41
Garage
Tire wear saga once more

My brother gets 16000 miles on his v strom , but he rides like an old lady. I have learned though that if i am on a long trip and need to get maximum mileage from my tires , i can avoid hard acceleration and exiting turns aggressively and avoid speeds over the limit and get amazing gas mileage from both my bikes and tire wear that is exceptional . On a rear tire on my gs i still don't think i'd ever see more than 9000 miles. It's just heavey bike with lots of torque and i use the mezzler tourance which are my go to tire regardles and have had great service from them on several bikes
chaostrophy likes this.
Stixx is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome